Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

How to get motivation and stay out of bed?


Recommended Posts

Why do I always stay in bed all day instead of getting out of bed and accomplishing things?

I have no motivation at all to clean, cook, shower, craft projects pile up. I feel very bad about this. I feel like I fail at life. I near voices telling me this too. And I can’t even handle having a pet or kids or a job, so I literally have no other responsibilities. 

Yet here I lay in bed again daytime. I also sleep 12 hours a night.

Is there a med or therapy approach that can help with this? I’m at my wits end. I don’t want to die accomplishing nothing and being a huge failure. Although that is going to happen probably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had zero motivation on clozapine. I couldn't even carry a grocery bag out of my car. I never got out of bed. My apartment had trash all over the floor, flies, and it was unsanitary. I wouldn't wash my clothes, I wouldn't shower, etc. That medicine took away psychosis which is good, but it made me lose ALL motivation. It took going to PHP to find a combination that really helps psychosis and allows me to have motivation to live, clean, organize, and get stuff done. I am not saying clozapine isn't for you, I am just sharing my experience. The zyprexa and invega combination has really helped me.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are your thoughts when you're lying in bed?  For example, is it "there's nothing I want to do?"  Or "I'm so miserable all I want to do is sleep?"  Or "There are so many things that I have to do that I cant do any of them?"

I think the strategy might differ based on the reason.  For example, I used to have the last one a lot (getting overwhelmed by everything and therefore not doing anything) so I had to set much smaller goals and be okay with having it be better than nothing.  If it's the first one, then maybe a question of what you used to like or what you think you might like. 

just an idea. Not saying that there isn't a med component also--I know you've said before that you don't feel like it's all sorted out and I agree with you on that to the degree I can tell as someone who isn't inside your head.  I think not being overly AAP-ed might help.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Butterflykisses said:

I had zero motivation on clozapine. I couldn't even carry a grocery bag out of my car. I never got out of bed. My apartment had trash all over the floor, flies, and it was unsanitary. I wouldn't wash my clothes, I wouldn't shower, etc. That medicine took away psychosis which is good, but it made me lose ALL motivation. It took going to PHP to find a combination that really helps psychosis and allows me to have motivation to live, clean, organize, and get stuff done. I am not saying clozapine isn't for you, I am just sharing my experience. The zyprexa and invega combination has really helped me.

I guess it is true that since I’ve started clozapine that the motivation piece has gotten worse, unfortunately. I was thinking it would get better. But I’m already up to 400 mg and it has helped psychosis but it’s not the miracle med I was hoping for and needing. I don’t know if keep increasing it would help or not. My pdoc said it can go to 900 mg. I’m out of options really though if I don’t get better on clozapine. We can’t afford the new ones like Rexulti and vraylar. Those are the last 2 I haven’t tried. I feel like I need PHP to really get a fresh look at my med combo but it’s so expensive and I’m nervous. Plus we need to pay off our fridge that we bought (old one died). I’m stuck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

What are your thoughts when you're lying in bed?  For example, is it "there's nothing I want to do?"  Or "I'm so miserable all I want to do is sleep?"  Or "There are so many things that I have to do that I cant do any of them?"

I think the strategy might differ based on the reason.  For example, I used to have the last one a lot (getting overwhelmed by everything and therefore not doing anything) so I had to set much smaller goals and be okay with having it be better than nothing.  If it's the first one, then maybe a question of what you used to like or what you think you might like. 

just an idea. Not saying that there isn't a med component also--I know you've said before that you don't feel like it's all sorted out and I agree with you on that to the degree I can tell as someone who isn't inside your head.  I think not being overly AAP-ed might help.

My thoughts are listening to the voices and messages. They taunt me until I give in and can’t handle anything and give up and go lay in bed because I’m so weary from it all. I feel so crappy and worried and nervous and down that I just give up and lay down. I have plenty of things to do so that’s not a problem. I might feel a little overwhelmed by all the things but that’s not the primary reason I retreat to the bed. 

Maybe I am needing to get off an AAP ASAP I think you are right. I don’t know if clozapine is making things worse or if it’s just too many in general? I don’t see pdoc until 1/18 I believe. So far away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cakepop said:

It might be a med or meds you’re on. Another med on top isn’t going to fix anything. You have to get up and do things even when it feels bad and horrible and not at all enjoyable. That’s the therapy approach and it DOES work. Do this and repeat each day. Sit upright on your couch during the day. Ask about med changes if you think that may be why. 

I agree that it could be you’re taking too many AAPs. I don’t know what your Pdoc is doing.

Sorry for rambling.

I didn’t mean adding another med on top. I meant either adjusting a dose of a med I’m currently on or dropping a med I’m currently on. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. 

I can’t, I mean literally can’t, get myself to stay out of the bed. I don’t know if I can make myself get up and do things. It has been so long since I’ve done much of anything. But I will try. 

I don’t know. I’ve always been on 2-3 AAP’s to stay well. My pdoc is slowly getting me down to 2 AAP’s right now. She just is going very slowly because I tend to get manic easily. Then I end up in the hospital and I really, really freaking hate the hospital and need to be forced to make me go there. So right or wrong, I feel safer like my pdoc is protecting me from the hospital. I’d do PHP maybe but not the full hospital.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Why do I always stay in bed all day instead of getting out of bed and accomplishing things?

I have no motivation at all to clean, cook, shower, craft projects pile up. I feel very bad about this. I feel like I fail at life. I near voices telling me this too. And I can’t even handle having a pet or kids or a job, so I literally have no other responsibilities. 

