CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
tbs14

Benzos and sleep meds.

Recently I've been going through a bad depressive episode and am experiencing a return of anxiety. I constantly worry, have panic attacks, and have intrusive thoughts. I have never been on benzodiazapines so any knowledge anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I feel as though I've tried many of "non addictive" options for anxiety and sleep, seroquel, vistaril, buspar, SSRIs and SNRIs, trazodone, remeron, benadryl, etc that I feel that using benzos is justifiable. I kind of feel guilty at the thought of using daily benzos because I have an substance abuse history and I constantly keep telling myself I'm going to end up addicted even though I truly have no desire to abuse a medication. I've also been struggling with sleep, when manic and depressed, even when in a normal mood. I usually take my trazodone at 8:30pm and fall asleep by 9:30. If I forget I might as well just forget about sleeping at a reasonable hour. I usually wake up at 2-4 starting at 1am depending on the night. I notice I don't really like that antihistamine grogginess in the morning that I get from benadryl, seroquel, vistral, etc and more than 100mg of traz makes me a zombie in the morning

For anxiety 

Lyrica 

Xanax XR 

Klonipin 

Valium

For sleep 

Ambien CR 

Lunesta

Restoril

Belsomra

I currently take depakote, latuda, effexor for my bipolar and anxiety disorders

It is worth trying Belsomra as it does not affect GABA so it is, to me, the least abusable. From there the Z drugs are less abusable, to me, than the benzo's. The only sleeping med approved for long term use is Lunesta.

I agree with Belsomra. I take it and it works kinda okay... I do have to supplement it with doxepin and either Xanax or Restoril most of the time, but I feel it completes my sleep meds regimen, as without it I have trouble sleeping just as if I didn't take the other meds with the Belsomra.

In addition to the Z-drugs, there's a benzo that just recently came out on the market that's been around since the 1980's (I believe), so I don't know why it's just now available, but it's called Doral (quazepam), and it's very selective for the GABAAα1 subunit which is the one responsible for sedation. Some say it's also responsible for dependence, but others say that it's the γ2 subunit that's responsible for that. *shrugs* All I know is I wanted to try it when my pdoc mentioned it, but my insurance doesn't cover it (like they don't cover most anything else...).

Rozerem, a melatonin agonist, is another possibility, but I mean... it's kinda like taking melatonin itself, so studies themselves say. Plus it's still brand name only, and they don't have a copay coupon...

On 2/18/2019 at 11:37 PM, mikl_pls said:

I agree with Belsomra. I take it and it works kinda okay... I do have to supplement it with doxepin and either Xanax or Restoril most of the time, but I feel it completes my sleep meds regimen, as without it I have trouble sleeping just as if I didn't take the other meds with the Belsomra.

In addition to the Z-drugs, there's a benzo that just recently came out on the market that's been around since the 1980's (I believe), so I don't know why it's just now available, but it's called Doral (quazepam), and it's very selective for the GABAAα1 subunit which is the one responsible for sedation. Some say it's also responsible for dependence, but others say that it's the γ2 subunit that's responsible for that. *shrugs* All I know is I wanted to try it when my pdoc mentioned it, but my insurance doesn't cover it (like they don't cover most anything else...).

Rozerem, a melatonin agonist, is another possibility, but I mean... it's kinda like taking melatonin itself, so studies themselves say. Plus it's still brand name only, and they don't have a copay coupon...

Yea the generic is quazepam, Doral has been around for a bit now. I have tried it and there is 0 recreational potential to it. I can also comment on dependence, I took it 5 months straight every night and stopped with no taper and I was fine, didn't use any other benzos to help substitute either. Doral is an amazing drug, it works amazingly, but their pharmaceutical sales team needs to step it up so more physicians can prescribe it for insomnia.

And the roezerem, tthere is a Takeda (manufacturer) program that you can apply for to get financial assistance if approved

(https://www.takeda.com/en-us/corporate-responsibility/patient-assistance_

In addition, there is a special mail order pharmacy who will fill for $50 a month for rozerem as long as you have a prescription

(https://prescriptionhope.com/rozerem-ramelteon/)

Hope this helped! Rozerem didn't work for me BTW

Also OP, go look at my newest post