CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar disorder and stress

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what helps them deal with stress? 

I feel like stress amplifies my disorder. 

It could be that my plate is just full. I am a full time student in a graduate program for clinical mental health counseling. I also work full time (40hrs a week) and also have recently begun counseling.

It just seems like lately, I am lashing out at everyone and everything. And I know it’s stress  Comorbid with my disorder. I went up on my latuda at the beginning of December kind of in preparation for this, and it helps but I feel like it’s barely keeping the Breakdown box closed at this point.

Any suggestions and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

7 hours ago, de414 said:

It could be that my plate is just full. I am a full time student in a graduate program for clinical mental health counseling. I also work full time (40hrs a week) and also have recently begun counseling.

It just seems like lately, I am lashing out at everyone and everything. And I know it’s stress  Comorbid with my disorder. I went up on my latuda at the beginning of December kind of in preparation for this, and it helps but I feel like it’s barely keeping the Breakdown box closed at this point.

i think with all stress its learning coping techniques. Are you in therapy? perhaps they can help with that. CBT techniques help. My "f" it mentality has helped me, although thats not for all

• Like 1

14 hours ago, de414 said:

For me it's all about finding the best work/downtime balance. I find I actually get more stressed if I have too much downtime because there is nothing stopping the stress playing with my head. I am still guilty of getting a bit to complacent and sleeping (and staying in). on off days, which seems relaxing but I almost always later regret. At the same time, for me it's also about knowing my limits and really working hard to remind myself that when I have to give something up for my sanity it is not a failure.... Ex  I had to take a medical leave after freshman fall semester, and then took a lighter course load for several semesters after That...letting myself see that as a weakness only led to bad things 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

YES! (Sorry I'm talking way too loud today)

But not really. I feel like stress is an antidepressant. This year I missed my regularly scheduled February depression and I think I'm getting my clearest winter hypomania in five years, and during autumn at that. 

Note to self: no more coffee for months, duderino. I'm being able to hold on to the thread with the help of my wife who helps me get regular sleep and tells me about signs. So I was having a flareup, it calmed down with extra klonopin and extra sleep but now with some workplace stress and a venti americano from starbucks... I feel like I have an aura, at least around my face, that's entertaining and interesting in and of itself independently of me. Like I'm looking at the space around me in my desk and going "whoa, this is a cool spaceship". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My job is constantly stressful, and cope mostly with joking and laughing. I watch only comedy when watching tv.

I meditate, read, try to sleep early. But I find its mostly about acceptance. At the beginning I was always working to catch the carrot hanging in front of me, but it just seemed to dangle into position again. A colleague of mine said it well: "Ask yourself at the end of the day: did I do what I could with the time today?" Then feel proud and go home and rest.

But I mean, with your situation its not strange that you feel stressed. Full time study, full time job. That's living 200%. On top of that you have GAD and Bipolar disorder which in itself is, give or take, a full time project. Cut down where you can! you are having a life at 300% pace! 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 9:21 AM, chakra said:

A colleague of mine said it well: "Ask yourself at the end of the day: did I do what I could with the time today?" Then feel proud and go home and rest.

Kipling said it best

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds worth of distance run

Then, yours is the World and everything in it

and, which is more, you'll be a Man, my son!

(an uppercase Man means "human", but in a less animalistic sense.)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Categorize the way you spend your free time.

Sometimes numbing activities are needed. For me this means video games, I think running does this for some people.
Sometimes it's relaxing stuff. For me this means yoga and meditation.
Sometimes it's stuff that lets your sprit soar. For me this is music, bad dancing, and art.

I do think numbing is necessary sometimes, but if you do it all the time it's not healthy.
Sometimes you won't have energy for some of the stuff, or you'll be so exhausted you'll forget it's an option. So it's good to have an actual list written down in a notebook.

• Like 1