CrazyBoards.org

HELP--I take clonazepam every night, but my urine test negative for benzodiazepines?

Okay, I am freaking out a little now.......My state just started requiring urine tests for folks on controls....The only controlled drug I take is clonazepam.....

I take the 2mg clonazepam every night at bedtime......But, my urine test results came back negative for benzodiazepines....Just saw the results through my online account...

Why would the test show negative when I take it every night?.....I have a call in to my doc's office....I tend to be paranoid about this kind of thing....I am scared to death maybe she'll think I'm "diverting" my clonazepam, and cut me off.

I have read about online, some people on clonazepam testing negative for benzos?........Could I just be a fast metabolizer?.....Took the clonazepam about 10pm the night before the test.....Took test about 12:30pm the next day.

Anyways I'm scared.......What could be the reason?......Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Okay, my docs office called back and said they are ordering a more accurate( and more expensive ) test for the clonazepam.

Pdoc's nurse said insurance "should" cover it, because it is the law now in my state to be tested at least every 6 months...........Hope she's right....It's a pretty expensive test......**SIGH**

Edited by CrazyRedhead

ive been taking benzos for years. ive taken multiple drug tests.

only 2 times out of probably 10 have i tested positive.........and yes i take daily................crappy testing, diluted urine, many factors can occur, usually just crappy testing material

why do you need to retake a test, just because u tested negative?

Last time I did a drug test was a pre-employment screen. I was taking 1mg Xanax nightly, and 70mg Vyvanse daily. I tested positive for amphetamines (as expected - the lab confirmed my Rx and then reported it as a negative), but the Xanax didn’t show up. I know Xanax has a different half-life than Klonopin, but *shrug* maybe the test just sucks?

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

why do you need to retake a test, just because u tested negative?

My  state law now requires that people on controls have to take drug screenings, I think every 6 months or so--it's the opiate crisis coming back now and targeting folks on benzos, and other controls--The state wants to make sure we're taking what we're prescribed and not selling our meds-----**SIGH**

My pdoc has to do the second, more expensive test, because she has to make sure I'm positive for clonazepam before she can refill it......There is going be a lot of people here in my state paying for a lot of pee tests....Thanks, New Governor.....

I hope this doesn't become a trend in other states as well.......

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gb84 said:

Every drug test I've taken has always been negative for benzos.  I've been taking klonopin for 12 years.  Not sure why, but that is what happens for me as well.  Maybe my dose is too low to show up? 

No, it's probably not your dose-.....I was told by my pdoc that the basic drug urine screens most labs use, can't detect Klonopin, and sometimes not even Ativan, or Xanax......A more expensive test must be used to accurately detect some benzos.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

11 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

My  state law now requires that people on controls have to take drug screenings, I think every 6 months or so--it's the opiate crisis coming back now and targeting folks on benzos, and other controls--The state wants to make sure we're taking what we're prescribed and not selling our meds-----**SIGH**

My pdoc has to do the second, more expensive test, because she has to make sure I'm positive for clonazepam before she can refill it......There is going be a lot of people here in my state paying for a lot of pee tests....Thanks, New Governor.....

I hope this doesn't become a trend in other states as well.......

ahhh i got yah was just curious

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Last time I did a drug test was a pre-employment screen. I was taking 1mg Xanax nightly, and 70mg Vyvanse daily. I tested positive for amphetamines (as expected - the lab confirmed my Rx and then reported it as a negative), but the Xanax didn’t show up. I know Xanax has a different half-life than Klonopin, but *shrug* maybe the test just sucks?

Yes, the basic urine screens most employers would do, aren't very accurate when it comes to benzos.....

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

I posted on your post on my profile.

And you were very correct, it's the testing method used that makes the difference......Thanks again..!!

5 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

ahhh i got yah was just curious

No problem.......This new law is gonna be a PITA, though....

• Like 1

Drug testing is supposed to involve 2 steps. The first pee test dip stick is an antibody test, looking for antibodies to the suspected drugs. Usually Western Blot or ELISA. Quite inaccurate for drug testing many times but quick cheap and easy. Next a GC/MS is done, which is expensive. It is highly accurate as it is looking for the parent drug or it's metabolites. You send the negatives and/or positives from the first test to the GC/MS and with any discrepancy the result of the GC/MS is used. 

This pisses me off in so many ways. The State can bring serious charges based on a pee test, well known to be inaccurate despite a more accurate test existing. It is about money and not your rights.

BTW Gas Chromatography is a test that burns the sample and determines the exact point at which it burns. Every molecule burns at a different temperature. Mass Spectrometry measures the exact weight of one molecule. Every molecule weighs a different amount.  Put the results together and identification of a sample is highly accurate.

Glad to help you out with some science, Crazy.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, notloki said:

This pisses me off in so many ways. The State can bring serious charges based on a pee test, well known to be inaccurate despite a more accurate test existing. It is about money and not your rights.

BTW Gas Chromatography is a test that burns the sample and determines the exact point at which it burns. Every molecule burns at a different temperature. Mass Spectrometry measures the exact weight of one molecule. Every molecule weighs a different amount.  Put the results together and identification of a sample is highly accurate.

Glad to help you out with some science, Crazy.

Thanks so much for your help...!!......Fortunately, my pdoc has ordered the GC/MS test (the more accurate one),and I have to wait a few days for results.

This whole experience has been extremely irritating, and yes I do think it is all about the money as well..

I guess I'm wondering why docs just don't order the GC/MS test right off the bat, since it's so much more accurate?

Maybe some insurances won't cover the GC/MS test because it's so expensive--just a guess?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

24 minutes ago, gb84 said:

Can't wait till this comes to my state.  America, land of the piss test.  

I could not find a a complete list of states that are now requiring a pee test for people on controls, but there are many that do, right now, including my state....

I think you're right.....Sadly, America will soon become the land of the pee test..**SIGH**

Edited by CrazyRedhead

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I guess I'm wondering why docs just don't order the GC/MS test right off the bat, since it's so much more accurate?

Maybe some insurances won't cover the GC/MS test because it's so expensive--just a guess?

Expensive for a GC/MS and the antibody test is cheap. GC/MS is a big piece of equipment so people have to come to it to be tested whereas the antibody test is just a dip stick so it can be done anywhere.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, notloki said:

Expensive for a GC/MS and the antibody test is cheap. GC/MS is a big piece of equipment so people have to come to it to be tested whereas the antibody test is just a dip stick so it can be done anywhere.

Update:  My test results just came back from the GS/MS test, and the test was POSITIVE for clonazepam..!!

Downside: waiting to see if my insurance is going to cover this expensive test....I called insurance co, and they said it would be covered since the lab I used is a participating provider........But as I know from experience, insurance companies don't always mean what they say.

So, just hoping now I don't get hit with a huge bill from the lab.......If I do, I am going to raise h*ll...!!

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Update:  My test results just came back from the GS/MS test, and the test was POSITIVE for clonazepam..!!

Downside: waiting to see if my insurance is going to cover this expensive test....I called insurance co, and they said it would be covered since the lab I used is a participating provider........But as I know from experience, insurance companies don't always mean what they say.

So, just hoping now I don't get hit with a huge bill from the lab.......If I do, I am going to raise h*ll...!!

I have to sign an agreement that I will not sell or abuse the controlled substance meds I take and I sign this yearly. Never had to do that in the past. I can’t wait for the piss tests. *insert eye roll* I’m sorry you had to go through all that stupid stress. And your insurance damn well better pay for it. Especially since you called them too already. I’m mad for you! Argh!