CrazyBoards.org

Mushrooms and bipolar disorder

I did shrooms in my teens before I was diagnosed bipolar at 24 after a long state hospital stay.

My point being that I have great memories of those early trips. 

However, 6 months after that horrid first psychosis I went slightly manic and went to Amsterdam where it was legal back then (not anymore).

I took the recommended dose and completely lost control over the situation 2 hours later. The walls were coming in on me. The TV spoke directly to me in a threatening way, it was induced schizophrenia.

I was shaking and had anxiety from another galaxy and thought i would never come down.

This was many years ago now.

After that bad trip I didn't do any psychedelic apart from weed which I still enjoy for 15 years. I was scared straight.

Lately though I have tripped on acid a few times alone with music, candles, phone turned off and other safety precautions. I live in a city where the whole psychedelic culture started so it's accepted and easy to find here. Weed is legal.

I don't have any advice but to don't do it too close to mania since you can open that door while tripping and get stuck in that room. I would be as stable as possible if doing it after diagnosis if at all.

Be sure to be on meds at the time and in a good mind space. Mushrooms can definitely make the situation worse and unbearable. You wanna be super careful. 

Before you do anything, talk with your pdoc about it. We are not doctors here so we don't know about drug-drug interactions and possibility of triggering psychosis/mania. I did shrooms before I had my first bipolar episode and it was a positive experience but I don't know what would happen to me now. Medical researchers are finally doing tests on how shrooms and LSD can treat PTSD, depression, anxiety and coming to terms with death. As far as I know, no tests have been done on bipolar and schizophrenic patients. If you want to know more, I recommend reading this book, https://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Mind-Consciousness-Transcendence/dp/1594204225/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1545701400&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+pollan

• Like 1

There are several genera of mushrooms that contain the active psychoactive substances psilocybin or psilocin. Although some recent research has been conducted regarding the potential for use of these substances in treating compulsive disorders and other intractable mental illnesses, at this time hallucinogenic mushrooms and their derivatives remain Schedule I substances pursuant to United Nations protocols, and at present there are no medical indications for psilocybin or psilocin.

If you wish to discuss recent or ongoing studies relevant to this - with citations - we will entertain a thread on that.

This thread, however, must be closed.

Cerberus

• Like 1

Taking medications that have been through clinical trials, have observed histories of patient usage, and known reactions, is hard enough. Taking the random contents of some guy’s garden is- frankly, it’s moronic to take a chance like that. 

Getting sane and staying sane is the hardest thing most of us, here, will ever do. Why the hell would you risk that?