CrazyBoards.org

Enlyte--anybody heard about it?

I had a blood test ordered by pdoc, and was found to have low folate levels.....However, I have not had any genetic testing done to see if I have the mthfr mutation.

Pdoc thinks my low levels might be due to me being a vegetarian..........She prescribed me a supplement called Enlyte, which I think might be similiar to Deplin.......When I looked it up, the website said it is specifically for people who have depression and low folate.

https://www.enlyterx.com/about-enlyte/

Anyway, I soon found out that my insurance will not cover it, and of course there are no generic alternatives.....The cash price is about $165 for one month supply (30 caps) at my pharmacy with the good rx coupon.....I would love to try this, but doc had no samples, and I can't afford it........Doc wanted to try this out before putting me back on an AAP.

I called doc's office late yesterday, and left message that I couldn't afford it, but have not received a call back yet.

I'm so disappointed..........Is there any alternative?......It sucks being poor.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Ah. Did you know L-methylfolate, folinic acid, and folic acid are available OTC ? L-methylfolate, folinic acid, and folic acid are all that is in EnLyte. It's Deplin with folinic and folic acid. You should cost out making it up yourself. https://www.swanson.com is where I get supps. If your Insurance will pay for Deplin (which I doubt, but would always try and also try a prior-authorization) folinic acid, and folic acid are not expensive OTC. You might as well put through a prior-authorization for EnLyte. Both EnLyte and Deplin are classified as medical foods and insurance does not usually pay for foods without a prior-authorization.

Edited by notloki
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, notloki said:

. Both EnLyte and Deplin are classified as medical foods and insurance do not usually pay for foods without a prior-authorization.

Thanks........I will call doc and see if she can do PA.....If that doesn't work out, I can get the supplements you mentioned OTC.

Also, if you want to take Deplin, the pharmaceutical company has a deal where they will send you a 90-day supply for a certain amount. I forget how much it was, but I did that for a while after my insurance quit paying for Deplin. It was rather pricey, though. You could call them and ask how much it was. I seem to remember it being around $100-ish, but it's a 90-day supply.

There's also this supplement that I used to get, that I probably should start taking again...

https://www.methylpro.com/L-Methylfolate/

Deplin comes in 7.5 and 15 mg doses, so that would be the equivalents, but you could get whatever dose you want.

(I just ordered myself some... lol)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

There's also this supplement that I used to get, that I probably should start taking again...

https://www.methylpro.com/L-Methylfolate/

Deplin comes in 7.5 and 15 mg doses, so that would be the equivalents, but you could get whatever dose you want.

(I just ordered myself some... lol)

Thanks for the link........Does the methylfolate help?

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Thanks for the link........Does the methylfolate help?

It helps me a little but after a while it's like I'm not taking anything, then I will not take it for a while and the process repeats itself. The biggest difference I saw was when I first started brand-name Deplin. My depression remitted over the weekend but came back over the next few weeks ever so gradually.