CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
DammitJanet

No more Xanax. ☹️

3 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Klonopin is actually twice as potent as Xanax, so 0.5 mg Klonopin = 1 mg Xanax.

I think Klonopin would be a good idea barring that it doesn't worsen her depression.

If not, Librium and Tranxene are good options.

Librium is the first benzo to be invented and is SUPER long-acting. Not very potent though. A 25 mg capsule = about 0.75 mg Xanax, but you can take up to 100 mg Librium per day which is about 3 mg Xanax. Its active metabolite is desmethyldiazepam which is a partial agonist at the GABAA benzodiazepine receptor so it's not as harsh. Your pdoc may really go for that.

Tranxene is another oldie but a goodie. It's another long-acting benzo. It's more potent than Librium for sure! It's nice, very smooth as its active metabolite is the same as Librium's, desmethyldiazepam. 15 mg = 1 mg Xanax, and you can take up to 60-90 mg/day depending (4-6 mg Xanax). Do be sure to mention that Its active metabolite, desmethyldiazepam, is a partial agonist at the GABAA benzodiazepine receptor, so it's not quite as harsh. Your pdoc may really go for that...

Thanks for all that info Michael! I’m gonna give that a shot with her. 

• Like 1

One other key thing that worries me is the benzo being so strong that it negates the entire effect of the vyvanse. 

1 minute ago, looking for answers said:

if you like xanax, and its "feel" and are comfortable with your doc, i suggst 1mg Xanax XR

Thanks. Is it in any way more potent than 1mg ir? Cause 1mg is now a very minimal effect. 

Just now, DammitJanet said:

One other key thing that worries me is the benzo being so strong that it negates the entire effect of the vyvanse. 

can always try a small jump up and see what happens, can always cut back. or switch meds after trying that. May be better to dance with the devil you know

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Thanks. Is it in any way more potent than 1mg ir? Cause 1mg is now a very minimal effect. 

Xanax XR to me is far, far, far weaker.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

no, its the same, just lasts longer. I just assumed you were on 0.5mg. Id just bump up 0.5mg

1 minute ago, mikl_pls said:

see to me, it was stronger, or at least the same

Edited by looking for answers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

no, its the same, just lasts longer. I just assumed you were on 0.5mg. Id just bump up 0.5mg

Have you taken Xanax XR @looking for answers?

Just now, mikl_pls said:

Have you taken Xanax XR @looking for answers?

I have. Like I said for me. It was very effective . It was as strong or stronger than ir. And lasted very very very very long

Just now, looking for answers said:

I have. Like I said for me. It was very effective . It was as strong or stronger than ir. And lasted very very very very long

Wow. Must just be me then.

See... just took 10 of the diazepam I have leftover... and I’m still having the shallow breathing, and it indeed making it feel as though I have no stimulant in me. Sigh. 

This has GOT to be hormone related. Ordered progesterone from amazon. Maybe when I see my new gp next week I’ll ask for a lung workup. 

2 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Which of all the other benzos you mentioned would be the least sedating do you think?

i just took 10mg of left over diazepam and I’m sooooo sleepy! It’s like I didn’t take vyvanse at all. 

Thats why I like Xanax so much is it works so well without putting me to sleep. 

1 hour ago, DammitJanet said:

Which of all the other benzos you mentioned would be the least sedating do you think?

i just took 10mg of left over diazepam and I’m sooooo sleepy! It’s like I didn’t take vyvanse at all. 

Thats why I like Xanax so much is it works so well without putting me to sleep. 

Probably Librium or Tranxene since they are partial agonists of the benzodiazepine site of the GABAA receptor. That's just a guess.

7.5 mg Tranxene = 0.5 mg Xanax = 10-25 mg Librium (which are capsules so you can't split them)

So 15 mg Tranxene = 1 mg Xanax = 20-50 mg Librium.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mikl_pls said:

Probably Librium or Tranxene since they are partial agonists of the benzodiazepine site of the GABAA receptor. That's just a guess.

7.5 mg Tranxene = 0.5 mg Xanax = 10-25 mg Librium (which are capsules so you can't split them)

So 15 mg Tranxene = 1 mg Xanax = 20-50 mg Librium.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Tranxene made me comfortable but not sleepy and did not sedate me. It's long acting due to the very long half life.

On January 14, 2019 at 11:12 AM, mikl_pls said:

Wow. Must just be me then.

Not just you... I take 2 mg Xr during rough patches and still that's iffy 

Librium and Tranxene both have the same active metabolite, which is largely responsible for their pharmacological effects: nordazepam AKA nordiazepam or desmethyldiazepam.

Klonopin has treated me well for 6 years. Never gained a tolerance to the anti-anxiety or anti-panic effects, just the sedation and loopiness. 0.25mg twice a day is enough to keep my agoraphobia away. Higher doses definitely have a negative effect on my mood....but you have to find a balance. Since Klonopin has such a long half life you'll feel very stable, you won't wake up in withdrawal or anything. I have skipped doses on accident and not noticed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, l'appel du vide said:

Klonopin has treated me well for 6 years. Never gained a tolerance to the anti-anxiety or anti-panic effects, just the sedation and loopiness. 0.25mg twice a day is enough to keep my agoraphobia away. Higher doses definitely have a negative effect on my mood....but you have to find a balance. Since Klonopin has such a long half life you'll feel very stable, you won't wake up in withdrawal or anything. I have skipped doses on accident and not noticed.

Yeah I’ve been on klonopin and it was too sedating for me even at low dose I felt too drugged. For now I’ve decided to try diazepam again for a bit. Thanks for your response!