CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Ion

Trying Light Therapy

I've considered light therapy on and off for years, but never tried it until now.

My depression doesn't have a seasonal pattern, but a few months ago I accidentally sleep deprived myself and I noticed that that helped some of my symptoms. When I read various papers on sleep deprivation therapy, one of the things I found was that it predicted a better response to light therapy and I decided it was worth a try.

I'm 3 days in now. I think that getting myself to do it every day may be a challenge. I'm starting with 15 minutes a day

I've been at 30 minutes/day for a month and here's what I've found:

The effects have mostly been on my sleep. Before I was sleeping 9-10 hours/night and I found it really hard to wake up in the morning. With the light therapy I'm sleeping 7-8 hours and I frequently wake up before my alarm goes off. The effects increased over the first few days and I think I reached the maximum effectiveness for me within a week. I didn't see any significant change in mood.

Thanks for reporting back :)

Light therapy I found made me pretty anxious, but it's a nice low side effect intervention for people it works for.