CrazyBoards.org

anti-depressant nightmare continues

So I am living in an antidepressant nightmare!  I was taking Trintellix and it was like taking an aspirin that made me eat constantly!  I went in to see the NP (who throws a dart in the dark kind of mentality) and then puts me in Vyvance in a "light dawns on marble head" moment after I told him that my eating has been so out of control and my therapist and I were going to look for a program for my binge eating disorder.  But Vyvance is not an antidepressant i ask him.  He said that it will help me to not binge and that should make me feel better.  Ok but that won't help the depression.  I reluctantly agreed to try the Vyvance. Oh it helped with the binge eating, a little to well, in fact I didn't eat or hardly drink fluids all day long!  Around 6pm i would start to get hungry so I would stuff my face with whatever i could find and it would continue for a few hours!  Meanwhile I feel so angry that I could stab someone in the eye, constantly tell myself how much of a loser i am, feel like everyone hates me, can never do anything right, just want someone to love me, blah, blah, blah!  Back to the NP a month later to let him know how delighted i was taking the Vyvance!!!  So he suggests trying Viibryd.  Ok, why not... Another one to try and probably another month of my life feeling the same as last month.  Hey it's just time wasted in my tiny crappy life, right?!   So I start the Viibryd and nothing.  Nothing for my depression but some cramps like I need to take a poop,  makes me feel very sleepy and enhances the Doxepin and Remeron I take at night for sleep.  Up to 20mgs and I was standing in my kitchen and all of a sudden I crapped my pants!  WTF!!!!!  So not only does Viibryd do absolutely nothing for my depression but makes me sleepy and shit my pants!  Great, what next????  So if the poopy pants continues then I am going to call the NP and let him know.  The angry feelings and thought about myself and the world continue to swirl around in my head, back to the drawing board i go....

12 minutes ago, Beth45 said:

So I am living in an antidepressant nightmare!  I was taking Trintellix and it was like taking an aspirin that made me eat constantly!  I went in to see the NP (who throws a dart in the dark kind of mentality) and then puts me in Vyvance in a "light dawns on marble head" moment after I told him that my eating has been so out of control and my therapist and I were going to look for a program for my binge eating disorder.  But Vyvance is not an antidepressant i ask him.  He said that it will help me to not binge and that should make me feel better.  Ok but that won't help the depression.  I reluctantly agreed to try the Vyvance. Oh it helped with the binge eating, a little to well, in fact I didn't eat or hardly drink fluids all day long!  Around 6pm i would start to get hungry so I would stuff my face with whatever i could find and it would continue for a few hours!  Meanwhile I feel so angry that I could stab someone in the eye, constantly tell myself how much of a loser i am, feel like everyone hates me, can never do anything right, just want someone to love me, blah, blah, blah!  Back to the NP a month later to let him know how delighted i was taking the Vyvance!!!  So he suggests trying Viibryd.  Ok, why not... Another one to try and probably another month of my life feeling the same as last month.  Hey it's just time wasted in my tiny crappy life, right?!   So I start the Viibryd and nothing.  Nothing for my depression but some cramps like I need to take a poop,  makes me feel very sleepy and enhances the Doxepin and Remeron I take at night for sleep.  Up to 20mgs and I was standing in my kitchen and all of a sudden I crapped my pants!  WTF!!!!!  So not only does Viibryd do absolutely nothing for my depression but makes me sleepy and shit my pants!  Great, what next????  So if the poopy pants continues then I am going to call the NP and let him know.  The angry feelings and thought about myself and the world continue to swirl around in my head, back to the drawing board i go....

Unfortunately ur definetly not the first person to have major GI issues on that med. why did he pick viibryd specifically? That's usually far down the list. 

Have u tried Wellbutrin? Might help to counter ur other sedating meds if your too tired. Is the doxepin just for insomnia?

Iceberg & Cakepop,

I have tried Prozac, Imipramine, Lexapro, Celexa, zoloft, paxil, wellbutrin, effexor, cymbalta, topamax, luvox, haldol (was put on that in the hospital), prozasin, vyvance, trintellix, trazadone(was put on in the hospital), pristique.  I believe that is the list so far. 

I was put on the remeron and Doxepin August of last year because my anxiety was so high that I couldn't sleep.  I am taking 25mg of Doxepin  and 7.5mg of Remeron.  I decreased the remeron from 15 to 7.5 because I was sleeping so late and having a hard time getting out of bed.

I'm not sure what else their is to take.  My biggest concern is weight gain and I have been on a eating frenzy for the last few months.

Edited by Beth45
Forgot a members name
  • Like 1

Have you talked about aap ad ons? They boost some antidepressants and might be able to help with the irritability- options include abilify, rexulti, seroquel (not great for weight) and to a lesser extent zyprexa (weight issues too) and occasionally risperdal- That combo is not typical but can help when angry/hyperactive rumination is that main symptom. Aaps can help sleep so you might be able to ditch having a med just to sleep. You haven't tried any MAOIS it seems- it might be time cuz while they are usually a last resort they are also very effective where other meds are not. However you would have to stop doxepin (and maybe the remeron) for a couple weeks before starting an MAIO and you also couldn't eat certain foods...might be worth a pdoc conversation though if you feel hopeless with the other options. 

