CrazyBoards.org

This paragraph summarizes why I take NAC and a number of supplements that point back to Glutathione. This is from the paper "N-acetylcysteine for major depressive episodes in bipolar disorder"

"In this respect, N-acetylcysteine (NAC) has shown preclinical and clinical evidence of mitigating oxidative stress and modulating inflammation.12-14 NAC has been demonstrated to replenish brain glutathione levels.15,16Glutathione, in turn, is the brain's major antioxidant, and recent post-mortem and genetic data support its involvement in the pathophysiology of bipolar disorder.17,18 NAC also has demonstrable anti-inflammatory activity as well as direct effects on glutamatergic and dopaminergic neurotransmission.13"

Edited by notloki
  • Thanks 1

Glutathione again, from the paper " The efficacy of N-acetylcysteine as an adjunctive treatment in bipolar depression: An open label trial"

"Evidence is accumulating to support the presence of redox dysregulation in a number of psychiatric disorders, including bipolar disorder. This dysregulation may be amenable to therapeutic intervention. Glutathione is the predominant non-enzymatic intracellular free radical scavenger in the brain, and the most generic of all endogenous antioxidants in terms of action. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a glutathione precursor that effectively replenishes brain glutathione."

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, notloki said:

Glutathione again, from the paper " The efficacy of N-acetylcysteine as an adjunctive treatment in bipolar depression: An open label trial"

"Evidence is accumulating to support the presence of redox dysregulation in a number of psychiatric disorders, including bipolar disorder. This dysregulation may be amenable to therapeutic intervention. Glutathione is the predominant non-enzymatic intracellular free radical scavenger in the brain, and the most generic of all endogenous antioxidants in terms of action. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a glutathione precursor that effectively replenishes brain glutathione."

Thanks NL. When you started taking it, did you notice any tangible differences in mood on it? Or do you take it purely for the theoretical benefits per the papers?

Well there is the long term, years long, remission of my depression. 

I don't expect to "feel' any different. Our meds tend to work at the CNS level while glutathione works at the cellular level, the root level, repairing damage. I would expect meds that work via the CNS being chocked full of different "feelings" I don't know what if anything would be felt if you take NAC. Let's say it prolongs life on average 5 years by doing all this cellular upkeep and repair. How would that feel or would things that we associate with the present psycomeds happen while on NAC ?

Edited by notloki
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your experience. Full remission would be quite nice.

I am expecting something, almost like lamotrigine (which I have admittedly never taken, but by all accounts is quite noticeable when it does work), per what i saw here..I haven't started NAC yet, but hey, TBD and all.

If nothing else, it's definitely cheap enough to take long term like you are doing.

http://psycheducation.org/treatment/mood-stabilizers/n-acetyl-cysteine-nac/

Cysteine has anti-oxidant effects. That was the first reason it was studied. It also affects a neurotransmitter called glutamate (as does lamotrigine).

Mechanism 2. Another amino acid, glutamate, acts as a neurotransmitter (serotonin is another neurotransmitter you are probably more familiar with). Too much glutamate activity is not good, and that may be part of the problem in mood and anxiety disorders. Well, it turns out that cysteine can lower the amount of glutamate stimulation getting through to some neurons. It does so through a close relationship with glutamate, in in which it affects the balance between the two amino acids in brain neurons (I know, that was really vague. But this “co-transport” story is even more complicated, and I cannot really explain it well, yet). Changing cysteine levels can change this cysteine/glutamate balance — to the good, it appears, for people with mood and anxiety problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I took it for a few years. I didn't notice anything. It may have worked great or it may have done nothing. At least I didn't have any negative effects.

I have co-morbid OCD and it's supposed to help with that too. If it did it was subtle.

I was over on crazymeds then, and used the brand that Jared said was the only good one. But my brain is fried, so I don't remember it. It was from an exercise supplement company.

Fun fact: it's also used for acetaminophen overdose. 

• Like 1

That is a fun fact.

About 2 weeks in so far. 2000 mg BID. The sleepiness that followed it wore off mostly. It's still mildly calming. I don't have OCD proper, but it's taken the edge off obsessive thinking. I don't get lost in obsessive rumination as easily. This seems to be something that's kicked in in the last day or so. Didn't initially do anything in that respect. Just the edge, I doubt it would be useful for true OCD.

Yeah, I would say it had a mild effect on the obsession. Didn't cure me, of course.

I searched my email. The "good stuff" is supposed to be from NutraBio.com. I just know that's what crazymeds people I talked to liked.  Can't search crazymeds anymore to see why it's supposed to be better, so take that info however you'd like.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, elby said:

Yeah, I would say it had a mild effect on the obsession. Didn't cure me, of course.

I searched my email. The "good stuff" is supposed to be from NutraBio.com. I just know that's what crazymeds people I talked to liked.  Can't search crazymeds anymore to see why it's supposed to be better, so take that info however you'd like.

Thanks much. Right now i'm taking the NOW brand. If it continues to be decent, I'll look into the nutrabio stuff.

Do you remember your dosing?

I believe was taking 1200mg once a day. But, I'm a lightweight. I'm petite, and I tend to take low doses on all meds. I can get a .6 blood level of lithium on just 600mg a day.

I got off NAC a few years ago after an inpatient stay where they didn't give it to me and mixed up my meds. Didn't get back on, although, I just ordered a bottle. The NutraBio is cheaper on Amazon than on their website.

• Thanks 1