Yet here I lay in bed again daytime. I also sleep 12 hours a night.

Is there a med or therapy approach that can help with this? I’m at my wits end. I don’t want to die accomplishing nothing and being a huge failure. Although that is going to happen probably.

I could of written this. I don't want to do anything but sleep and lay in bed all day but at the same time I want to want to do things if that makes sense. Pretty much everyday is exactly the same for me and I hate myself for having zero motivation and such little desire to change things. 

I recently downloaded a free habit tracker onto my phone with a small list of things to do each day that I check off. I've gone with very simple things in the hope that eventually they may stick and become routine. Maybe that is something you can do. Start of with such small tasks like wash up and shower everyday then gradually add another thing to the list. Don't push yourself to hard and reward yourself for the little things you manage. I think sometimes its the less you do the less you want to do. Also a lot of the time these meds make us so bloody tired you're having to fight the physical issues as well as the mental ones and that can just be so overwhelming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it possible you actually overshot the clozapine does you need and didn't give lower doses a chance? I was totally over sedated on cloz but we realized I was a slower metabolizer and the "normal" dose for others was too high for me, despite that I needed high doses of almost all other meds 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you take stimulants or do they make you manic? That's what my pdoc did with my sedation from clozapine. Also in  terms of motivation, my IOP pdoc said that clozapine at larger doses can act as an anti-depressant and I'm going to try it if my current plan to treat depression doesn't work. Also your on 5mg of Lexapro and the max dose is 20mg. Is it possible to increase the dose without the risk of mania? I'm currently titrating on Lexapro and I'm liking it so far. Feeling calm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cakepop said:

I’m loving Lexapro too. 5 mg but titrating up as well.

My pdoc told me Clozapine is only for Schizophrenics who are out of control and in danger of hurting themselves. It’s not something to take lightly. So probably try other AD methods first...

 

I think that is a bit overboard on the part of your pdoc. Because Cheese was already on clozapine I was just letting her know that she might experience some AD effect at a higher dose. Some of us cannot tolerate other APs or get relief from psychotic symptoms thus we have to try clozapine. Clozapine isn't for everyone but I actually get less side effects from it then say risperidone or Haldol. The blood tests are a pain but at least I'm taking something that works.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2018 at 10:03 AM, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Why do I always stay in bed all day instead of getting out of bed and accomplishing things?

I have no motivation at all to clean, cook, shower, craft projects pile up. I feel very bad about this. I feel like I fail at life. I near voices telling me this too. And I can’t even handle having a pet or kids or a job, so I literally have no other responsibilities. 

Yet here I lay in bed again daytime. I also sleep 12 hours a night.

Is there a med or therapy approach that can help with this? I’m at my wits end. I don’t want to die accomplishing nothing and being a huge failure. Although that is going to happen probably.

..

Edited by coraline
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

 

I think that is a bit overboard on the part of your pdoc. Because Cheese was already on clozapine I was just letting her know that she might experience some AD effect at a higher dose. Some of us cannot tolerate other APs or get relief from psychotic symptoms thus we have to try clozapine. Clozapine isn't for everyone but I actually get less side effects from it then say risperidone or Haldol. The blood tests are a pain but at least I'm taking something that works.

Thank you for the info! My pdoc has mentioned the same thing regarding clozapine helping depression at higher doses.

My pdoc is leery of increasing lexapro like I mentioned due to mania risk. I tend to get manic quite easily, unfortunately. So I have very few options to help with depression. I’m actually surprised she said to let me try lexapro. I don’t even know if she will ever increase it. My guess is she will take me off of it soon. Like it’s a short term helper med.

Her plan is to increase clozapine while decreasing the abilify for now soon. But moving very slowly so I don’t end up in the hospital. So I will eventually be on just 2 AAP’s again (seroquel XR and clozapine, is what she is hinting at).

 

15 hours ago, cakepop said:

I’m loving Lexapro too. 5 mg but titrating up as well.

My pdoc told me Clozapine is only for Schizophrenics who are out of control and in danger of hurting themselves. It’s not something to take lightly. So probably try other AD methods first...

Yep. I guess I’m just your dangerous to myself, out of control SZA here. I can’t try most AD methods because I get manic very easily. Your pdoc is spreading stigma for those of us who need clozapine, who’ve tried almost all AAP’s and some AP’s on the market. Who have treatment resistant psychosis. Why would he say such a thing?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, cakepop said:

I don’t think he’s spreading stigma. He’s actually very intelligent. He used to be a Pharmacist too. I think he was telling me this based on his own experience probably.

I had a previous treating Pdoc tell me Clozapine is really only for people who don’t have time to do anything but sit at home and drool on themselves. Yeah that one was pretty harsh I’ll admit. He wouldn’t let me try a low dose of Clozapine because of this belief.

I take an older AP called Perphenazine now at a low dose. It helps my paranoia and agitation.

 

That is horse shit. I only drool in my sleep on clozapine and I am able to go about my day when I'm not depressed. First rule of psychiatric medicine, everyone is different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheese, 

i am sorry your topic on clozapine got out of hand. I am not opposed to clozapine and know it has restored a lot of people with psychotic disorders. It truly did help my psychosis but for some reason I lost all of my motivation, was it clozapine completely or was I depressed, I don’t know. I recently tried to give it a second try but I went to high of a mg too fast like from 50 to 300 in 3 days and lost my ability to speak, almost stroke like. So now I am scared to go back on it. I would talk to your pdoc and see if it’s med related or depression. if going up on a higher dose could help then I say give it a shot! Rooting for you!

Edited by Butterflykisses
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...