CrazyBoards.org

Study Links Ambien Use to Unconscious Food Forays

yeah, i used to wake up in the AM and find an empty fridge and a very messy kitchen.  i also once bit a boyfriend and said "oh, i'm sorry, i thought you were a blue berry muffin." 

i've known a few people who have gained quite a bit of weight on ambien.

i just think it's evil b/c i don't actually sleep on it, i just do insane shit while hallucinating, and then don't remember any of it the next day.  bad news bears.

The doctor from the Mayo Clinic wrote the paper based on five case studies over an 11 month period.

Here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

And Dr. Carlos Schneck, who heads up the other study [which involves a whole 32 people who have sleep eating disorders and also use Ambien] estimates that ''thousands of Ambien users in the United States experience sleep-related eating disorders while taking the drug."

Based on what?

There are certain to be more complaints and more info on this specific medication right now regardless of whether its side effects are more distruptive or not  simply because it is one of the most widely use hypnotic.

While they did offer a differing explanation- sort of- it was weak, vague, and from a questionable source.

Just please note the amount of spin that is often in these stories and check the sources.  A lot of people are getting really upset over things that are very unlikely to occur. If you are going to choose treatment like that, there will be no options.

It's best to find out the accuracy of the statements for yourself.

There may be a link, but I don't see a reasonable article here.

i just think it's evil b/c i don't actually sleep on it, i just do insane shit while hallucinating, and then don't remember any of it the next day.  bad news bears.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

same thing happens with me... 

The doctor from the Mayo Clinic wrote the paper based on five case studies over an 11 month period.

Here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

And Dr. Carlos Schneck, who heads up the other study [which involves a whole 32 people who have sleep eating disorders and also use Ambien] estimates that ''thousands of Ambien users in the United States experience sleep-related eating disorders while taking the drug."

Based on what?

There are certain to be more complaints and more info on this specific medication right now regardless of whether its side effects are more distruptive or not

I haven't had unconscious food forays but I've definitely had memory loss, not to mention the addiction. It may not be a physiological addiction, but I'm totally hooked emotionally. I can't imagine life without ambien, which has never been a good sign in my experience...

That's odd, I've noticed the same on anything that's GABA-activating (zolpidem a year ago, but more frequently gabapentin or clonazepam these days).  I've got the propensity to eat like all hell between the hours of 10 PM and 5 AM.  Between 10PM-12AM it's definitely conscious (as I'm still awake and not too zonked from the meds), but I've occasionally awakened and eaten closer to 5 AM, only later the next morning to have recalled fragments of the event and note discrepancies in my kitchen.

Fortunately (at least for me), I think my circadian clock plays a part in this - Any food I eat in what we call the 'morning' (5AM - 12PM) wreaks havoc on my stomach; I have no appetite then and always fast.  I've never eaten 'breakfast' at a conventional time the past seven years (at most my morning meal's been a protein shake or small energy bar).  I'm 'DSPS' anyways - I'd rather go to bed after 4 AM and wake up around noon.  I think my body's just trying to compensate for the missing third meal (sometimes my stomach's so sleepy that I also can't take meal #2, aka lunch!!).

Somehow, somewhere, I hear the world's smallest violin playing for me.

My son became psychotic on ambien (ages 14-15).  That is, it triggered it. Did NOT  go away when the ambien was discontinued. Keep meaning to write the company.  Should be in their database.

It's a strange drug. Mostly it's worked great for me (have been taking it regularly since it came out almost 10 years ago). 

Archived