On 12/30/2018 at 8:55 PM, Beth45 said:

Iceberg & Cakepop,

I have tried Prozac, Imipramine, Lexapro, Celexa, zoloft, paxil, wellbutrin, effexor, cymbalta, topamax, luvox, haldol (was put on that in the hospital), prozasin, vyvance, trintellix, trazadone(was put on in the hospital), pristique.  I believe that is the list so far. 

I was put on the remeron and Doxepin August of last year because my anxiety was so high that I couldn't sleep.  I am taking 25mg of Doxepin  and 7.5mg of Remeron.  I decreased the remeron from 15 to 7.5 because I was sleeping so late and having a hard time getting out of bed.

I'm not sure what else their is to take.  My biggest concern is weight gain and I have been on a eating frenzy for the last few months.

So I called my NP yesterday and explained to him how the Viibryd is not doing anything for me but giving me diarrhea and how I pooped my pants.  He told me to stop taking it and I see him on Monday.  My question to you guys is what should I suggest to him to try?   I did like the Vyvance but at 20mgs, it was a little to potent so I would ask for 10mgs.  I know that's not an antidepressant so I would want to take it with one.  I really want to get off the Doxepin and Remeron for sleep because I think I can call asleep ok plus one of the side effects are weight gain.  Iceberg mentioned aap ad ons like abilify and rexulti. Thoughts? Suggestion?  Thank you!!!

21 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I know you tried Effexor- but did you try it in combo with the remeron? That combo (the California rocket fuel) is quite effective for many people with refractory depression

I don't think I would want to take Effexor again because I had the hardest time getting off of it.

20 hours ago, looking for answers said:

well if you started taking doxepin and remeron for sleep what changed?

people have had success with boy abilify and rexulti. ABilify did not work for me. BUt everyones different. Ive heard alot like rexulti..........and the stims def help

I have never had trouble sleeping in my life up until last year when my anxiety was thru the roof.  I feel that my sleep is better so I would like to discontinue the night medications.  

I will talk to the NP about abilify and rexulti. 

On 1/6/2019 at 5:32 PM, Beth45 said:

I don't think I would want to take Effexor again because I had the hardest time getting off of it.

I have never had trouble sleeping in my life up until last year when my anxiety was thru the roof.  I feel that my sleep is better so I would like to discontinue the night medications.  

I will talk to the NP about abilify and rexulti. 

Doxepin, remeron, And Rexulti are all big weight gainers for many. Lunesta for sleep is not. I don’t think abilify is either. Please google side effects of all these meds so you don’t shoot yourself in the foot trying to get a gastric bypass. I’m sorry but I had it and tell my doc I will absolutely not take weight gainers. 

Im on Viibryd because...well...it was working wonderfully sans stomach issues, so I take IBS meds. But if it’s not working don’t bother. Was a miracle drug for me. Then. Something. Happened. Who knows what. 

Edited by DammitJanet

4 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Doxepin, remeron, And Rexulti are all big weight gainers for many. Lunesta for sleep is not. I don’t think abilify is either. Please google side effects of all these meds so you don’t shoot yourself in the foot trying to get a gastric bypass. I’m sorry but I had it and tell my doc I will absolutely not take weight gainers. 

Im on Viibryd because...well...it was working wonderfully sans stomach issues, so I take IBS meds. But if it’s not working don’t bother. Was a miracle drug for me. Then. Something. Happened. Who knows what. 

I know,  I told him that I want off of the Remeron and Doxepin because you can gain weight!  I'm a frigging blob! 

I honestly don't know what else I can try that does not have weight gain as a side effect.  :(

Just now, Beth45 said:

I know,  I told him that I want off of the Remeron and Doxepin because you can gain weight!  I'm a frigging blob! 

I honestly don't know what else I can try that does not have weight gain as a side effect.  :(

Lunesta and ambien for sleep anyway. Also doxylamine succinate (Unisom) is also better for sleep than it’s brother diphenhydramine. 

4 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Lunesta and ambien for sleep anyway. Also doxylamine succinate (Unisom) is also better for sleep than it’s brother diphenhydramine. 

I see the NP next Thursday so I will ask him about Lunesta or Ambien.  I would like to get off the "oink" meds and try to sleep using nothing.  

I really don't know what else to try for my depression that does not cause weight gain.

• Like 1

Just now, Beth45 said:

I see the NP next Thursday so I will ask him about Lunesta or Ambien.  I would like to get off the "oink" meds and try to sleep using nothing.  

I really don't know what else to try for my depression that does not cause weight gain.

Youve tried Wellbutrin right?

Also, lexapro is less likely. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, Beth45 said:

Oh I can add Lamicatal (sp) and Rexulti

2 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Woops, should’ve read everything, my bad. Sorry. 

no worries :)

• Like 1

Well, the remeron made me gain a good 20 in 2 months, doxepin 10 in 2 weeks...exercised it back off. Just so you know your eating is probably due to at least one, if not both of those. So there’s hope it’ll slow considerably once on a regular sleep med. 

You’ve tried maoi’s? Tricyclics?