CrazyBoards.org

Weird benzo reaction

So in the recent past I've been having an odd experience with benzos- halcion and Xanax- where they take foreverrrrrr to kick in but then come on really strong hours later. For example, I took halcion for sleep...and then another one 45 min later...and it did nothing for three hours but I was then totally stoned five hours after I took it when I woke up. This isn't just me feeling a bit loopy, family members have confirmed The delayed reaction. Xanax is the same way lately...on a flight I took it <45 min before take up but it didn't kick in until after landing several hours later. I've never really heard of this...

it basically renders them useless for sleep as I can't risk taking them three hours early and having it kick in way too soon while driving or whatever. Only thing I can think of is maybe the Pepcid I'm taking is messing with acid effecting absorption?...

any thoughts/suggestions? 

Don’t know if this would help, and I realize benzos don’t exactly taste like tictacs, but when I need my Ativan to kick in quickly, I chew it and allow that to dissolve under my tongue. It should reach the bloodstream faster. 

I too would be suspicious of the Pepcid. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

Don’t know if this would help, and I realize benzos don’t exactly taste like tictacs, but when I need my Ativan to kick in quickly, I chew it and allow that to dissolve under my tongue. It should reach the bloodstream faster. 

I too would be suspicious of the Pepcid. 

Yeah my doc and I have talked about under the tongue but haven't done it yet cuz I'm afraid it still won't work and I'll sleep through another day....and yeah the thing with the Pepcid tho is my pdoc actually told me to switch to it, which seems to indicate that he's had other patients use it with no issues...and he's been around quite a while so I'm sure that translates to a lot of experience with these issues 

Hmm. Does anyone use the ODT Xanax? If I'm gonna do under the tongue that might be better...?

Although I kno my pdoc has used it, we talked about it once and he wasn't super excited about Rx-ing it to me. Not totally sure why as he had no concerns about me with controlled meds 

1 minute ago, argh said:

Could you try a PPI?

Maybe...but that would require visiting a GI- which becomes pretty messy since I go to school 2hr from home. Also, some PPIs (but maybe not all) interact with clozaril. But yes I might be able to go that direction but it would be a while 

5 hours ago, Iceberg said:

So in the recent past I've been having an odd experience with benzos- halcion and Xanax- where they take foreverrrrrr to kick in but then come on really strong hours later. For example, I took halcion for sleep...and then another one 45 min later...and it did nothing for three hours but I was then totally stoned five hours after I took it when I woke up. This isn't just me feeling a bit loopy, family members have confirmed The delayed reaction. Xanax is the same way lately...on a flight I took it <45 min before take up but it didn't kick in until after landing several hours later. I've never really heard of this...

it basically renders them useless for sleep as I can't risk taking them three hours early and having it kick in way too soon while driving or whatever. Only thing I can think of is maybe the Pepcid I'm taking is messing with acid effecting absorption?...

The only thing I can think of is that Halcion and Xanax (and ProSom additionally) are all triazolobenzodiazepines (they are chemically related to one another by having an additional fused triazole ring).

If you need another short- to intermediate-acting benzodiazepine, you could try Ativan, Serax, or Restoril, which are 3-hydroxy-benzodiazepines, which may differ chemically to Halcion and Xanax and may have different pharmacodynamics in your system.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I think it’s the acid drug causing absorption problems imo.

I too have crazy acid reflux (I have LPR aka silent reflux and gerd)

I’ve been taking nexium for the last few years and it was causing all sorts of drug and vitamin/mineral problems. I quit my nexium 5 days ago due to an issue with extreme tight muscles I think was caused by magnesium deficiency.

i was freaking out about stopping the nexium because I like you need it to survive unless I want to eat like some sort of bird. I’m glad I did tho as i feel so much better. Acid blockers of any kind aren’t great for you. 

Maybe stop for a week and see if your med issues resolve. It could be the answer to your problem

15 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

The only thing I can think of is that Halcion and Xanax (and ProSom additionally) are all triazolobenzodiazepines (they are chemically related to one another by having an additional fused triazole ring).

If you need another short- to intermediate-acting benzodiazepine, you could try Ativan, Serax, or Restoril, which are 3-hydroxy-benzodiazepines, which may differ chemically to Halcion and Xanax and may have different pharmacodynamics in your system.

