CrazyBoards.org

Hi CS baby, good to see you! Sorry you're itchy!

I've had some atopic...skin condition...gah, forgot the word...for years and years. I got it in high school, and only steroid cream helps. Now now, I know steroids aren't good for you, but one very very thin application gets rid of the itch instantly, and it doesn't come back for months at a time. I've literally had one tube of the stuff for like 10 years, so no damage there.

Wha? You didn't want to hear about my medical condition? Oh. Naw, what I'm trying to say is maybe that's what you have. I have found that when it gets bad, only the steroid cream helps, but keeping your legs moisturized does keep it from getting really bad. It isn't dry skin per se, but dryness does exacerbate it.

xo

lily

I'm sorry ... itching just bites.

For immediate if not lasting relief, ice it.

I like products with camphor (Noxzema, Gold Bond) for the numbing effect.

Check the label of the lotion for parabens; they bother some people, and they are common even in gentle lotions like Cetaphil.

To the extent possible, rub or pat rather than scratch, so it won't get infected.

feel better,

sg

Yeah, over the counter cortisone cream does work, but u aren't supposed to use it too often.  I have had itchy leg sydrome as long as I can remember. 

Baths with baby oil help a little.  Don't let your skin get too dry, use a good razor, only shave in the tub after your legs get a good soak, use sensitive skin shaving cream.

Sometimes I stratch my legs to bits. ;)

Hey CS,

For about a month this winter, I was spontaneously breaking out in patches of hives for no particular reason. I think its from a combination of stress, and the funny weather we've had this year.

Anyway, I switched my shower gel to Aveeno (the itchy skin, fragrance free kind), and slathered on gold bond medicated lotion...and it did help.

If nothing else helps, you might try taking benadryl. It should stop with the itching.

I have an itchy rash on the back of my legs, and it is making me nuts! ;)
That it's on the BACK of your legs is disturbing. Well, to me. My first reaction, don't gross out, was scabes. A skin mite. I got them in high school while I was IN THE HOSPITAL, thank you very much. Having surgery. But they nested in my upper thighs, and I can't remember wher else, but that was an itch that literally drove me mad. I think my abdomen. I'm sure my lower legs weren't involved, but I believe they go for certain areas, like other parasites. (Like boyfriends for your wallet, ya know?) Sorry, couldn't resist--no disrespect to the fine men among us!

Have you been in a health treatment center or crowded public place lately? My other thought was, have you been wearing any new hosiery? If you already use hypo-allergenic products, that sounds like you already have a known sensitivity to whatever.

The end of April is too long. What about family physician?

S9

Hi CS, yeah the itching sucks. You can't be sure until you get to the doctor though. I'd go to the gp first. April is waaaaaay too long to wait.

Seems weird rashes are popping up this month. I had one around my ears last week. Turned out to be a slight allergic reaction to a new cleaning product I used. And my mom currently has a weird heat rash around her waist. OTC hydrocortisone cream has helped both. Aveno products kick ass.

And just to let you know, even free of fragrance or dyes, Tide is one of the harshest detergents out there. I'd switch.

Croix

Hi CS:

What about taking something internally - like a benedryl pill?

i know, another pill. let me explain - mosquitoes love me. they think they are married to me. and whenever i get a bite, i swell up in that area. take a benedryl and everything gets better.

kind of makes me sleepy - thats the only drawback.

maybe this itchiness is a systemic kind of allergy making its presence known via the rash or hives you have now.

i hope itchy goes away soon!!!

Love,

december

I have an itchy rash on the back of my legs, and it is making me nuts! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aside from atopic dermatitis, scabies, etc. here's another "oh gawd!" possibility - a developing skin 

abcess, or infected cut somewhere.

Had one on my back (not as sexy as 'Zon's boob, but there ya go) that finally started leaking its

toxins to the bloodstream.  It turns out that I am just as obnoxiously allergic to staph as I am to

strep.  Picture an itchy red rash across the front and sides of the neck that barely responds to

benadryl gel and results in the top layer of skin coming off just like a really bad sunburn.  Nowhere

near the actual infection - just an idiosyncratic allergic reaction.

From medicinenet, regarding avoiding infected hair follicles: "When the hair follicles on the

back of the arms or around the thighs are continually inflamed, regular use of an abrasive brush

(loufa brush) in the shower can be used break up oil plugs and build up around hair follicles."

toxins to the bloodstream.  It turns out that I am just as obnoxiously allergic to staph as I am to

strep.

Shit, I didn't even think about strep, dh had that when he was getting chemo, understandably vulnerable to everything with immune system destroyed by carboplatin.

But that's nothing to fuck around with. I'm sure there's a full assortment of infections even within the Strep family. His started innocently enough with a nic from a home improvement project. In 24 hours he was a sick puppy with a red line running up his arm--which was the dead give away. But, again, he was already terminally ill AND getting chemo...so bad comparison to a fully healthy beautiful whole life in front of her don't let us freak you out freaked out crazy soprano.

Oh NCC? S.O.S.! Stinky? Anybody with any medical expertise?

Really CS, get it checked. Now NT has me freaking out. Do this for all your aunties and uncles who love you and want to hear you sing one day.  ;)

S9

Aveeno hasn't helped.  I got a camphor & menthol lotion from my work, and it hasn't helped.  I got RX hydrocortizone cream (2.5%) and another RX cream from my GP, and neither has helped.  I'm going to see my dad's dermatologist when I go home to Michigan.

Thanks for all your responses!

~CS

I don't think I'm going to die.  GP says it's not Stevens-Johnson, and was surprised that I knew what that was.  Not that I thought it was Stevens-Johnson.  But we were talking about how I could get in to see a dermo before late April, and she said they usually only took skin-care emergencies, so I said "And it's not like I have melanoma or Stevens-Johnson or something."  She was like "Are you in med school?"  I said, "No, music school."

*sigh* Everything I know I learned from CrazyBoards.

Don't worry, you guys.  I already have an appointment with my dad's dermo.

;) CS

Could be contact/allergic dermatitis from a chair you sat in that had a cloth seat maybe?

You'd be amazed what they spray those things with.

Could also be (You're going to kill me for this.) flea bites.

Cellulitis from being rubbed by your pants?

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Try to find something with lidocaine in it.

It won't stop it itching, but it'll numb it so it might be a bit more bearable.

Edited to add: ITCHY ITCHY ITCHY is the kind of topic name you click on with a slight sense of dread. ;)

Hey Itchy Brother: ( remember him? cartoon character? )

Anyway, when I was in high school ( *cough cough*) I had a rash that was all over my face. It came suddenly, stayed about a month and left. It was blamed on "nerves" in the olden days. In other words: I had this anxiety disorder in high school, no one did anything about it then, and I am sure my skin reacted to stress.

I never had zits. Ever. Just this wild "Break out". Are you stressed about something? Got an upcoming concert? Try out? Is that other evil soprano we all hate bothering you again?

What I am getting at is, maybe it's your anxiety with a new face. :) Wouldn't that be fun? How about some exercise or some meditation? This can help with the stress of school and maybe that will help the itchy parts to go away.

I am sorry btw - I HATE stuff like that. Mosquito's love me.    ;)

Breeze

CS,

Is it a spotty rash?  or a raised red itchy area?  Is it behind your knees?  Or spread out on the back of your legs?  I usually see this in the summer, but could it be a yeast infection?  Where it's moist and warm where your knees bend?  Just a thought...

Archived