CrazyBoards.org

Hi all!

So I was on Seroquel for many years, then it stopped working. My pdoc transitioned me over to Zyprexa. It took several months to wean off the Seroquel, and I've been totally Seroquel-free for about 2 weeks now. I'm noticing that despite what "everyone" says, Zyprexa  doesn't conk me out at bedtime. Matter of fact I can lie there for hours without falling asleep.

I'm taking 10 mg of Zyprexa plus 2 mg of Ativan. I've been taking the Ativan for years to help with my Seroquel-induced nightmares, so that's not a new med for me.

Has anyone else experienced trouble sleeping with Zyprexa, or am I just the oddball? Or hasn't it completely kicked in yet? Or is my body still adjusting to life without Seroquel?

I'm seeing my pdoc next week and of course I'm going to bring this up with her. Meantime, do you guys have any input?

Thanks, and happy new year!

1 hour ago, kattapilla said:

I'm taking 10 mg of Zyprexa plus 2 mg of Ativan. I've been taking the Ativan for years to help with my Seroquel-induced nightmares, so that's not a new med for me.

Has anyone else experienced trouble sleeping with Zyprexa, or am I just the oddball? Or hasn't it completely kicked in yet? Or is my body still adjusting to life without Seroquel?

What time are you taking the Zyprexa?........Are you taking it just for sleep, or for something else?.

I think it's a good idea to let your pdoc know about the sleep problems.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I usually take it about half an hour before I go to bed. Seroquel doped me up so much that I would conk out (for a while, till the sugar cravings hit) pretty much right away. So not feeling knocked out is almost a new experience for me.

I haven't had a lot of the side effects of Zyprexa that people talk about. No sleepiness, no hunger, no weight gain. Sometimes that kind of scares me because it makes me wonder if it's actually doing anything!

I'll see what my doc says and hopefully it's good news.

Thanks for responding!

Have you tried trazodone, low-dose doxepin, hydoxyzine, Rozerem, or Belsomra?

On 1/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, mikl_pls said:

Have you tried trazodone, low-dose doxepin, hydoxyzine, Rozerem, or Belsomra?

It's possible trazodone, low-dose doxepin, and hydroxyzine wouldn't work in this case. Zyprexa not only has high affinity for 5HT2A and H1 but it's also an INVERSE agonist at those receptors. At 10mg of olanzapine, those receptors are probably totally saturated. Remember that Remeron does the same thing. It's super sedating at the lower doses where it employs mostly histamine blockade but at high doses once H1 is saturated, you overcome some of that sedation enhanced adrenergic neurotransmission, also similarly to Seroquel. Belsomra or Rozerem would be worth a shot though because of their different mechanisms.

This could also just be adjusting to life without Seroquel. It can be super sedating relative to Zyprexa, but it could depend on dose.

@katapilla what dose of quetiapine were you on when you started decreasing it and titrating to olanzapine?

3 hours ago, browri said:

It's possible trazodone, low-dose doxepin, and hydroxyzine wouldn't work in this case. Zyprexa not only has high affinity for 5HT2A and H1 but it's also an INVERSE agonist at those receptors. At 10mg of olanzapine, those receptors are probably totally saturated. Remember that Remeron does the same thing. It's super sedating at the lower doses where it employs mostly histamine blockade but at high doses once H1 is saturated, you overcome some of that sedation enhanced adrenergic neurotransmission, also similarly to Seroquel.

Herp derp face palm! I didn't think about that... lol. Thanks for pointing that out! ;)

However the Belsomra and Rozerem are both viable options because they exploit the orexin receptor system and the melatonin system respectively. So no therapeutic overlap.

Either that or try a different benzo. Or try zaleplon, zolpidem CR or eszopiclone.