-mikl- Hmm thanks for the thought...I *guess* that could make sense...but it's weird cuz the halcion definetly used to work better....and Xanax I used to be able to take q HS and still wake up. Ativan wasn't great...sedating but In a way that kind of made me more irritable...and restoril was quite useless right now the only other thing I have is Thorazine which has its own issues. Tried almost all the other common sleep/anxiety stuff 

chrisalt- yeah that's what I'm afraid of cuz when I do stop I start throwing up

Edited by Iceberg

14 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Definitely agree here. Alprazolam and triazolam both have a time-to-peak of 2 hours max. So believe it or not, that 45 minutes may not have been enough time for them to start working. However, Pepcid COULD be part of your problem, which is why chewing the tablet and dissolving some of it under your tongue will help it kick in faster even if most of the absorption will still happen in the stomach.

17 hours ago, argh said:

Could you try a PPI?

Actually a PPI would probably make it worse. When it comes to medications that rely on normal acid production in the gut to properly digest and absorb, proton pump inhibitors interact the most. Whereas anti-histamines like famotidine, cimetidine, etc. all having a slightly less problematic effect, but they still can be a problem when taken together with other medications.

My partner and I also have absolutely terrible acid reflux. Partially due to our poor eating habits. For my partner in particular, he takes antiretrovirals for HIV and as you can imagine, absorption of those is imperative. So he always takes them in the morning and he only takes them with Vyvanse. If he is having acid reflux he always waits until noon to take famotidine. In reality, you should give at least 2 hours if not 4 between taking famotidine and taking other medications. With PPIs you may have to actually make dosage adjustments of other meds because it isn't "instant" like anti-histamines. It's chronically low acid production.

What I do is actually get a prescription for famotidine from my doctor, because then you can get it in 40mg tablets and of course since it's by prescription and generic it can be much cheaper than buying as many 20mg tablets OTC. You can take up to 40mg per day and it does last pretty much all day for me. The instructions for famotidine if you're being prescribed it for peptic ulcers is to take it 20mg twice a day or take 40mg all at night.

So perhaps what you could do instead is take your Xanax or Halcion with your other evening meds when you're thinking about going to bed in an hour or two and then take famotidine right before getting into bed.

4 hours ago, browri said:

Definitely agree here. Alprazolam and triazolam both have a time-to-peak of 2 hours max. So believe it or not, that 45 minutes may not have been enough time for them to start working. However, Pepcid COULD be part of your problem, which is why chewing the tablet and dissolving some of it under your tongue will help it kick in faster even if most of the absorption will still happen in the stomach.

Actually a PPI would probably make it worse. When it comes to medications that rely on normal acid production in the gut to properly digest and absorb, proton pump inhibitors interact the most. Whereas anti-histamines like famotidine, cimetidine, etc. all having a slightly less problematic effect, but they still can be a problem when taken together with other medications.

My partner and I also have absolutely terrible acid reflux. Partially due to our poor eating habits. For my partner in particular, he takes antiretrovirals for HIV and as you can imagine, absorption of those is imperative. So he always takes them in the morning and he only takes them with Vyvanse. If he is having acid reflux he always waits until noon to take famotidine. In reality, you should give at least 2 hours if not 4 between taking famotidine and taking other medications. With PPIs you may have to actually make dosage adjustments of other meds because it isn't "instant" like anti-histamines. It's chronically low acid production.

What I do is actually get a prescription for famotidine from my doctor, because then you can get it in 40mg tablets and of course since it's by prescription and generic it can be much cheaper than buying as many 20mg tablets OTC. You can take up to 40mg per day and it does last pretty much all day for me. The instructions for famotidine if you're being prescribed it for peptic ulcers is to take it 20mg twice a day or take 40mg all at night.

So perhaps what you could do instead is take your Xanax or Halcion with your other evening meds when you're thinking about going to bed in an hour or two and then take famotidine right before getting into bed.

Yeah that was the idea but there was still the same issue...several times while traveling (not good with long trips) id take Xanax 45 min to 1hr before trip w/o anything else and would often end up awake for the trip but stoned when we arrived several hours later 

I find that different manufacturers of benzo's totally matters!  I took brand name Xanax and it was super weak compared to generic. Figure that. Perhaps the brand name is not used as often so it was sitting on a hot shelf-- who knows. Just my two cents.

OH and when my klonopin doesn't work because i'm super anxious, I wait a few hours and take a Xanax. That usually helps. I don't do it often, but my doctor said it was okay to do it occasionally.