Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Asking to get put on Zoloft?


Recommended Posts

Well, these last few weeks have been absolute hell for me. I'm not sure what happened, but ever since messing with my dosage (under a doctor's supervision) then going back up to 10mg of Abilify, I've discovered that I feel worse than ever... but, at the same time, I was given 25mg of an antihistamine (Hydroxyzine) to help me sleep at night. I suspect that's what's been keeping me asleep until noon on a good day. Maybe it's also been worsening my depression, but I can't be sure. Hmm...

But, aside from that, I have been struggling with my depression for a few years now and have been ignoring the problem. But now, things have been so bad that I've finally decided to speak up about it with my psychiatrist. I told her about my struggling with depression despite being on the Abilify for all of this time, but that hasn't done much since she just told me to see if being on 10mg of the Abilify would help me feel better again... even though I've been on that same dosage for years now and have still been struggling.

I feel like I'm about at my wit's end. I'm about ready to schedule another meeting with my psychiatrist, but she's on vacation and there's no back up psychiatrist that I can see. So, I guess I'll just need to suck it up and just wait to see her again in January. It sucks, but it's something I'll have to do. And the next time that I see her, I was thinking about asking her to put me on Zoloft to go along with the Abilify, since right now I'm just taking the Abilify alone.

Is that weird? To go in already having an idea of what medication you'd like to be placed on? I mean, I think it might be alright, especially since whenever she suggests medications to give me, they are either not covered by my insurance or they are medications that she's prescribed to me before that have not worked.

I hope I'm not whining too much about this medication situation, seeing as this is my third post on the subject. I'm just struggling so much and feel so tired of this (both mentally and physically). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Antidepressants are not completely contraindicated for those with BP, so long as there's a mood stabilizer in place.

Have you been on a zoloft + abilify combo before? Or some form of AD + AAP / mood stabilizer?

FWIW, hydroxyzine made things worse for me. Doc thinks i might have a sensitivity to anti-histamines, which is why Remeron was also terrible for me. Or maybe bipolar. Something to that effect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24673474

CONCLUSION:

Both antihistamines, significantly increased daytime sleepiness and nocturnal sleep quality. Daytime sleepiness was significantly predicted by rupadatine and pheniramine treatment. Cetirizine and hydroxyzine, seem to have negative influences on mood states. Given the extensive use of antihistamines in clinical settings, these results should be more elaborately examined in further studies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Bimbo Bear said:

Well, these last few weeks have been absolute hell for me. I'm not sure what happened, but ever since messing with my dosage (under a doctor's supervision) then going back up to 10mg of Abilify, I've discovered that I feel worse than ever... but, at the same time, I was given 25mg of an antihistamine (Hydroxyzine) to help me sleep at night. I suspect that's what's been keeping me asleep until noon on a good day. Maybe it's also been worsening my depression, but I can't be sure. Hmm...

But, aside from that, I have been struggling with my depression for a few years now and have been ignoring the problem. But now, things have been so bad that I've finally decided to speak up about it with my psychiatrist. I told her about my struggling with depression despite being on the Abilify for all of this time, but that hasn't done much since she just told me to see if being on 10mg of the Abilify would help me feel better again... even though I've been on that same dosage for years now and have still been struggling.

I feel like I'm about at my wit's end. I'm about ready to schedule another meeting with my psychiatrist, but she's on vacation and there's no back up psychiatrist that I can see. So, I guess I'll just need to suck it up and just wait to see her again in January. It sucks, but it's something I'll have to do. And the next time that I see her, I was thinking about asking her to put me on Zoloft to go along with the Abilify, since right now I'm just taking the Abilify alone.

Is that weird? To go in already having an idea of what medication you'd like to be placed on? I mean, I think it might be alright, especially since whenever she suggests medications to give me, they are either not covered by my insurance or they are medications that she's prescribed to me before that have not worked.

I hope I'm not whining too much about this medication situation, seeing as this is my third post on the subject. I'm just struggling so much and feel so tired of this (both mentally and physically). 

Why Zoloft over other SSRI/ADs ? 

Edited by Iceberg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bimbo Bear said:

I feel like I'm about at my wit's end. I'm about ready to schedule another meeting with my psychiatrist, but she's on vacation and there's no back up psychiatrist that I can see. So, I guess I'll just need to suck it up and just wait to see her again in January. It sucks, but it's something I'll have to do. And the next time that I see her, I was thinking about asking her to put me on Zoloft to go along with the Abilify, since right now I'm just taking the Abilify alone.

Is that weird? To go in already having an idea of what medication you'd like to be placed on? I mean, I think it might be alright, especially since whenever she suggests medications to give me, they are either not covered by my insurance or they are medications that she's prescribed to me before that have not worked.

