CrazyBoards.org

Hello everyone. Someone take their regular Seroquel (quetiapine) in the daytime or morning? Does sedative effect disappear over time? 

I'm on 600mg at night, but pdoc say i could split the dose 200mg morning and 400 at night, but i don't like the letargy feeling when I take dose in the morning/day.

There is one small trial which suggest that regular quetiapine can be taken once daily at bedtime. ( much like Seroquel XR), but I'm wondering if it cover  bipolar symptoms all day.

http://ww1.cpa-apc.org/Publications/Archives/CJP/2003/april/chengappa.pdf

When i was on the IR version I took 300mg in the morning and 500mg at night. In retrospect I was definitely more tired during the day. I only noticed it when I switched to the XR version. I am now on 800mg XR at night and don't feel tired during the day unless I take it too late the night before. I have to take it 12 hours before I have to get up and then I am fine

22 minutes ago, centaurus said:

Hello everyone. Someone take their regular Seroquel (quetiapine) in the daytime or morning? Does sedative effect disappear over time? 

I'm on 600mg at night, but pdoc say i could split the dose 200mg morning and 400 at night, but i don't like the letargy feeling when I take dose in the morning/day.

There is one small trial which suggest that regular quetiapine can be taken once daily at bedtime. ( much like Seroquel XR), but I'm wondering if it cover  bipolar symptoms all day.

What about starting with a smaller split: 100 am and 500 pm? Also is there a reason you don't do the XR? 

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

What about starting with a smaller split: 100 am and 500 pm? Also is there a reason you don't do the XR? 

Generic quetiapine XR not available in my country. Orginal Seroquel XR is too costly.

I think that 100mg would be equal sedating as 200mg?

Edited by centaurus

would ur doc be comfortable starting it all at night and waiting, and then if there's issues split some to the am? 

13 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

would ur doc be comfortable starting it all at night and waiting, and then if there's issues split some to the am? 

Orginally I'm prescribed 600mg at night, but I feel that it doesn't cover my symptoms  all day long.

Edited by centaurus

I would say that for me the sedation did somewhat fade (I took 400 ir pm and 400 Xr am). What specific symptoms are bothering you? 

mostly irritability, some  anxiety

I see you're taking clozapine in the am, that doesn't sedate you? 

Edited by centaurus

It can...a little. But it's a small amount in the am. Also I've been on it for 3 years now and the sedation has gradually faded...I used to pass out an hour after the pm dose and now I only get mild/moderatly tired. I also have adderall if I need it. Also, this is my "maintaince" dose....meaning the lowest possible dose that keeps me stable, which keeps the am dose low enough to not cause significant issues.if symptoms start to show up strong we try to up the pm dose first, so the am dose remains small unless I'm really in trouble...when that happens there is a major risk of going to zombie land  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, centaurus said:

I have been on varying dose of regular seroquel for many many years. 200 mg AM, 200 mg afternoon, 400 mg bedtime. I was sedated so much. But I got a little used to it. But not enough. 

I really love seroquel XR. It lasts all day. I still sleep all night. I have lost weight. It still helps with everything that the regular seroquel helped with. I’m very mad that this XR version is unobtainable to you due to cost. That is so wrong. But I’ve been there with other meds, so I understand. It’s not fair. :(

I now also take a clozapine AM dose. It doesn’t make me tired. But as always people’s mileage may vary. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I have been on varying dose of regular seroquel for many many years. 200 mg AM, 200 mg afternoon, 400 mg bedtime. I was sedated so much. But I got a little used to it. But not enough. 

I really love seroquel XR. It lasts all day. I still sleep all night. I have lost weight. It still helps with everything that the regular seroquel helped with. I’m very mad that this XR version is unobtainable to you due to cost. That is so wrong. But I’ve been there with other meds, so I understand. It’s not fair. :(

I now also take a clozapine AM dose. It doesn’t make me tired. But as always people’s mileage may vary. 

Cheese I forgot what's ur am dose? 

I take 200-250mg seroquel at night. It doesn't knock me out like it does for some... but it does help me sleep and stay asleep.

Twice in the last month or so I've accidentally taken bedtime meds instead of morning meds. Seroquel was definitely sedating, but I found it mostly eased after a few hours. I did drink a lot of caffeine though, in order to keep functioning (it had limited success).

13 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Cheese I forgot what's ur am dose? 

Of clozapine? 50 mg. 

If you mean seroquel XR I take it all at bedtime 600 mg. 

I take 50mg of seroquel crap a few hours before bed . I’m using it as an add on to my Effexor 225mg and with klonopin 2mg daily. It’s helping a bit. Do you guys think I should give it more time. Or go up more? It’s been two weeks . I still have the ruminating anxiety thoughts... not so much extreme panic anymore which is good. But, I’m still scared to give up klonopin, so obviously I’m still anxious! I’m wondering if I should switch something in my cocktail ?

22 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

I take 50mg of seroquel crap a few hours before bed . I’m using it as an add on to my Effexor 225mg and with klonopin 2mg daily. It’s helping a bit. Do you guys think I should give it more time. Or go up more? It’s been two weeks . I still have the ruminating anxiety thoughts... not so much extreme panic anymore which is good. But, I’m still scared to give up klonopin, so obviously I’m still anxious! I’m wondering if I should switch something in my cocktail ?

Seroquel can take up to  4 weeks to really work.

50mg is small dose,basically a antihistamine helping with sleep only

While Seroquel XR is meant to be taken once daily at bedtime, regular instant-release Seroquel its typically prescribed to be taken twice a day, morning and night. The doses are interchangeable. If your total daily dose is 600 mg of regular Seroquel (200 mg AM and 400 mg PM, for example), then your dose of Seroquel XR would also be 600, but taken once daily before bed.

For me, XR is no where near as sedating as the instant-release Seroquel. It works a lot better for me, and reliably covers my symptoms around the clock.

And you are right, there was a study done in people with bipolar disorder, specifically with depressive episodes, that suggests regular instant-release Seroquel can be taken all at once at bed time and still be as effective as the XR. I would imagine that stands true for other uses of Seroquel, but I'm not a professional.

Thank you. I may need to go up the seroquel just worried about weight gain. It’s not really increasing my appetite but is making me a bit bloated and gassy. Hopefully that will resolve with a good diet and excercise.