CrazyBoards.org

Which generic Adderall is best?

Navitus just sent me a letter saying "Happy New Year! Your brand-name Adderall will now cost you $400/month because we're assholes!" (I now have to pay the difference between brand-name and generic if I want brand-name.)

The problem is that I've tried generics and either they give me diarrhea and are barely absorbed (lactose-intolerant) and/or they release inconsistently and just generally work like shit (bad come-down, etc.).

Are there generics that people are generally happy with? My former doctor told me at some point that the molds had been licensed to someone so that the generics they made were very close to the original but he died of pancreatic cancer so I can't ask him.

I have to wait until June to switch insurance plans (thank god that's an option, at least at the moment . . . ) which is longer than what I have a stash for so I need to figure something out. Thanks so much for any info!

I made a spreadsheet with a list of authorized generics for Adderall, which I'll include a link for from my Google Drive.

https://www.greenstonellc.com/generics-101
"According to the FDA, an authorized generic is the exact same as a brand-name drug. The only difference is that authorized generics do not include the brand name on their labels. As opposed to a generic drug (ANDA), which may have certain differences from the brand-name product, like inactive ingredients, an authorized generic drug is identical in both active and inactive ingredients to a brand-name drug. An authorized generic may be marketed by the original brand-name drug company, or it may provide another company permission to do so. In some cases, a company may choose to sell the authorized generic at a lower cost than its brand-name drug even though it is the same drug. (e.g., Greenstone Zoloft vs. sertraline or Greenstone Xanax vs. alprazolam) An authorized generic is marketed unter the brand-name drug's NDA. It is considered to be therapeutically equivalent to the brand-name drug because it is the same drug. This means it has the same clinical efficacy and safety profile." 

In the spreadsheet, I included the NDC (the national drug code, which you'll need when you go to the pharmacy and ask them to order from a specific manufacturer and specific strength) and the strength and manufacturer (and, just in case, the quantity) associated with the NDC (the quantity is mainly for the pharmacy tech and/or the pharmacist).

Unfortunately, the only authorized generics for Adderall were for Adderall XR; there were none for the instant-release Adderall. I did, however, include some brands that I trust for the Adderall IR, Mallinckrodt and Teva (I would lean more towards Mallinckrodt if they have the strength you need). I've personally never taken Mollinckrodt Adderall, but I've taken their Dexedrine, both IR and ER, and it works marvelously--better than any other manufacturer's Dexedrine I've ever tried... I've also taken their Metadate CD and it was the only methylphenidate I actually responded to (albeit very weakly).

If you're not on XR, you could ask your pharmacist about getting on XR, since it actually has authorized generics (which are exactly like brand-name). Then the pharmacy is more likely to be able to get one of the authorized generics ordered or maybe even has one in stock, and is less likely to be all like "I'm sorry, we can't order that, they're out of stock..." or "we're sorry, we can't get that brand..." etc. If you and/or your pdoc really want to keep [you] on the instant-release, the two I mentioned in the spreadsheet should be easily ordered (especially the Teva, but I'd really push for the Mallinckrodt...).

As for the diarrhea, I'm not so sure it could be a lactose intolerance issue as there are no lactose/milk inactive ingredients in the Adderall tablets. The inactive ingredients are:

• Microcrystalline cellulose
  • Silicon dioxide
  • Povidone (PVP)
  • Stearic acid

Even if you do have diarrhea, depending on how soon after you take the medicine, I don't think it will affect the absorption of the Adderall. If it's occurring right after you take it, you have nothing to worry about, but if it's happening a couple of hours after taking it, I would guess that would be something to worry about.

PVP is known for causing anaphylactic reactions, but as for diarrhea, I'm not sure. Adderall does cause GI issues like diarrhea, constipation, and upset stomach for some people, but less so than methylphenidate (Ritalin). (Pdocs choose Adderall over Ritalin in children who have sensitive stomachs for this reason.)

Here's the link to the spreadsheet I made

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xypA2Ni3LDUr2-2vq9ZXoMJkj1XasPIVbocY2teGkEM/edit?usp=sharing

If you try any of these generics and you still experience GI symptoms, you might try another amphetamine stimulant, like Dexedrine (which, personally, I like better than Adderall), Vyvanse, Evekeo (which went generic recently, apparently), etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Teva was the first brand I ever took when I first started taking Adderall. They seemed decent, but I took one brand that I can't remember the name of, and it was waaaaay more potent than the Teva I was used to, and after that, Adderall was never the same for me...

I haven't taken Mallinckrodt (or SpecGx or whatever they're called now) Adderall before, but I've taken both their Dexedrine IR and ER and it's absolutely tops... far superior to any brand I've taken. I've also taken their Metadate CD (an extended release Ritalin product), and I actually felt something from it even at a low dose, where as before, I had never responded to Ritalin at any dose. Mallinckrodt Adderall isn't an authorized generic, but they're a pretty good company and I trust their products (at least their stimulants anyway...)

Avoid Barr at all costs... Their generics all seem crappy. Their Adderall, Dexedrine, Ritalin, Focalin, etc. My pdoc even doesn't like Barr products.

Authorized generics are the way to go, if your pharmacy will order them for you. An authorized generic is exactly the same as the brand name drug, but marketed without the brand name on the label. It can be marketed by the brand name drug company, or another company with permission from the brand company.