CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Ethansmom

Should I worry about diabetes with seroquel?

I have this as an add on option for bad anxiety and lack of sleep. I am worried about starting it and developing diabetes. Does anyone have experience with this med? Do you get regular blood tests?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

I have this as an add on option for bad anxiety and lack of sleep. I am worried about starting it and developing diabetes. Does anyone have experience with this med? Do you get regular blood tests?

u should be ok, no blood tests. just give it a try, your anxiety is getting the best of you

• Like 1

When I was on it, I used to get my cholesterol and blood sugar checked approximately every 6 months.  If you are on it, you should be getting bloodwork to check your cholesterol and blood sugar.

I was on it for about four years and didn't get diabetes.  I did gain weight.

The best way to not get diabetes is to exercise, eat healthy, and keep an eye on things.  If there are issues with your blood sugar you can always stop the medication and if you are being monitored appropriately, you'll catch it early.

• Like 1

My experience was the same as tryp - monitoring every six months to be safe.  I was on for a shorter period of time - about 2 years - and at a much higher dose than you'd be taking. 

Thanks guys. I just took 50mg extended release. My psychiatrist said I would need blood tests every six months, so it seems like that’s common. Fingers crossed for a restful calm night! I will report back after my psy appt tomorrow.

I was on 900mg Seroquel for a couple years and then took 100mg for sleep for several years after switching to another AP.  I never came close to developing diabetes. 

Your dose is so low that it shouldn't ever even lead to that. 

Enjoy your sleep, I wish I still had some for that purpose.  

16 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

I know there is a chance to develop diabetes. But I’m not sure how common that is. But I have taken seroquel IR and seroquel XR for over ten years and I have not gotten diabetic. I have been taking it for SZA for psychosis and mood, so my dose is higher. I’ve taken anywhere from 200 mg - 800 mg. Currently sitting at 600 mg.

Seroquel is a good med IME. I hope it helps you like it helps me. 

Thank you, All! I had a great night's sleep last night and feel very good this morning. Not sure if it's psychological. I'm going to let my fears go for now and enjoy how I feel. I appreciate everyone's imput :)

The risk arises from a common side effect - over eating. Many antipsychotics make you crave sugary foods, make you retain weight and even make you appear more bloated to kick things off. Just control your diet and you'll be fine :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Simba Cub said:

The risk arises from a common side effect - over eating. Many antipsychotics make you crave sugary foods, make you retain weight and even make you appear more bloated to kick things off. Just control your diet and you'll be fine :)

Thank you. I hope i can control my weight with this med!  I will try to lay off the sugar and substitute for healthier foods overall. I guess a cookie once in a while isn't going to hurt me. Has anyone here actually lost weight on this med? just curious?

1 hour ago, Ethansmom said:

Has anyone here actually lost weight on this med? just curious?

I've never seen anyone here say they've actually lost weight on it, but I have seen some people who've said they maintained their weight while taking Seroquel.....So not everyone gains on it.

Maintaining the weight would be fine with me, as long as i feel better! And i must say that i do feel a bit less anxious after only taking it for two days. I hope to see this improve.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:45 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

I've never seen anyone here say they've actually lost weight on it, but I have seen some people who've said they maintained their weight while taking Seroquel.....So not everyone gains on it.

ive lost weight on it. Purposeful, through diet and excercise. not unintentional weight lost. i am into bodybuilding and manipulate my weight up and down often

ive also been on seroquel over a year now, no one has tested anything for me or mentioned blood work

Edited by looking for answers

On 1/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ethansmom said:

Maintaining the weight would be fine with me, as long as i feel better! And i must say that i do feel a bit less anxious after only taking it for two days. I hope to see this improve.

I was on the regular seroquel IR and then I switched to the seroquel XR and I llost 30 lbs. I’m slowly losing a pound here and there. It’s not easy but it’s definitely doable. And I don’t watch what I eat (bad, I know). But I do exercise a few ties a week with my mom. So that probably helps. 

You can do this! Seroquel XR is an amazing med for me! I hope it is the same for you! Sounds like it is helping already! Wonderful! I know you have been struggling for a long time. 

Thank you all! I’m about to take it again tonight. Yes I’ve been struggling for years . I thought about asking for gabapentin to be calm as well , but the doctor tries to use the least amount of meds. I rather feel calm and dopey than anxious with obsessive thoughts . I can deal with the dopiness with a cup of coffee. 

I recently started taking Seroquel XR about 3 months ago. At lower doses, like 200-250 mg, I was tired and I gained roughly 10 pounds. About a month ago we increased to 400 mg, and I was less fatigued and dropped 10-12 pounds. My appetite returned to normal, and I wasn't craving sugar or carbs. My doctor said this is actually quite common at higher doses, sort of paradoxical. 

A couple days ago we increased the dose again to 600 mg to try to squash some mixed depression and hypomania. I haven't noticed a difference in terms of side effects except for slight increase in dry mouth and a little bit of postural hypotension. 

My doctor said in her experience, Seroquel causes less metabolic side effects than more potent drugs like Zyprexa. Still, caution is required, but it is dose-dependent. Lower doses of Seroquel will likely not affect lipids and blood sugar the way higher doses might. In order to thwart possible metabolic syndrome, I take high-potency fish oil every AM for the omega-3's which are known to help lower cholesterol and protect against insulin resistance, as well as green tea extract for the EGCG, which is also known to protect against insulin resistance and diabetes. I have heard of people recommending chromium and ALA (lipoid acid) for the same purposes, but my lipid panel is well within normal limits, so taking anything extra would just be overkill. Hope this helps!

Edit: in the worst case scenario, doctors have prescribed metformin for prophylaxis against/treatment of pre-diabetes. Topamax is another common drug, but I think it is used more for counteracting the weight gain that can occur from taking atypical antipsychotics. Wellbutrin has the same effect. So there are definitely options if the drug is working very well for you but you encounter cardiometabolic problems down the line.

Edited by mjs190

Yeah I may have to do something like increase the dose. I had a very long panic attack and had to take a rescue Xanax on top of the klonopin I already take. I’m scared my anxiety will never go way. Should I considering adding an anticonvulsant on top of that? Like gabapentin?

21 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

Yeah I may have to do something like increase the dose. I had a very long panic attack and had to take a rescue Xanax on top of the klonopin I already take. I’m scared my anxiety will never go way. Should I considering adding an anticonvulsant on top of that? Like gabapentin?

Gabapentin can work...it was hard to tell for me cuz I was on other stuff for anxiety too. I think you definetly should talk to your doc since you're already needing two benzos 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 7:33 PM, Ethansmom said:

Seroquel along with many other AAPs can have diabetogenic effects. However, this can greatly depend on how strong of an anticholinergic the drug is. Zyprexa is most well-known for causing type 2 diabetes because it is such a potent anticholinergic. Seroquel has similar effects, but it isn't nearly as potent.

I woke up feeling anxious and shaky this morning. I had to take klonopin right away. Is it possible the seroquel is causing it??? Does it initially cause a jittery feeling. I also had restless legs last night. I kept feeling like i needed to stretch my entire body. Too be honest though, i also felt like that on trazadone.