CrazyBoards.org

I've been on many medications trying to find the right ones and have lots of boxes of unused medications. I know these would be very useful for many people, especially the extremely expensive ones. I suppose it's unethical to give them to someone else? Obviously I would only do it if they were on that drug anyway and had a prescription. These drugs cost me a fortune and just giving them to a pharmacy so they can destroy them is like burning money. What are your thoughts? I have no way of connecting with people who would need the drugs however so it's not like I know of people in my life who want my Zyban and other medications. I'm in Australia. 

Yes I gathered it would be controversial to do it, but at the same time it's very frustrating spending thousands of dollars on medications that don't end up being the appropriate ones for you. I could have done with some help myself and would have welcomed someone else helping me out by giving me their medications that I already have a prescription for. I will most likely ending up getting the medications destroyed but this issue has been playing on my mind for a long time because of the financial hardship involved in getting these drugs in the first place and it's upsetting also that some medications are so costly that if you needed to increase the dosage you just wouldn't bother as you couldn't afford it without robbing a bank. 

• Like 1

I’m interested to know this also. My family recently put down our dog who was on expensive heart medication. We were able to give the remaining meds to the vet pharmacy who would give them (couldn’t sell them) to those who couldn’t afford them. It would be nice if such a thing were available for our meds. I’ve sometimes had sealed bottles that I couldn’t use.

Don't flush them down the toilet, our waterways already have high enough levels of Prozac, estrogen, and other pharmaceuticals. You might call around to a local hospice. We asked the hospice dad used and they took his meds, he was on a lot of meds, and said they would redistribute them among those in need after their pharmacist recertified the meds.   

Thanks for your valuable input, everyone. I asked because I have spent thousands on medications, trying to find the right ones, only to find that when I did find the right ones, the dosage was too low and to increase it would put me in debt. I simply couldn't afford to be on the medications that could potentially change my life for the better. It's a ridiculous situation. Especially in Australia where certain medications are not covered by PBS and you have to pay a fortune for them. Yet overseas, they are easily and cheaply available and are a standard mental health drug. I have tried so many because I have treatment resistant depression/anxiety and also am sensitive to side effects. Most drugs are not suitable for me.  I am now medication free (for the moment) as I have reached the end of the road in searching for the right combination and like I said, there are others I tried that may have been good, but doubling the dosage was something I couldn't afford. 

• Sad 1