CrazyBoards.org

ElectricFeel

Don't know how to study after gaslighting

Hi

I was in an abusive relationship for two years and a half, he stalked me for six months after that. The whole thing was horrible from the start, those three years seem like a fuzzy nightmare. I've been recovering since last year, I took a year off.

Now I'm retaking the same classes. I remember some subjects, those of before 2016. From others I don't recall a thing, even though when I look through my notes there are things highlighted and everything.

And I don't know how to study. Looking through my notes I realize I made driagams and I was able to simplify the texts, but now I can't. I just...copy the whole damn thing, and that's too much. Maybe if I studied something scientific it'd be easier to do it like that, but I can't study literature that way. I can't seem to be able to retain the information like I did before.

Does anybody have any tips? 

Sorry for my English.

Are there any study groups you can join? If you start by studying in a group, you can learn techniques that you can use when you study alone.

Does your university have an introduction to university life where they give tips on how to study?

Can you deduce any study methods by looking over your earlier notes? I mean, not looking for content but looking for how the notes were constructed?

Finally, as a variation on the group study, I would recommend making a friend in class and study together. That way it's just you two and you can pick up on study techniques.

That's all I have at the moment. Hope this helps somewhat.

• Like 2

Hi, sorry for taking so long in answering.
I'm just trying to spend more time than I did before checking my notes and everything. My memory seems to be improving little by little. Thinking of studying with more people or outside my home gives me anxiety lol I'm trying to make the notes more simplified each time, but it's still more difficult than it was before. I hope it's working anyway. I have exams in may. Let's pray I pass!

I don't have any practical advice other than it seems understandable that during a time of huge stress it wouldn't be information your brain would prioritise, and that you might struggle now to digest study material. Maybe try doing small chunks broken up by lots of breaks?

21 hours ago, ananke said:

I don't have any practical advice other than it seems understandable that during a time of huge stress it wouldn't be information your brain would prioritise, and that you might struggle now to digest study material. Maybe try doing small chunks broken up by lots of breaks?

I fully agree with this. Any kind of mental and emotional stress takes a huge toll on learning, memory and cognition. Your brain just gets overloaded (I know because this happens to me A LOT!) I think the best thing to do is try to minimize any stressors and relax before trying to push yourself in learning. Don't criticize yourself for having to go slower, and break every task up into super small bites.

I've been told to write a daily schedule (literally breaking down each hour of the day) Pencil in all of your breaks, lunch, a daily walk, schedule some sort of "reward" etc. Start small and once you get into the flow you can build from there. Easier said than done though IME.