CrazyBoards.org

Anabolic

Lamictal failed...Zyprexa failing...Need support/recommendations?

7 minutes ago, Anabolic said:

Thank you so much for the response and the article! Going to read it now, thank you again

No prob. If you want more details on the pharmacology of it all..most of it goes over my head...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4602118/

These two key points are probably the most relevant to you in terms of dopamine modulation

"

Depending on endogenous dopamine levels and signaling status, aripiprazole may act as a full antagonist, a moderate antagonist, or a partial agonist at dopamine D2 receptors (D2Rs), consistent with purported biased ligand pharmacology.

The efficacy of aripiprazole can be mainly attributed to this combination of partial agonism/antagonism at D2Rs and serotonin 5-HT1A receptors, together with antagonism at serotonin 5-HT2A receptors.

"

Just a little update,

Abilify failed at 2mg, same sides only way worse titrating it... 5mg was a complete disaster...complete loss of appetite, stiff rigid muscles, extreme fatigue, severe depression, felt as if my body was shutting down.

Currently on 1mg Abilify and another AP 20mg starts with an L about to be generic soon (I'm slightly paranoid still). Just wish this shit would end, don't wish it upon anyone.

Oh and my Psychiatrist dropped me said "I can't treat you anymore and you're not stable, this isn't my expertise" I was shocked and devastated at the same time after being a patient their for over 3 years...Got super lucky and found a new Pdoc though so that was great! This one seems like she really cares, I could sense the compassion. So thats my update.  

5 hours ago, Anabolic said:

Just a little update,

Abilify failed at 2mg, same sides only way worse titrating it... 5mg was a complete disaster...complete loss of appetite, stiff rigid muscles, extreme fatigue, severe depression, felt as if my body was shutting down.

Currently on 1mg Abilify and another AP 20mg starts with an L about to be generic soon (I'm slightly paranoid still). Just wish this shit would end, don't wish it upon anyone.

Oh and my Psychiatrist dropped me said "I can't treat you anymore and you're not stable, this isn't my expertise" I was shocked and devastated at the same time after being a patient their for over 3 years...Got super lucky and found a new Pdoc though so that was great! This one seems like she really cares, I could sense the compassion. So thats my update.  

A psychiatrist who doesn’t treat psychiatric disorders?? That’s a new one. Glad you found something else. I think your thinking of 20 mg latuda- it’s a good med definetly worth a shot 

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

A psychiatrist who doesn’t treat psychiatric disorders?? That’s a new one. Glad you found something else. I think your thinking of 20 mg latuda- it’s a good med definetly worth a shot 

A very expensive med, I used that manufacturer CoPay card I found on their website and it knocked the full $600 off after insurance! 

She's a Psychiatrist with over 30+ years experience and after my 9 day hospital trip back in October it was never the same, burned through 4 or 5 meds in 5 months or so and then she refused to prescribe me anything else... Basically told me she could no longer treat me and was dropping me as a patient. Plenty of drugs left to try basically I was a "liability"....that's right a liability. She even told me I could just completely stop the Abilify or do whatever I wanted with it. I kid you not, this shit happened! I was just shocked almost speechless, who the fuck does that to their patient?

Late update but Latuda was a sad fail...Really sucks and frustrating, made it almost a week then felt like smashing my head into a plate, then the suicidal thoughts came...I cut it immediately after that. So now did the Gene Sight DNA test, should have results soon. New pdoc won't prescribe anything else until results are in. On 1mg of Abilify still makes me feel terrible, even worse at higher doses and completely 100% unstable maniac when I cut it for 4-5 days... had to know how id feel as my Thyroid is almost shutdown from this fucking shit. Have a feeling the withdrawal for Abilify is going to really suck...muscles in my arms have been spasming for the last 10 days just from cutting then restarting it.    

Posted (edited)

Is there any chance you could try Lamictal again, but slowly titrate up to a higher dose? 50mg per day is a very sub-therapeutic dose (usually the range is 100-300mg) I just upped my dosage after 2 years, because 100mg was no longer cutting it, maybe due to tolerance.

The titration is indeed difficult, each dose can effect you differently. But you must give it a good 2 weeks on each dose to assess if it will work for you. Just a thought as it seemed to work really well for you for 4 years, and the A/Ps, etc cause many negative effects.

