CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
gb84

Calming and/or sedating antidepressants?

I need something to calm me the hell down.  Anxiety is through the roof and so is my anger and impulse control.  I'm having severe depression since I came off of trintellix, plus it's winter time. 

So maybe I need a different AP that is sedating?  But are there any antidepressants that will help calm me down?  

I tried Remeron years ago, it knocked me out in about 10 minutes, but gave me migraines when I woke up.  

Thanks... 

(have also tried Prozac, zoloft, Cymbalta, effexor, pristiq, viibryd, Lexapro, Celexa, trintellix, probably a few more I can't recall)... 

Edited by gb84
add info

39 minutes ago, Velvet Elvis said:

Remeron.  Seriously.  

Do the headaches go away after a while?  (Not saying that I will have them this time.)  It was probably the 2nd AD I took and I only made it a few days.

1 hour ago, cakepop said:

Lexapro

52 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Totally agree.....I second trying Lexapro.....

I have tried this unfortunately it didn't work for me. 

Also remember that whichever of these medications you decide to try, you can begin with smaller than usual starting doses, and work your way up. I’ve found that that’s a good way to prevent or ameliorate a lot of side effects. Invest in a good pill cutter.

59 minutes ago, gb84 said:

Do the headaches go away after a while?  (Not saying that I will have them this time.)  It was probably the 2nd AD I took and I only made it a few days.

I have tried this unfortunately it didn't work for me. 

I say try to be patient and wait for Cymbalta to kick in. It’s also supposed to help anxiety but you must wait a bit. 

Mirtazapine is infamous for knocking you out! Trade name: Remeron. It's an NaSSA antidepressant, pretty bespoke.

how far did you get on effexor? 225 mg totally killed my anxiety. i take it split morning and evening and actually find it too sedating if i take more than 112.5 mg in the morning.

i don't know how up to date your signature is, but switching to wellbutrin is more likely to be activating than sedating. of course, ymmv.

is it possible to go up on klonopin, even if just for the short term?

Can't believe someone hasn't suggested Paxil. I would always start slow, be patient, and ask for a benzo or sedating AP to help you until the SSRI kicks in

20 hours ago, gb84 said:

I need something to calm me the hell down.  Anxiety is through the roof and so is my anger and impulse control.  I'm having severe depression since I came off of trintellix, plus it's winter time. 

So maybe I need a different AP that is sedating?  But are there any antidepressants that will help calm me down?  

I tried Remeron years ago, it knocked me out in about 10 minutes, but gave me migraines when I woke up.  

Thanks... 

(have also tried Prozac, zoloft, Cymbalta, effexor, pristiq, viibryd, Lexapro, Celexa, trintellix, probably a few more I can't recall)... 

I take a baby dose of lexapro (5 mg) and so far so good. It is calming to me so far but could be better (as in I need a dose increase). Have you tried a high enough dose of it? I think you can go up to like 20 mg minimum but I know people who have been on higher doses. 

Ymmv. My pdoc is taking it slow due to mania risk in me. I’d like to go up higher in dose but I know I need to be patient.

It’s hard when you want to feel better right this second. I’m speaking for myself about wanting to be better this second. I don’t know if that is how you feel or not. But it’s hard. 

21 hours ago, gb84 said:

Thanks... 

What AP add ons have u tried? There are quite a few that can be soothing 

Of the SSRIs, fluvoxamine is typically the most sedating. Citalopram and escitalopram are also on the more sedating end. 

Of the non-SSRIs, mirtazapine is very calming - and you may tolerate it better at lower doses. Trazodone is also sedating though it is rarely used as an antidepressant these days - it’s mostly used at lower doses for sleep  

The tricyclics (like amitriptyline) tend to be quite sedating but can also be more side effect heavy. 

If you haven’t tried it you could also look into pregabalin - it’s first line for generalized anxiety these days. It won’t do anything for depression but people find it quite calming typically. 

I used to take Remeron and took it for about 5 years. It is VERY sedating, particularly at first. The good news is that usually the intense sedation goes away after a few days or weeks and you are left with a pretty good calming antidepressant. 

It is unfortunate that you tried Remeron and got migraines. What dose did you take? Remeron at just 15 mg is very sedating and still a good antidepressant. If you just need sedation, I have heard that some people have had luck taking 7.5 mg although it's not an effective antidepressant at that dose.

