CrazyBoards.org

Schizoaffective & Antidepressants

I don’t know what category my question goes under, as I do have multiple symptoms in like 3-4 other categories. So, I’ll just try it here...

Hi everyone. I have schizoaffective disorder-bipolar type, GAD and I also struggle with sever depression. 

Right now, I am currently on Nortriptyline 75mg 3x/day. This dose goes beyond the maximum dose and I’m still struggling with tiredness and just a low, funky, depressive mood all day. All and all, this particular antidepressant isn’t necessarily helping me.

So here’s the thing. I used to take Wellbutrin like a decade ago before I was even known to have schizoaffecfive, so my anxiety at the time went through the roof without realizing the underlying issues of a disorder unknown to me at the time. Fast forward a decade later, I’m on a completely different regimen now and I just would like to know if anyone else has schizoaffective disorder, GAD and/or depression like me who is currently on Wellbutrin. I just want to gain some insight from people with my condition (all of any symptom) about Wellbutrin and if it was a life saver for them or not. And if Wellbutrin isn’t a favorable med, could you guys give me some insight for what works for a schizo/bipolar diagnosis? You can even drop antidepressant names and I can do a little research as well to see what my options are. Maybe there are some I’ve never heard of that could possibly work me.

I’m going to talk to my pdoc about this for sure. I just want to make sure I have enough insight/info from others so that I can know what to suggest to her in case it may help her and I figure out what might or might not work. I’m sure my pdoc will know, but doctors don’t always or exactly know how their patients really feel on a daily basis. Only patients can really tell their doctors what exactly is going on with them, hence why I’d love your feedback in case you’ve gone through what I’m going through now.

I’m no doctor, I know, but hearing other peoples’ experiences gives me some insight about what I can talk to my pdoc about. 

What does Wellbutrin feel like when you are on it?

Edited by Oniliscious
Typos

It's really hard to say how a med will effect you until you try it. The big thing with bipolar and antidepressants is the possibility of them triggering mania. So you should titrate slowly and be on a mood stabilizer. Latuda is suppose to help with bipolar depression. Have you gotten any relief from it? Perhaps you could contact your pdoc and ask to go to 120mg (the max dose)

You really cannot base your med decisions based on the way a med affected others. You have to try it yourself as each individual reacts differently. Predicting how will or will not do well on a meds is not within our scientific ability. Millions take a med so one person's response has little bearing on your results.

On 12/15/2018 at 11:24 AM, Oniliscious said:

I don’t know what category my question goes under, as I do have multiple symptoms in like 3-4 other categories. So, I’ll just try it here...

Hi everyone. I have schizoaffective disorder-bipolar type, GAD and I also struggle with sever depression. 

Right now, I am currently on Nortriptyline 75mg 3x/day. This dose goes beyond the maximum dose and I’m still struggling with tiredness and just a low, funky, depressive mood all day. All and all, this particular antidepressant isn’t necessarily helping me.

So here’s the thing. I used to take Wellbutrin like a decade ago before I was even known to have schizoaffecfive, so my anxiety at the time went through the roof without realizing the underlying issues of a disorder unknown to me at the time. Fast forward a decade later, I’m on a completely different regimen now and I just would like to know if anyone else has schizoaffective disorder, GAD and/or depression like me who is currently on Wellbutrin. I just want to gain some insight from people with my condition (all of any symptom) about Wellbutrin and if it was a life saver for them or not. And if Wellbutrin isn’t a favorable med, could you guys give me some insight for what works for a schizo/bipolar diagnosis? You can even drop antidepressant names and I can do a little research as well to see what my options are. Maybe there are some I’ve never heard of that could possibly work me.

I’m going to talk to my pdoc about this for sure. I just want to make sure I have enough insight/info from others so that I can know what to suggest to her in case it may help her and I figure out what might or might not work. I’m sure my pdoc will know, but doctors don’t always or exactly know how their patients really feel on a daily basis. Only patients can really tell their doctors what exactly is going on with them, hence why I’d love your feedback in case you’ve gone through what I’m going through now.

I’m no doctor, I know, but hearing other peoples’ experiences gives me some insight about what I can talk to my pdoc about. 

What does Wellbutrin feel like when you are on it?

Ymmv. I found Wellbutrin to cause way too much severe anxiety and panic. I had to get off of it. I still have some anxiety and panic but not nearly as bad. Anyway, I’m on a baby dose of lexapro now. My dr is starting slow due to the mania risk that comes with antidepressants. I have SZA bipolar type and GAD as well. 

I would second the idea of trying to increase your Latuda. It is supposed to help BP depression. Or possibly ask about lamictal as that is known for helping BP depression as well. 

Good luck! It’s hard to have BP depression. I wish you well on your journey to find the right meds. 

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

Interesting recommendation:

Aripiprazole.

Aripiprazole is a relatively new atypical antipsychotic and is well placed to help with your psychotic symptoms. What is truly interesting is that it is often prescribed for depression alone nowadays in low doses, and this effect is carried over to higher doses too. It will also treat manic symptoms.

Of course I'm not saying that it will 100% for certain cure all your ills, but I think it's a damn good idea to at least try, titrating up from 5mg daily to around 15mg daily.

I second aripiprazole (Abilify) as a possible med for your symptoms. Abilify + an antidepressant really lifted me out of a deep, deep depression. Since you are SZA bipolar type, it might even cause you to skyrocket so you have to keep an eye on it.

As to Wellbutrin ... I don't think it is a good idea for someone with anxiety. I have anxiety, and Wellbutrin made it all worse. Plus, Wellbutrin didn't really help my depression. I'm not saying that it wouldn't help yours. I'm just saying to be prepared for anxiety and irritability which are common side effects.

As always, YMMV. Good luck on your quest for a new effective med.

• 2 weeks later...

I would second previous recommendations. Wellbutrin can be one heck of an antidepressant for some people, but if anxiety is a prominent part of your condition, then Wellbutrin PROBABLY isn't for you. There are some people though who find that their anxiety magically disappears on Wellbutrin too though. So of course YMMV.

Then again, Abilify can be tricky starting up as well if anxiety is a prominent issue. Therefore, you would probably have to actually start at 5mg or 10mg to get past the initial activation phase more quickly as opposed to starting on 2mg and going really slowly. Looks like from your signature that you're on 80mg of Latuda so you'll probably find you need 10-15mg of Abilify perhaps. It is a very different medication though in chemical structure and mechanism of action at dopamine receptors though so you would just have to feel it out on your own and figure out how you respond to it.

I don't do Wellbutrin. It's not even fingered for the treatment of depression here. I took it for a while under the pretence of a smoking cessation aide, Zyban, but sadly fell prey to the ol' seizure problem. Once on a plane, twice at home. No recollection of any of them, but that's typical of grand mal seizures.