Maybe another thing to look into is the supplement NAC: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nac-benefits#section3  It's a super anti-oxidant proven to regulate/lower levels of Glutamate in the brain (same/similar action to Lamictal). There have been a lot of studies on it helping numerous mental health conditions & initially was used in hospitals to help clear acetaminophen (from overdose) from liver (sorry no time to locate all the clinical studies ).

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

I'd second the NAC idea. It's the only supplement i've ever taken that had a tangible and measurable difference.

Is low dose lithium an option?

https://psycheducation.org/treatment/mood-stabilizers/the-big-three-for-bipolar-depression/lithium/#How_much_is_enough_low-dose_lithium

"

How much is enough?  — “low-dose lithium”

Low doses can often be of benefit for depression, either bipolar or plain depression. Lithium treats the entire Mood Spectrum.  In very low doses it can still be useful as an “adjunct”, and add-on to another mood stabilizer or an antidepressant. You don’t have to reach “therapeutic blood levels”! (Those were developed for prevention of mania in Bipolar I).

A simple blood test can show exactly how much of the medication is in the blood. When you are first starting this medication there may be several such tests done, because high levels of lithium can be dangerous and your prescriber will be working to make sure you will not get that high a level in your bloodstream.

"

17 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Is there any chance you could try Lamictal again, but slowly titrate up to a higher dose? 50mg per day is a very sub-therapeutic dose (usually the range is 100-300mg) I just upped my dosage after 2 years, because 100mg was no longer cutting it, maybe due to tolerance.

The titration is indeed difficult, each dose can effect you differently. But you must give it a good 2 weeks on each dose to assess if it will work for you. Just a thought as it seemed to work really well for you for 4 years, and the A/Ps, etc cause many negative effects.

Maybe another thing to look into is the supplement NAC: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nac-benefits#section3  It's a super anti-oxidant proven to regulate/lower levels of Glutamate in the brain (same/similar action to Lamictal). There have been a lot of studies on it helping numerous mental health conditions & initially was used in hospitals to help clear acetaminophen (from overdose) from liver (sorry no time to locate all the clinical studies ).

Thanks for the information and very informative post. Lamictal is finished, it was so horrible coming off it I'm never taking another pill to see what happens. I've been on an amphetamine run to counter act the negative effects of the Ability, my suffering is being minimized but I know I can't keep it up for long gotta get off this Abilify. 

10 hours ago, argh said:

I'd second the NAC idea. It's the only supplement i've ever taken that had a tangible and measurable difference.

Is low dose lithium an option?

https://psycheducation.org/treatment/mood-stabilizers/the-big-three-for-bipolar-depression/lithium/#How_much_is_enough_low-dose_lithium

"

How much is enough?  — “low-dose lithium”

Low doses can often be of benefit for depression, either bipolar or plain depression. Lithium treats the entire Mood Spectrum.  In very low doses it can still be useful as an “adjunct”, and add-on to another mood stabilizer or an antidepressant. You don’t have to reach “therapeutic blood levels”! (Those were developed for prevention of mania in Bipolar I).

A simple blood test can show exactly how much of the medication is in the blood. When you are first starting this medication there may be several such tests done, because high levels of lithium can be dangerous and your prescriber will be working to make sure you will not get that high a level in your bloodstream.

"

I've been on Lithium back in 2013, caused massive dehydration problems, got to the point that I couldn't work outside in the Southern heat which is a problem for me here. My hope is the GeneSight test comes back with some drugs that I haven't tried and finally work like Lamictal did. Still even when on Lamictal it didn't really block paranoia so an AP probably needs to be in the mix some where at some point. I just can't understand why the AP's work excellent at first then all have gone South, just frustrating. 

Rexulti? If abilify worked for you but the stimulations was too much, that could be an option.

Edited by argh

2 hours ago, argh said:

Rexulti? If abilify worked for you but the stimulations was too much, that could be an option.

Abilify is nearly killing me right now, I literally feel as if my body is starting to shutdown, loss of appetite, extreme fatigue, etc. I'm counter acting it with amphetamines, methylated B vitamins and iodine for my thyroid being suppressed by the Abilify. It's all up to my pdoc at this point and has to have a generic equivalent with insurance not wanting to pay shit and I pay them like $450 a month. I see the new pdoc again Wednesday hopefully she has the results back from GeneSight and I can try some good medicine, help narrow down what should work better than other drugs.