CrazyBoards.org

6 hours ago, cakepop said:

Zyprexa 10 mg is helping me a good bit with my symptoms. But I heard it’s really notorious for giving people diabetes. I’m already a borderline diabetic!! I’m on Metformin 2000 mg per day.

Will the Metformin counteract that horrible side effect? Does anyone know?

Also I noticed my depression is getting better with my Zyprexa/Clomipramine combo. I also still have Prozac in my system due to its’ long half-life. I think I’m going to start taking the Prozac again. Please give me your knowledge or opinions.

Why restart the Prozac before seeing if the current meds will handle it? Zyprexa does have some antidepressant effect it might be able to help with just the clomipramine 

12 hours ago, cakepop said:

Zyprexa 10 mg is helping me a good bit with my symptoms. But I heard it’s really notorious for giving people diabetes. I’m already a borderline diabetic!! I’m on Metformin 2000 mg per day.

Also I noticed my depression is getting better with my Zyprexa/Clomipramine combo. I also still have Prozac in my system due to its’ long half-life. I think I’m going to start taking the Prozac again. Please give me your knowledge or opinions.

I take 2,000 mg metformin too but I’m on seroquel. But pretty similar scenario. I would imagine I’m prediabetic as well. My fasting glucose is always high but my A1c remains normal. 

Anyway, I don’t know if metformin would protect you or not. I took zyprexa for years and didn’t get diabetes, but I did gain a ton of weight and had to go off of it. Which sucked because it worked so well for me back then. Ymmv though. Maybes you’ll be lucky and dodge some of the side effects. It’s a really helpful med at least IME. 

Also,, I took the zyprexa zydis the pill that melts in your mouth. That supposedly causes less weight gain. You could ask your pdoc about it if you wanted to. I know once I switched to that the weight gain slowed down a bit IME. Ymmv again of course. 

Well good luck! I wish you the best on your medication journey! And I’ve been on them all except Rexulti and vraylar. So I know how long it takes to find a good med. I finally ran out of options and am on the last choice, clozapine.

But if you have any more specific questions about zyprexa let me know. I’d be glad to help you by sharing my experience!

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2018 at 8:27 PM, cakepop said:

Best not to make changes without your pdocs supervision. If you're dissatisfied for whatever reason, then make sure you talk to your pdoc about it. I sometimes have things that are urgent that can't wait for an appt. A good pdoc will either call you back or at least take a message and make a change.

Zyprexa+clomipramine sounds like a good combo to me and it should have plenty of antidepressant effect. Keep in mind that Zyprexa goes up to 20mg. So you're only half-way up the scale. And Zyprexa has antidepressant and anxiolytic effects on doses as low as 2.5mg. So perhaps you may not need that high of a dose in the long-run. Indeed Zyprexa does have diabetegenic effects, but those are usually experienced more on higher doses above 7.5-10mg.

I went off Zyprexa because I was gaining weight but it was also affecting my cholesterol. My glucose would be a tad high (meaning almost over the 99 hump), but at 5mg for several months and I never developed true pre-diabetes from it. I just got fat.

How long have you been taking Zyprexa? And how long for clomipramine? and what dose of clomipramine are you on now?