CrazyBoards.org

Okay so I may be in the market for a medication change right about now. Abilify has been working great for me, but I dislike how it has been affecting communication with my alters. Not only that, but I haven't engaged in any hobbies since I've been on Abilify. Thus, I'm thinking about asking my psychiatrist for a mood stabilizer along with an antidepressant.

If I'm to go on any mood stabilizer, I think I might want it to be Lithium since it seems to be the least bad when it comes to side effects. But it might not be enough to have Lithium alone since I also struggle with severe depression. I looked it up on a drug interactions checker and it looks like Lithium and antidepressants have major interactions? It's kind of scary, but I just wanted to be sure. Has anyone else taken Lithium with antidepressants (like Zoloft)? If so, were you okay on it, and did it help you at all?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

57 minutes ago, Bimbo Bear said:

Okay so I may be in the market for a medication change right about now. Abilify has been working great for me, but I dislike how it has been affecting communication with my alters. Not only that, but I haven't engaged in any hobbies since I've been on Abilify. Thus, I'm thinking about asking my psychiatrist for a mood stabilizer along with an antidepressant.

If I'm to go on any mood stabilizer, I think I might want it to be Lithium since it seems to be the least bad when it comes to side effects. But it might not be enough to have Lithium alone since I also struggle with severe depression. I looked it up on a drug interactions checker and it looks like Lithium and antidepressants have major interactions? It's kind of scary, but I just wanted to be sure. Has anyone else taken Lithium with antidepressants (like Zoloft)? If so, were you okay on it, and did it help you at all?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Took High dose lithium+ Zoloft...no issues 

Typically interaction checkers will alert for the combo of lithium+ADs because of the possibility of precipitating serotonin syndrome. It's POSSIBLE but not as common as serotonin syndrome from mixing serotonin reuptake inhibitors with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (think mixing Zoloft, Paxil, or Celexa with Nardil, Parnate, or Marplan). You could even get serotonin syndrome theoretically from mixing Vyvanse or Adderall with high dose SSRI. So don't read too much into the interaction checker at this stage. Lithium+antidepressant is something pdocs have been doing for a long time.