I'm not telling you what to do, but if it were me, I would give Remeron another trial. You are not the same as you were years ago and your body has definitely changed. Hence, you might not get migraines now. Also, as I mentioned above, you could try a lower dose. But you should do what you and your doctor think best.

The other antidepressants that I found sedating and intolerably so were the tricyclics. The tricyclics are an older class of antidepressants that many doctors are reluctant to prescribe today because of the side effects and dangers in overdose. However, they are effective and several of them are very sedating, but unlike Remeron, the extreme sedation doesn't go away (at least not for me).

One other thing, among the SSRIs I found Paxil the most sedating and among the SNRIs, I found Effexor the more sedating. YMMV

On 12/28/2018 at 4:07 PM, cakepop said:

What was your dosage of Lexapro? My pdoc goes up to 40 mg and says everything clears right up.

I made it up to 30mg.. 

23 hours ago, echolocation said:

how far did you get on effexor? 

Not really sure, just remember it nit really having an effect.. 

23 hours ago, echolocation said:

is it possible to go up on klonopin, even if just for the short term?

I've only seen this doc 3 times, so I'm not comfortable asking yet.  This visit will probably be my last with her, since the office can't get her in network for insurance purposes.. 

8 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

It’s hard when you want to feel better right this second. I’m speaking for myself about wanting to be better this second. I don’t know if that is how you feel or not. But it’s hard. 

That's how I feel, I wish I could just walk into the pharmacy and ask for stuff to try immediately.  Waiting sucks, especially when I know I'm only going to get 5-10 minutes to plead my case.  I think I'm going to have to write a letter for the doc with all my symptoms.  Too much to get out in such a short period of time. 

7 hours ago, Iceberg said:

What AP add ons have u tried? There are quite a few that can be soothing 

I was taking Zyprexa low dose with my previous doc.  I ran out, unfortunately.  If I'm definitely asking for Seroquel to sleep next visit, unless she prescribes something I know will knock me out at night. 

---

So it sounds like remeron or fluvoxamine are good choices.  Now I just have to figure out how to get one of them.  Guess I'm just going to ask flat out.  

31 minutes ago, gb84 said:

I made it up to 30mg.. 

Not really sure, just remember it nit really having an effect.. 

I've only seen this doc 3 times, so I'm not comfortable asking yet.  This visit will probably be my last with her, since the office can't get her in network for insurance purposes.. 

That's how I feel, I wish I could just walk into the pharmacy and ask for stuff to try immediately.  Waiting sucks, especially when I know I'm only going to get 5-10 minutes to plead my case.  I think I'm going to have to write a letter for the doc with all my symptoms.  Too much to get out in such a short period of time. 

I was taking Zyprexa low dose with my previous doc.  I ran out, unfortunately.  If I'm definitely asking for Seroquel to sleep next visit, unless she prescribes something I know will knock me out at night. 

---

So it sounds like remeron or fluvoxamine are good choices.  Now I just have to figure out how to get one of them.  Guess I'm just going to ask flat out.  

Maybe you don't need to ask for a specific med- like you said I think being able to articulate all the symptoms is more important and possibly more helpful for building a relationship with a doc long term (I kno u might change). But maybe see what they think first and then try to give input on their ideas 

On 12/29/2018 at 6:57 AM, mmaryland said:

Can't believe someone hasn't suggested Paxil. I would always start slow, be patient, and ask for a benzo or sedating AP to help you until the SSRI kicks in

I second this. I looked at the list of ADs the OP has tried and was like, "activating....activating.....activating....activating......oh and there's Celexa and Lexapro....lol" But Paxil was naught to be found.

In all seriousness. If you're noticing prominent anxiety and you need something settling, I would second the Lexapro suggestions from earlier but Paxil may be the way to go. Only downsides are coming off of it....like ever......and your genitalia may take a sabbatical.

Remeron could also be a REALLY good choice though. Do you remember what dose you managed to reach last time you tried it? And how long did you take that dose? I would pick Remeron over Paxil or Lexapro any day just to stay away from the sexual dysfunction and horrid SSRI withdrawal.

Another question, based on your sig it looks like you're taking Vraylar. How long have you been taking it in total and how long have you been at 3mg? That could be the source of your activation.

• Like 1