CrazyBoards.org

My skin is peeling on my hands often. They are kind of like blisters, but it doesn't hurt. I'm pretty sure the Lamictal is doing it. It doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering is this a sign I should stop? I was told that if I get a rash I should stop. But what about skin peeling?

My skin is peeling on my hands often. They are kind of like blisters, but it doesn't hurt. I'm pretty sure the Lamictal is doing it. It doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering is this a sign I should stop? I was told that if I get a rash I should stop. But what about skin peeling?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've read on some websites that skin peeling can, in fact, be one of those not-so-common side effects.  i would suggest calling your doctor and getting it checked out.  if it is the lamictal, you and your doctor need to decide on a course of action (whether to continue taking it or not, dosage changes, etc.).  but, you also never know... it might not be the lamictal.  i just so happen to be on it, and have been for a while, but have had some skin peeling recently.... i blame the weather!.... whatever it is, it would not hurt to talk to your doctor just in case...

good luck and be well

~Ophelia

Heya nnxt,

Get someone to lay eyes on you please.

What you're describing could for sure be caused by a lot of ordinary crap like winter.

But.

Could be on the spectrum of Lamictal rashes and might be a trigger to go off.

Blistering an dpeeling for no obvious reason needs to be checked out, especially for those of us on a medication that can cause SJS.

So, get someone to look at your hands, okay.

--ncc--

it's probably the bubonic plague.

little known fact: europe's outbreak in the 14th century was caused by lamictal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

really?  omg, we are ALL crazy!  i guess that's why we are here...

I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it here....

I've always had a tendency towards skin peeling (since I moved from the South to the geographical North - mind you, not the cultural North - just the geographical - i.e. Indiana - in 1994).  In fact, my classmates called me the dusty Arab (mainly since they were ignorant fuquetards who couldn't tell the difference between an Arab and an American if their life depended on it).  Since I moved in 1994, I've had the most problems near my fingernails, just south of my cuticles, which could be so severe that they'd incur bleeding - flowing, dripping blood, at that.

But, ever since I made the move to college in 2000, into Cleveland's more moist-winter (and much snowier!) climate, I hadn't had that problem... that is, until I'd been a few weeks on Lamictal.  Even after moving to eastern GA from equally moist Baltimore recently (both of which are humid and mild this time of year), I've had severe skin peeling and literally, dripping blood on occasion (yeah TMI =P).  I guess you're not the only one having this.

I'm trying to combat it using hardcore greasy moisturizers (stuff that's petroleum jelly-based).  Have you tried these?

herrfous:

Not sure if this relates to what you describe, but for any cracking I strongly recommend a product called Flexitol: http://www.flexitol.com/index.html. It's the best I've ever found; tried I can't remember how many products prior to this. My feet looked liked the "before" picture on the box, and within a couple weeks like the "after" picture.

This product is designed for diabetic foot care. I found it great for my (non-diabetic) feet, as well as my hands. Really healed them up, and now whenever I feel either feet or hands start to crack, I slather up with the stuff. Takes care of it. Here in the arid alpine region where I reside, where the 1st thing to happen to tourists as they hit town is that their lips immediately crack and bleed, that's saying a lot.

I found this in my local supermarket chain, in the foot care section -- you know, where the Dr. Scholl's crap is. Kind of pricey, but worth it. I wait for it to go on sale and then buy a couple large tubes; know I'll use it. But, for starters, buy a small tube and see what you think.

herrfous:

Not sure if this relates to what you describe, but for any cracking I strongly recommend a product called Flexitol: http://www.flexitol.com/index.html. It's the best I've ever found; tried I can't remember how many products prior to this. My feet looked liked the "before" picture on the box, and within a couple weeks like the "after" picture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

revlow -

You know what's weird, I just realized that the peeling is occurring on exactly one finger (left-index, to be specific).  Though, I can't say your suggestion would hurt - I'll look it up!

Archived