CrazyBoards.org

Hello CrazyBoards,

I started 5mg Trintellix a week ago and in a nutshell, felt 40-50% better the very next day. Before I get deafened with shouts of "PLACEBO!", think again since I'm treatment-resistant (20+ years) and never expect meds to work - because they nearly always don't. FTR I've tried tens of med combos, treatments, ECT, dTMS unsuccessfully. They either make me worse, have no effect or help somewhat and then poop-out within 2-4 weeks.

Furthermore my mood started dipping significantly 3 days ago so I upped the dose to 7.5mg last night, again not expecting anything and lo and behold, I felt significantly better - like "naturally" or "simply" better today. 

Has anyone heard of, or experienced such a rapid improvement?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have a the same experience ONCE, when I started cymbalta the next day I felt like I had more energy and felt less depressed.   It continued to get better each day I was on cymbalta but unfortunately it was short lived and pooped out after a few months.  So I do believe that can happen and not be a "placebo" effect.  I hope it continues to work for you.  Unfortunately trintellix did not work for me. As like you, I am med resistant to the majority of medications I have tried. 

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

no, im thinking placebo, just because your TR, doesnt mean you dont have hope

I appreciate I cannot be objective in this discussion but I respectfully disagree.
A) I'm severely depressed - my brain just doesn't "do" hope. Hasn't done so for many, many years.
B) 19/20 meds make me worse or have no effect so it's actually logical and realistic for me to have little to no hope.
C) I felt significantly different. Not just more optimistic or hopeful or less down - significantly different both cognitively and emotionally.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 10:24 PM, argh said:

I've only heard of such rapid and positive change with taking ADs, occur in people who are bipolar. But bipolar meds didn't work for you right?

Yeah that's correct, unfortunately.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:51 AM, BrianOCD said:

Placebo or not, if he's feeling better that's all that really matters...

Sadly @BrianOCD, it didn't last and I crashed on day 4 - hence no replies from me... until today since it's the first day in a week where I've felt human again. Let's hope it lasts for longer than 3 days this time (I'm not holding my breath).

20 hours ago, notloki said:

That rapid a response I've only seen in bipolar folk who take certain AD's or someone who did not realize they are bipolar and took certain AD's. Time will tell.

As @argh mentioned I'm not BPx unfortunately. I'm a medical conundrum wrapped in an enigma, veiled by mysteriousness. AKA "fucked".

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By tangela
      Just thought I would share some experience with Trintellix.  I started 2-3 months ago on 5mg.  mainly for anxiety and depression.  I also take a variety of meds to help me sleep.  Trintellix can be really nauseating when you start (for at least two weeks)  When I moved up from 5mg to 10mg - I became comatose. So, I went back to 5 and it's been great-  It' gives a little boost of energy- similar to vyvanse.  It helps me not to go home and cry everyday.  :-)  I seem to eat less- in terms of general snacking.  What I have found with this med - is even at this low dose- you metabolize alcohol more quickly.  2 drinks can = drunk.  And, if I have a drink and get a little stoned- I'm up vomiting all night.  Just putting the warning out there-  not drinking is the way to go on this med....  wondering if anyone has had similar experiences...  
    • By sming
      Heyup,
      I'm taking Vyvanse for my 20+ year treatment-resistant depression and it's working better than anything I've ever tried (the bad news is that the last 3-4 days it's losing its potency and/or taking longer to kick in, but that's another story). 
      I am asking about its variable effectiveness since I also found it to vary even when it was still potent. E.g. Monday my mood would be 6/10 depression (10/10 is best mood) then Tues 4/10 then Weds 7/10. 
      Anyone know why this variability happens? Anyone got any tips?
      FTR I'm on 150mg Brand Lamictal, Abilify 5mg, 15mg Percocet (for chronic pain), 60mg Vyvanse, 36mg concerta (since the Vyvanse lasts 8 hours max), 20mg Omeprazole (for NERD, GERD's geeky cousin), 100mg trazodone (for sleep), 300 ranitidine (for NERD). I take the meds at the same times every day.
      Many thanks!
      Pete

