CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Cyclingsarah

1st day on Escitalopram/Lexapro - feeling giggly

Hey guys,

It's my first day on Lexapro/Ecitalopram. It's 2 hours after my first dose (5 mg) and I totally have the giggles. Feeling high/loopy. Have anyone else tried this?

Edited by Cyclingsarah

what's your DX? could be hypomania. Possible for bipolar. Also possible for MDD, but very rare.

I had the same feeling when I started taking Zoloft.

It wears out after 2-3 days, then I just felt "normal".

(OCD Dx)

Edited by HydroCat
  • Like 1

I'm going to write about my experience with Celexa and not Lexapro though the experiences should be similar. Celexa kicked in for me almost immediately. After my first dose, I remember feeling all warm and fuzzy with a sense of well being. I had some trouble waking up in the night and blurry vision which are standard start-up effects of SSRIs. The good feeling never went away for me. Celexa was the only antidepressant that ever helped me, and I tried all the SSRIs and tricyclics available at the time except Luvox and imipramine.

Hopefully, this is an omen of good things to come for you. In any case, try to give it the full six weeks to work properly.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cakepop said:

I didn’t feel anything until a few weeks of taking 5 mg Lexapro. I got nauseas and had racing thoughts, strange thoughts about the devil, and wasn’t sleeping. I was doing weird things in the middle of the night at like 2 am such as thinking it was a good idea to rearrange my whole living room...

This sound like me on Prozac. Not a good fit at all......

15 hours ago, argh said:

what's your DX? could be hypomania. Possible for bipolar. Also possible for MDD, but very rare.

Depression, GAD and suspected very mild bipolar. I have never been fullblown hypomanic, just have some of the symptoms - just extremely mild, and only drug induced. But I am also on Valproate and Gabapentin for mood stabilization.

SSRI-induced hypo/mania is something to watch very closely if the word “bipolar” has ever been mentioned anywhere near you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gearhead said:

SSRI-induced hypo/mania is something to watch very closely if the word “bipolar” has ever been mentioned anywhere near you.

Looking back, my pdoc must have been confident enough in me not being bipolar to put me on Sertraline as the first med ever. I think that the elevated mood of the first week may have been hypomania of some sort and this drug is supposed to be one of the worst for bipolar.

The word I used to describe it was feeling invincible, like nothing can go wrong.

Have you told your doctor how you’re feeling? I think you should at least leave a message with his office. This needs keeping an eye on.

13 hours ago, HydroCat said:

Looking back, my pdoc must have been confident enough in me not being bipolar to put me on Sertraline as the first med ever. I think that the elevated mood of the first week may have been hypomania of some sort and this drug is supposed to be one of the worst for bipolar.

The word I used to describe it was feeling invincible, like nothing can go wrong.

And after that it worked the way it should? Are you still taking it?

12 hours ago, Gearhead said:

Have you told your doctor how you’re feeling? I think you should at least leave a message with his office. This needs keeping an eye on.

I have. They said to keep an eye on it and stay on it until next appointment. 

15 hours ago, HydroCat said:

Also, have you since been diagnosed as bipolar? 

I have been taking it for about 6 months, up to 300mg a day (recommended max is 200mg). It worked as it should, but it wasn't enough for all my syptoms at the time, even on a high dose, so I tried some more antidepressants (currently on Mirtazapine).

Never been diagnosed with BP and never had this feeling again.

It did return when I've increased the dose, again for 2-3 days.

Edited by HydroCat
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, HydroCat said:

I have been taking it for about 6 months, up to 300mg a day (recommended max is 200mg). It worked as it should, but it wasn't enough for all my syptoms at the time, even on a high dose, so I tried some more antidepressants (currently on Mirtazapine).

Never been diagnosed with BP and never had this feeling again.

It did return when I've increased the dose, again for 2-3 days.

Thank you SO much. This helps a lot. 

I was on 100 mg of sertraline 5 years ago with no problems at all. 

Today is day 4, and I don't feel as euphoric and high, though it's still there. Hopefully it will level out and work as Sertraline did for you.

I remember feeling that way after taking Lexapro too...it was a nice feeling, real giddy feeling.

I had a similar experience on my first dose of Paxil - felt more talkative, happy, etc. It lasted only for a few hours though. 

Also happened on very first dose of Wellbutrin which lasted only a couple of hours.

SSRIS actually start to work (not  therapeutic wise) within 30 minutes or so. I remember reading a study or article that showed they started to reuptake serotonin as soon as the medication was absorbed - so about 30 to 60 minutes.

So some of us might feel the medicine immediately, even if it’s only reuptaking (for example) say 5% of serotonin after one dose (vs the average of 80%) while others won’t feel the small change. Yes, I know SSRI’s don’t work that way occupancy wise, it was just the best example I could think of.