CrazyBoards.org

Zoloft and my teeth

I've been taking 50mg of Zoloft now for five days and I've had virtually no side effects, for which I am thankful. However, there is one thing that I've noticed since taking the Zoloft. All of a sudden, the top teeth on both the left and right side of my mouth seem to hurt whenever I bite down on things. That was odd, so I looked up what might be causing it and I think maybe I'm clenching my teeth without realizing it? That would certainly explain the pain, but in any case I was wondering something. Do you think the possible teeth clenching will go away after awhile?

I've been clenching my teeth for years, and it's never hurt me to bite things. Could there be a different reason for the pain? Because the only thing clenching my teeth does to me is (possibly) give me migraines.

Edited by Ari

4 hours ago, Ari said:

I've been clenching my teeth for years, and it's never hurt me to bite things. Could there be a different reason for the pain? Because the only thing clenching my teeth does to me is (possibly) give me migraines.

No I don't think so. The pain only started after I started taking the Zoloft, so I'm thinking that must be the culprit. It's an odd side effect, though, if I'm being honest.

One thing that sertraline and fluoxetine have in common is a high affinity for the dopamine transporter relative to other SSRIs (i.e. they aren't very "selective"). Fluoxetine's affinity for DAT is low but norfluoxetine is much higher and would be noticed at fluoxetine's higher dosing (e.g. >40mg). This may be why those two cause clenching similarly to stimulants via dopamine activation.

Edited by browri
  • Thanks 1

Also keep in mind, Juniper, that Abilify would potentiate Prozac's increase in dopaminergic signaling. Abilify is a 5HT1A agonist and 5HT2A antagonist which causes a downstream increase in dopamine release. Combine this with Prozac's dopamine reuptake inhibition which would prevent the newly released dopamine from returning to the sending neuron and you can have a lot of dopaminergic "noise". However, because Abilify is also a dopamine partial agonist, this may put the breaks on that a bit.