CrazyBoards.org

I've been on many medications trying to find the right ones and have lots of boxes of unused medications. I know these would be very useful for many people, especially the extremely expensive ones. I suppose it's unethical to give them to someone else? Obviously I would only do it if they were on that drug anyway and had a prescription. These drugs cost me a fortune and just giving them to a pharmacy so they can destroy them is like burning money. What are your thoughts? I have no way of connecting with people who would need the drugs however so it's not like I know of people in my life who want my Zyban and other medications. I'm in Australia. 

You gotta be really careful with that...I'm in the US so obvi it's different but here you get in serious trouble for handing out quantities of Rx meds

• Like 1

Yes I gathered it would be controversial to do it, but at the same time it's very frustrating spending thousands of dollars on medications that don't end up being the appropriate ones for you. I could have done with some help myself and would have welcomed someone else helping me out by giving me their medications that I already have a prescription for. I will most likely ending up getting the medications destroyed but this issue has been playing on my mind for a long time because of the financial hardship involved in getting these drugs in the first place and it's upsetting also that some medications are so costly that if you needed to increase the dosage you just wouldn't bother as you couldn't afford it without robbing a bank. 

• Like 1

I’m interested to know this also. My family recently put down our dog who was on expensive heart medication. We were able to give the remaining meds to the vet pharmacy who would give them (couldn’t sell them) to those who couldn’t afford them. It would be nice if such a thing were available for our meds. I’ve sometimes had sealed bottles that I couldn’t use.

Don't flush them down the toilet, our waterways already have high enough levels of Prozac, estrogen, and other pharmaceuticals. You might call around to a local hospice. We asked the hospice dad used and they took his meds, he was on a lot of meds, and said they would redistribute them among those in need after their pharmacist recertified the meds.   

My pdoc will take my unused meds if they are in bottles with seals or in unopened blisterpacks, not past expiration date, and then she will give them to other needy patients. I've done this a couple times with her in the past.

That would be a felony in the US.  If any are controlled substances you could be looking at years in prison.  I wouldn't risk it.  There are programs to help the poor and uninsured who can't afford medications get them.  

• Like 1

I know in the UK medications that have left the pharmacy can't be given to anyone else, only returned to be destroyed. Such a massive waste of NHS money. 

Thanks for your valuable input, everyone. I asked because I have spent thousands on medications, trying to find the right ones, only to find that when I did find the right ones, the dosage was too low and to increase it would put me in debt. I simply couldn't afford to be on the medications that could potentially change my life for the better. It's a ridiculous situation. Especially in Australia where certain medications are not covered by PBS and you have to pay a fortune for them. Yet overseas, they are easily and cheaply available and are a standard mental health drug. I have tried so many because I have treatment resistant depression/anxiety and also am sensitive to side effects. Most drugs are not suitable for me.  I am now medication free (for the moment) as I have reached the end of the road in searching for the right combination and like I said, there are others I tried that may have been good, but doubling the dosage was something I couldn't afford. 

• Sad 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.

• By Drjekyll
      I am diagnosed bipolar 2, OCD, GAD, and at one point ADHD although the psychs can’t decide if it’s true or not.

my cocktail:
      wellbutrin xl 450 mg in morning
      lamictal 200mg at night
      lexapro 10mg morning for the GAD and OCD my OCD is the obsessive thoughts type.

My issue being mainly that I lack motivation and am tired all the time as well very hungry and have gained weight but can’t find the hunger control to diet and can’t find the motivation to exercise.
      yes it’s terrible and could be affecting all of this but for years it’s the only way I can function half a pot or a whole pot of coffee in the morning and  occasionally a monster or two in the afternoon I practically live on caffeine.
      i sleep ok usually about 7-8 hours a night.
      luckily I have a job currently although I’m a serial job hopper.
      somehow I have a wife and daughter who put up with me. I’m on my 20’s
      im 6 foot tall and was originally 225 when I was exercising but after wife’s pregnancy and post partum and life of course I’m now 289.
      just trying to see if anyone has experienced similar cocktails because although I’ve been under treatment off and on since 15 I have honestly not tried many meds more so favoring trying different doses of the same med because I have enough of a hard time holding a job without the med game happening.
      i have tried seroquel which is a never again
      strattera which messed with blood pressure. Gabapentin which is absolutely not. Adderall which was obviously awesome but is likely bad for the bipolar. Abilify which made me feel mentally handicapped. Buspar which made me practically forget my own name. 