I hope I'm not whining too much about this medication situation, seeing as this is my third post on the subject. I'm just struggling so much and feel so tired of this (both mentally and physically). 

Not at all. Certain pdocs are different from each other. But some appreciate when patients like to take charge of their treatment. Not necessarily taking control because THEY are still the doctor, but when you start to get engaged and coming up with ideas, it may make your pdoc more interested.

6 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Why Zoloft over other SSRI/ADs ? 

+1 Why Zoloft specifically? There's certainly nothing wrong with it, but what pdocs like to see when you've made a suggestion is that you've done your research and made an attempt to understand. There are lots of really good things about Zoloft and it works well for a lot of people. I've taken it collectively for about 3 years (although not taking it now). It can be stimulating and can really nip depression in the bud. It should mix well with Abilify too to stabilize dopamine. 10mg of Abilify is a solid dose for bipolar disorder so you should have good enough mood control to safely start an AD.

I think what everyone on here would like to know is what symptoms do you personally classify as part of your depression? Certain antidepressants are better for certain symptoms than others. For example, Zoloft can be exceptionally good for catatonic and melancholic depression, which not everyone experiences. Some people experience a more anxious depression, which would make me steer you more towards Lexapro or Paxil instead although Lexapro would be the more tolerable choice of the two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, argh said:

Antidepressants are not completely contraindicated for those with BP, so long as there's a mood stabilizer in place.

Have you been on a zoloft + abilify combo before? Or some form of AD + AAP / mood stabilizer?

FWIW, hydroxyzine made things worse for me. Doc thinks i might have a sensitivity to anti-histamines, which is why Remeron was also terrible for me. Or maybe bipolar. Something to that effect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24673474

CONCLUSION:

Both antihistamines, significantly increased daytime sleepiness and nocturnal sleep quality. Daytime sleepiness was significantly predicted by rupadatine and pheniramine treatment. Cetirizine and hydroxyzine, seem to have negative influences on mood states. Given the extensive use of antihistamines in clinical settings, these results should be more elaborately examined in further studies.

Nope, I've never been on an Zoloft and Abilify combo before, but I have been on Lexapro and an AAP before (I think it was Latuda or Abilify). The Lexapro just made me sleepy and did nothing for my mood, so yeah...

As for the antihistamine problem, I didn't take my hydroxyzine last night and I feel SO much better today! So you'd best believe that I'm not taking that anymore. I've taken Cetrizine as well (for allergies) and I realized that it made my mood terrible as well. So I may want to steer clear of sleepy allergy medication from now on.

16 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Why Zoloft over other SSRI/ADs ? 

I've read a ton of really good reviews about it, plus it treats a lot more than anxiety and depression, which is good for me as I also have OCD and PTSD symptoms that could be treated by it.

9 hours ago, browri said:

I think what everyone on here would like to know is what symptoms do you personally classify as part of your depression? Certain antidepressants are better for certain symptoms than others. For example, Zoloft can be exceptionally good for catatonic and melancholic depression, which not everyone experiences. Some people experience a more anxious depression, which would make me steer you more towards Lexapro or Paxil instead although Lexapro would be the more tolerable choice of the two.

Well, the biggest symptoms of my depression are the inability to get out of bed or do anything meaningful or enjoyable with my time. I do have anxiety also, but that is managed very well with my Abilify it seems, so yeah. And I would try Lexapro again, but it only causes me to feel sleepy and yawn all of the time. It's unpleasant and I've already tried it twice, so that's why I'm looking to try Zoloft next.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Iceberg said:

Have u tried many other SSRIs or just lexapro? If just lexapro Zoloft is probably as reasonable as anything else, If not u might need to look at a different class of AD

I've only ever tried Lexapro. But yeah, I'll keep that in mind as I continue trying to find the right medications for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dx is different but I had similar depressive symptoms. Zoloft was the first med I have ever taken for my condition.

It was a good one for me. It has an effect on dopamine that is like a mild stimulant (a lot less than Ritalin, but it is there).

Prozac was the second one and I think than in terms of energy it was better overall. This one too has a positive (indirect) effect on dopamine and noradrenaline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bimbo Bear said:

Well, the biggest symptoms of my depression are the inability to get out of bed or do anything meaningful or enjoyable with my time. I do have anxiety also, but that is managed very well with my Abilify it seems, so yeah. And I would try Lexapro again, but it only causes me to feel sleepy and yawn all of the time. It's unpleasant and I've already tried it twice, so that's why I'm looking to try Zoloft next.

Then yeah Zoloft would make more sense. Morning blues. Prominent anhedonia. Zoloft could very well help. The other option would be Wellbutrin if you need a good "kick" in the mornings. Although that could make anxiety worse so just something to keep in mind. However, I know there are plenty of people on here who swear by a Wellbutrin/Abilify combo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...