CrazyBoards.org

So, I have the mthfr mutation. Doc gave me samples for about 5 weeks...the thing is, I checked my labs over the past couple of years and my folate has been within normal limits. 

So I tried it anyway. I don’t notice anything huge yet after 6 days, except I have slept much better those nights. Lately my insomnia has been so bad, I’ve had to take doxylamine succinate on top of 300 Trazadone and 3mg Lunesta, ntm 160 Geodon which used to knock me out. 

I forgot to take it yesterday, and slept awful last night!

I realize that the insomnia could also be due to menopause also though. 

Can you have a normal level and still need more because it’s not metabolizing properly?

or is it completely fine if level is fine?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by DammitJanet

4 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

So, I have the mthfr mutation. Doc gave me samples for about 5 weeks...the thing is, I checked my labs over the past couple of years and my folate has been within normal limits. 

Can you have a normal level and still need more because it’s not metabolizing properly?

or is it completely fine if level is fine?

Thanks in advance. 

I have read a little bit about the mthfr mutation, but I'm not a doc so take this with a grain of salt.

Theoretically, your folate levels could be normal, even with the mthfr mutation, but because of the mutation, the folate is not being metabolized properly into it's more usable, bioavailable form, which is called 5-MTHF or methylfolate.

From what I have have read, the mthfr mutation is fairly common (around 40% of people have it)...In some people the symptoms are very minor, and in some people, more severe.

Heck, I might even have it, just never been tested.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I have read a little bit about the mthfr mutation, but I'm not a doc so take this with a grain of salt.

Theoretically, your folate levels could be normal, even with the mthfr mutation, but because of the mutation, the folate is not being metabolized properly into it's more usable, bioavailable form, which is called 5-MTHF or methylfolate.

From what I have have read, the mthfr mutation is fairly common (around 40% of people have it)...In some people the symptoms are very minor, and in some people, more severe.

Heck, I might even have it, just never been tested.

Ok that helps. I was gonna give it back to her if it didn’t seem needed. But my sleep is a lot better and deeper when I take it. I’ll take it for the 5 weeks and se what happens. Thank you again, CRH. ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Ok that helps. I was gonna give it back to her if it didn’t seem needed. But my sleep is a lot better and deeper when I take it. I’ll take it for the 5 weeks and se what happens. Thank you again, CRH. ?

Glad to hear it's helping your sleep so much......Hope it continues to work well.....

I don’t mean to be a contrarian, but I did notice lamictal in your sig.

by all means if this helps you, as everyone is different, don’t let me dissuade you. Keep an open mind.

I do hope it helps you. Seeing as you have 5 weeks of samples, it would be a good test.

while this isn’t too clear if it’s the deplin folate, or normal, there is a possibility that lamotrigine isn’t fully compatible with folate supplements. It is possible that it could nullify the lamictal.

but if nothing else this is another datapoint. If this does work, then perhaps that can possibly mean lamictal is causing issues and something to ask the doc about.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(15)00450-2/fulltext

The tldr version

http://psycheducation.org/treatment/mood-stabilizers/the-big-three-for-bipolar-depression/lamotrigine-lamictal/lamotrigine-and-folate/

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, argh said:

by all means if this helps you, as everyone is different, don’t let me dissuade you. Keep an open mind.

I do hope it helps you. Seeing as you have 5 weeks of samples, it would be a good test.

while this isn’t too clear if it’s the deplin folate, or normal, there is a possibility that lamotrigine isn’t fully compatible with folate supplements. It is possible that it could nullify the lamictal.

but if nothing else this is another datapoint. If this does work, then perhaps that can possibly mean lamictal is causing issues and something to ask the doc about.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(15)00450-2/fulltext

The tldr version

http://psycheducation.org/treatment/mood-stabilizers/the-big-three-for-bipolar-depression/lamotrigine-lamictal/lamotrigine-and-folate/

Well, I’m too tired to read the long one but did read the second one. What I need to know is, if I continue the Deplin, will I be at a higher risk for a seizure? What I do know, is my sleep has drastically improved since starting the deplin. 

46 minutes ago, argh said:

The tldr version

Just called the pharmacist and all he found in interactions was that lamotrogine could lessen the effect of the deplin. I’ll stick with it for the amount I have to see if my sleep continues to be better. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Well, I’m too tired to read the long one but did read the second one. What I need to know is, if I continue the Deplin, will I be at a higher risk for a seizure? What I do know, is my sleep has drastically improved since starting the deplin. 

Possibly, if the lamotrigine is for seizure control vs for your bipolar.

i agree, can’t argue with what works. Regular sleep is good. I know that my mood stability significantly improved once I got my shallow/early awakening issues sorted out. Here’s hoping for some zzzzzzz!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, argh said:

The tldr version

It is the Valprorates that mess with folate, not Lamictal.

1 hour ago, confused said:

I recently started deplin. I have a 90 day supply.  Have Not noticed any difference yet.  It is not covered by my insurance.

is there a cheaper source (legal)?  It is something like $50/month.

50 bucks a month? Where do you live?! It’s like I’m pretty sure something like 300 a month for name brand here in Tennessee? I thought? Maybe I’m wrong...

• Like 1

You only need this if you have the genetic mutation that affects your folate metabolism. You will spend more on the pills if you don't get the test and just assume you will have some sign it is working than getting the test. It does not work that way. With the test you can probably get a prior-authorization from your insurance if you can prove your need (ie have a test result)and it will be much cheaper. Insurance does not pay for most foods and Deplin is listed as a food. Generally, though, Insurance will pay for the genetic test.

Edited by notloki
add: Generally, though, Insurance will pay for the genetic test.

5 hours ago, notloki said:

You only need this if you have the genetic mutation that affects your folate metabolism. You will spend more on the pills if you don't get the test and just assume you will have some sign it is working than getting the test. It does not work that way. With the test you can probably get a prior-authorization from your insurance if you can prove your need (ie have a test result)and it will be much cheaper. Insurance does not pay for most foods and Deplin is listed as a food. Generally, though, Insurance will pay for the genetic test.

My first sentence in my first post I said I have the mutation.  And no. My insurance doesn’t pay for it no matter what. 

Just now, argh said:

There are generic otc supplements on amazon for about 40 to 50, but who knows how much active ingredients you will really be getting. Goodrx coupons can take the brand name stuff to about 150 from what I’m seeing.

Yeah. I only bring in 800 a month so if it makes a big difference in my mood I’ll have to go with that. Thanks for the info. 

21 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

Yeah. I only bring in 800 a month so if it makes a big difference in my mood I’ll have to go with that. Thanks for the info. 

I get brand name Deplin from Brand Direct Health https://www.branddirecthealth.com/. It costs $177 for a 90 day supply.

• Like 1