Just found this place and basically looking for any experiences, thoughts etc.

• By sming
      Respectful greetings, fellow crazies.
      I've recently ramped-up on Wellbutrin: 150mg for 6 days and then 300mg for 12 days (18 days total). Overall it's slightly helping the multitude of mental illnesses I have (TRD, "Pure" OCD, other stuff).
      However. About 7 days after hitting 300mg Wellbutrin I started experiencing incredibly intense anxiety primarily (physically shaking, gut-churning, mind-racing, skin-crawling kind). I also started feeling erratic, intense irritability and even anger - (verbally) lashing out at my kids and other unpleasant out-of-character behaviour.
      I've seen anxiety from Wellbutrin reported 100's of times before but I couldn't find information on how to combat it. This is because normally people just stop taking it (which makes eminent sense) but that's not an option for me since I'm 23 years TRD (including resistance to ECT, dTMS and Ketamine) and this is one of the last combos left. In other words I'm beyond desperate to give it every chance of working that I humanly can.
      I'm now gonna blurt out my questions and suggestions and hope that some of you can identify or comment from your own experience:
      I have some Valium left over and taking that does take the edge off of the severe emotions. However taking benzo's long-term is generally undesirable, hence has anyone taken a non-benzo adjunct/augmenting med that actually helps tone down the insane anxiety? If so, what was it? how long did the intense anxiety last for those who experienced it? 2 weeks? a month? until you stopped the med? did anyone have success in simply reducing dose back to 150mg or even lower? Did you find 150mg sufficient to lift your mood? I'm on 300mg XL as of today (was on 2x150mg XL 'til now). Have folks had different experiences (anxiety-wise) with the IR or SR versions? E.g. would switching to 3xIR be an avenue worth chasing? any other relevant insights or experiences would also be most welcome. May the Gods of mental health be with you,
      Pete

• By l'appel du vide
      Hi everyone. I'm here today seeking your advice. I have recently had Wellbutrin XL 150mg added to my cocktail of 5 years, Prozac, Klonopin, and Trazodone. It is being used to augment the Prozac and to address symptoms of lack of motivation, concentration, focus, drive, and apathy. I have only been formally treated for Depression, GAD, and Panic disorder, with there being discussion about potential ADHD. This is important.
      The Wellbutrin has been treating me wonderfully. It was a slightly rough start up, but I no longer feel "speedy", and dear god I might even feel..NORMAL? I have my motivation back. I have my energy back. My focus is back. I'm feeling creative again, I have new ideas, new projects I'm working on, actually PURSUING those new projects....this is so different from what I am used to. The apathy for the most part is also gone. That being said, I did some research on Wellbutrin and ADHD because these things I'm feeling, are different from when medications have worked for my depression. Before the Wellbutrin I was NOT depressed. So I thought, what if the Wellbutrin is helping with the ADHD my psych had brought up awhile ago? Upon further research, I have found that people actually DO take Wellbutrin for ADHD.
      The first thing I ask, which obviously can ultimately only be answered by my psych, is that if what I was feeling was not a partial response to my SSRI, but more so untreated ADHD symptoms? Did the symptoms I list in the first paragraph resonate with any of you? Second...if for some reason I eventually do end up on an ADHD stimulant medication, I am worried about two things. The first thing being that ADHD medications have potential for abuse, and I have a past of drug abuse. I used opioids though, and never really cared for stimulants. Do things like Adderall or Ritalin cause any cravings or reinforcing behaviors in you guys? Or for the most part, have they only helped you? Second, I am scared about being seen as a drug abuser by my pharmacy since I would be prescribed a stimulant AND a benzo. I had a bad experience with another pharmacy regarding my Klonopin prescription, and since then I have just been kind of ashamed by some of the things I present to my current pharmacy, even though it is all in my head and the pharmacy staff is full of lovely non-judgmental people. So, is it out of the ordinary to be prescribed something like Adderall with Klonopin?
      I apologize for the walls of text. Please let me know what you think, because this has been very eye opening for me, and I do not get to see my psych for another 2 months. Obviously for now I am just going to be grateful for the Wellbutrin, and will not be seeking out anything new, this is all for what is possible for me in the future. Thank you so much for helping me.