CrazyBoards.org

Is anyone here in recovery from DXM abuse/addiction?  Or currently struggling with it?  I used to abuse it pretty heavily from about 2012 to 2014 as a very misguided way to cope with my PTSD (and then addiction took on a life of it’s own and the DXM use was a completely separate thing from the PTSD). I haven’t touched it at all since April 2015 (and used maybe only 4-5 times between Oct 2014 and April 2015.).

I find myself having occasional cravings for it (which have increased recently because my PTSD Sx are worse).  But also the thought of doing it again triggers such a visceral response of nausea and stomach pain— I can fucking taste it (even though I typically did the pill form— those still have a “taste” too) and feel the intense cramps it caused me.  I have no actual plan or inclination to do it again.  It’s weird because I’ve told so few people in my life that I used to struggle with it.  My husband knows (I was using when we started dating and he didn’t know at the time until I told him after I stopped), a former friend knows, a former therapist and a former pdoc know, and I just told my current therapist who I’ve been seeing for almost a year.  My parents never knew.  None of my friends know.  My current pdoc who I’ve seen for 3 years doesn’t know.  It’s just something that I’ve never felt really validated in being able to talk about, like it doesn’t “count” as a real addiction because it’s “juvenile” and “over the counter” and not a “real drug” (I know these things aren’t true, hence the quotes.).  But people talk openly about being a recovering alcoholic or a recovering opiate addict.   It’s extremely uncommon to here someone say “I’m a recovering DXM addict.”  Most people would be like, “Uhh, what’s DXM?”  I’m embarrassed to call myself a recovering addict (not because of the “addict” label but because I feel somehow it doesn’t “count” as a legitimate addiction even though it’s just as damaging as any street drug, alcohol, or scheduled pharmaceutical).  But I am an addict.  I guess I’ve never really typed/said that before.  

Anyhoo, I guess I’m just wondering if anyone has been here/there and can relate?  Hopefully we can support each other.

Yes I was addicted to Nyquil Dextromethorphan (NMDA Antagonist) and Doxylamine (Antihistamine and Anticholinergic). 

I was addicted to DXM a few years ago. I got counseling for it and believe me, the counselor took it seriously. There's even an episode of Intervention about it (if you watch that show). I think it was one of the early seasons and the addicts name was Ben. What helped me to quit is that I had to remind myself daily that doing it gave me horrible mood swings and angry outbursts. 

That’s funny that this thread has been revived.  I haven’t been on here in a long time, just lurk from time to time.

I’m doing a lot better in my recovery, still sober from DXM, no urges.   I’ve even quit smoking weed (It was medical but still) and am tapering off my benzo.  Boston girl, definitely what helped me was reminding myself all the stuff about it that was miserable... which was more than what was positive.  Yeah I saw that episode of Intervention.  I love that show.