CrazyBoards.org

Hello, 

I was prescribed Lamictal 150 mg for racing thoughts, generalized and social anxiety, and rapid speech. While on Lamictal 150 mg I got a routine blood test and my PCP (Primary care Physician) asked me if I was sick when I got the blood test, because I had a high White blood cell count, and had a high Lymph count. I told her no, but that I started a new med a few weeks ago (Lamictal 150 mg), and at times I felt kind of crappy on it, and that what I think was causing the increased white cell and lymph counts. A few weeks later she followed up with another blood test to make sure my WBC weren't increasing or changing, but they were staying at the same level. I'm 99% sure the increased WBC and Lymph counts are from Lamictal 150 mg, because the same thing happened with Lamictal 150 mg a few years ago. 

So, I read online that anti-convulsants can cause increased white blood cell counts. I'm ok with this, because the Lamictal is helping me (On a side note- actually now I'm taking Lamictal 175 mg without my psychiatrist's knowledge or prescription, because I wanted to see if it would help me more than 150 mg, and it has- but she wanted me to go on Latuda 20 mg and to go down to Lamictal 100 mg.) But I wonder if having the high WBC is healthy. BTW, the highest my WBC count should be is under 10.8, and mine's 12.1, and the highest my Lymph count should be is 3.1, mine is 4.4 (On Lamictal 150 mg). 

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them on Lamictal or on another anti-convulsant/mood stabilizer, and is it ok or healthy to have this side effect. I will be sure to bring this up with my psychiatrist on our next meeting.

Thank you in advance, 

Lisa2712

Lisa - I'm afraid I don't have any experience with Lamictal, but I do have a question: Did you see a breakdown of your elevated white blood cell count in terms of the types of white blood cells present? It makes me wonder if it would actually help people who are immunocompromised and don't have enough of certain white blood cells.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Lisa - I'm afraid I don't have any experience with Lamictal, but I do have a question: Did you see a breakdown of your elevated white blood cell count in terms of the types of white blood cells present? It makes me wonder if it would actually help people who are immunocompromised and don't have enough of certain white blood cells. 

I'm not sure. My doctor tested for a lot of things for that blood test.