• By nervousnellie
      Hi there,
      I have had great success taking Trintellix (10mg) along with a small dose of Klonopin (.5mg) for a little over a year to control anxiety.  However, I have recently noticed that the smallest thing can make me really angry.  Often this is when I am under some stress (that's another issue -- I stress out extremely easily, but that has ALWAYS been an issue).  This is anger directed at others, not usually myself (although I feel quite guilty once I realize that it was no big deal).  Sometimes it's pretty bad anger (and I'll nag and give lectures to my kids, for example, for very little reason); other times it's just being extremely annoyed (usually it's the latter).
      I have always been the type to get stressed over little things; the Trintellix has not helped with that (but has helped tremendously with anxiety/panic).  However, I feel like I'm angry much more often than I used to be.  Could it be that I need to up my dosage from the 10mg?  Or could it be that Trintellix can actually cause anger?  Or could it be that consistent therapy is in order (can this sort of thing be "cured")?  I feel like I'm ruining my marriage because I get angry at every little thing my husband does/doesn't do.
      One additional note:  I am post-menopausal (about 4 years; went through menopause young).  Could hormones still be at play?  I do have a ton of hot flashes still, so I know I haven't completely adjusted.
      Thank you for any input!
    • By sugjesstive
      hello, new here. i found the board by googling two of my meds interactions.

went to my psych today and got a new med... read about two of my meds interaction and lowkey i'm terrified lol.

list of all drugs/substances i take once a day, all in the morning:
      300mg bupropion qd
      400mg lamictal qd
      10mg generic zyrtec
      "women's" multivitamin
      5000mg biotin
      birth control pill

as needed:
      30mg zenzedi OR adderall. i only take half at a time, and not every day, though i do most days
      5mg ambien (take ~5x a week)

my depression has been terrible for the last year -- tbh since the election. dropped out of Uni fall semester last year and haven't been since. i have been lazy, 100000% unmotivated, reclusive, gained 30lbs in less than 2 years etc etc. i don't want to leave the house to see my friends and family because i am embarrassed about my weight gain (also because of the reclusiveness i mentioned). 

after talking with my psych, she suggested adding 5mg Trintellix (Brintellix?). she mentioned that the most common side effects were nausea, diarrhea etc etc. she said that if it seemed to be helping i could lower my wellbutrin dose and perhaps stop taking it entirely (trintellix being its replacement). after leaving her office i did what any other millennial would do and googled the medication. there is a LOT of information about the possibility of serotonin syndrome being a side effect - i read somewhere 15%???? that seems low but like google it - it sounds terrifying. combining wellbutrin + trintellix has a "MAJOR" interaction per drugs.com, which states that the risks outweigh the benefits when combined. i immediately left my psych a message telling her basically what i said but less crazy (pfff lol) sounding. she called back and said that she's never seen that, it's very rare, she's met only one prescriber who reported it in a patient, and it's usually at higher doses. i feel a little better but still a bit nervous.

not really sure what i'm expecting to get from this post but i'm so annoyed with taking a millions meds and i keep seeing deaths reported by combined meds, often including (not limited to) adderall and ambien. like i'm in my early 30s, i don't want to die in my sleep.... anyway, hi!
    • By rjvfl
      Hello, all. I'm new to this site. I've been working with a pdoc for the past 3 to 4 years and, more recently, a therapist, due to what I personally classify as treatment resistant MDD. I'm in my mid-forties. Throughout this time, my pdoc has tried multiple "cocktail" combinations of medications. Some combinations work for a while, but it's difficult to become excited when I'm in a good period because I know the bottom can, and likely will, drop out from under my feet again. I'm curious whether anyone has had any success with a similar pharmaceutical lineup like mine. I'm also hoping someone might have tips on outrunning the black dog for longer than a few months at a time. I trust my pdoc, but I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion. Unfortunately, I live in an area where there are not many pdocs from which to choose.
      Some things to know:
      I have sleep apnea. For most of my adult life, I've fought drowsiness during the day no matter how much sleep I get. I've had multiple CPAP titrations, but they never seem to do much for the daytime sleepiness. About 3 years ago, I was diagnosed with ADD. Current medicinal lineup:
      Adderall (15 mg x 2 per day) Lamictal (75 mg x 2 per day) Xanax (0.5 mg x 3 per day) Buspar (15 mg x 4 per day) Trintellix (20 mg x 1 per day) Made me nauseated when I took it during the day, so my pdoc had me start taking it at bedtime, which made all the difference. Starting today, replacing Latuda with Vraylar (1.5 mg x 1 per day) Previously tried the following:
      Paxil (40 mg x 1 per day) I started this for social anxiety nearly 20 years ago and was taken off of it around 6 months ago. Going off of this after so long was a terrible experience, but those effects have subsided. Prozac Wellbutrin (150 mg x 1 per day) Latuda (20 mg x 1 per day) Seroquel (25 mg x 1 per day) Slept like a baby on this, but it made the daytime drowsiness worse. Rexulti Experienced akathisia with this one. Abilify Also experienced akathisia on this. Viibryd Had stomach cramps I'm also using the following supplements:
      Omega-3 Vitamin D Vitamin B6, Magnesium, Zinc capsule Ashwaganda/Rhodiola