CrazyBoards.org

Stimulants for depression

• I know this topic has been discussed. BUt i cannot for the life of me find the thread im looking for. Sorry for asking again.
  • So like many know i was on vyvanse, it was great, i felt great. Had some ED, and raynauds. 
  • I switched back to adderall XR with a booster dose of adderall IR. 
  • I still have a bit of the raynauds but not as bad, it is apparently common to have circulation issues with stims hence the ED and raynauds. 
  • But I dont feel nearly as good on adderall. Im better than i was before stims. But still down a bit, little edgy, little anxious, just overwhelmed, dont like the feeling compared to vyvanse. 
  • I tried Ritalin a long time ago, i wasnt stable or on the right combo when I did. But back then i thought adderall worked better.
  • Im just at a loss of where to go. Do i go back to vyvanse, do i try dexadrine(or ask for it) , do i try something different all together.
  • I know a few are on vyvanse, a few on dexadrine, i think one is on ritalin that i know of on here.
  • WHat have you had the best experience with for depression? what options are there? Ive been researching........but coming up blank
  • SOrry for the long repetitive post.

Have a great new year and thanks as always

Edited by looking for answers

I mean I take dexedrine just because I cannot tolerate adderall mixed salts, and find it really does keep me happy and going. Not to say that I use it as an antidepressant, but it does tend to have that effect to some kind. Now if you're looking to treat your depression with vyvanse or dexedrine, you might run into problems long-term with the medications not being effective anymore, unless you increase the dosage.

21 minutes ago, mmaryland said:

I mean I take dexedrine just because I cannot tolerate adderall mixed salts, and find it really does keep me happy and going. Not to say that I use it as an antidepressant, but it does tend to have that effect to some kind. Now if you're looking to treat your depression with vyvanse or dexedrine, you might run into problems long-term with the medications not being effective anymore, unless you increase the dosage.

The vyvanse was the lynch pin, brought it all together.

21 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I'm not sure if I'd go for dexadrine 1) doc's are often reluctant to prescribe it

2) why try another powerful stim and have to re-titrate the dose if the vyvanse is known to work? Is there a reason you couldn't go back? 

The Ed and Raynaud’s but I guess I could try again

17 minutes ago, argh said:

Alternative suggestion. Perhaps push the Wellbutrin to the maximum dose of 450mg first before more stimulant adjustments due to Raynauds.

Wellbutrin is chemically a stim.

https://www.psychiatryletter.org/drug-bupropion-jan-2015.html

you can even get a positive piss test while on it, unless it’s specifically tested for

The Wellbutrin seems to give me anxiety at higher doses, the vyvanse actually controlled my anxiety

Yes Dexedrine was the best for me too, but for fiveish years now in Nashville no one prescribes it anymore. Vyvanse is 2nd place, actually did help with the depression more than all the others...but am temporarily back on Adderall to see if it’s less anxiety than vyvanse. But I’m having anxiety regardless, so most likely going back on vyvanse. Possibly a slightly lower dose. 

17 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Yes Dexedrine was the best for me too, but for fiveish years now in Nashville no one prescribes it anymore. Vyvanse is 2nd place, actually did help with the depression more than all the others...but am temporarily back on Adderall to see if it’s less anxiety than vyvanse. But I’m having anxiety regardless, so most likely going back on vyvanse. Possibly a slightly lower dose. 

seems a lot of us have had depression success with vyvanse, but isn’t that essentially Dexedrine 

Just now, looking for answers said:

seems a lot of us have had depression success with vyvanse, but isn’t that essentially Dexedrine 

From what I’ve read yes. It’s preferred by insurance/docs, again, from what I’ve read, because it’s supposed to be a less addicting form. 

19 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

have u tried vyvanse, am i correct in that vyvanse is basically dexadrine?

mydayis is slightly altered adderall right, the salts are a bit different

They're both amphetamine but different forms- dexadrine is dextrophetamine while vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine. The dextrophetamine can be instant and extended release while vyvanse is only long lasting...it's also less potent 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

They're both amphetamine but different forms- dexadrine is dextrophetamine while vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine. The dextrophetamine can be instant and extended release while vyvanse is only long lasting...it's also less potent 

Correct . But once digested and active isn’t   The lisdexamfetamine converged to dextro 

my pdoc told me mydayis had a slightly different salt configuration then adderall

either way u just want that everything is ok feeling back.

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

have u tried vyvanse, am i correct in that vyvanse is basically dexadrine?

mydayis is slightly altered adderall right, the salts are a bit different

I have tried Vyvanse and I didn't like it. It didn't feel as potent as Dexedrine. It is, in a sense, basically Dexedrine insofar as it is a prodrug for Dexedrine (your body converts it to Dexedrine).

Mydayis is basically Adderall XR + a booster Adderall IR 12 hours later.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

I have tried Vyvanse and I didn't like it. It didn't feel as potent as Dexedrine. It is, in a sense, basically Dexedrine insofar as it is a prodrug for Dexedrine (your body converts it to Dexedrine).

Mydayis is basically Adderall XR + a booster Adderall IR 12 hours later.

I'd think that if the XR+IR Combo didn't work than mydayis probably isn't your best shot