Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Normal reaction to antidepressants in the past


Recommended Posts

Ok, so this might be a weird question, but I am desperate for some answers.

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for 3 years now. Pdoc has a hard time treating me, since I have strange (hypomanic) reactions to antidepressants. 

The thing is I was on Sertraline 5 years ago with NO problems at all. I reacted normal to the drug and it helped me a lot.

Then 3 years ago depression came back and they started me on fluoxetin which sent me way deeper into a depression and made my anxiety 1000000 x worse. But no hypomanic reaction at all - just the opposite. They then switched me to mirtazapine which seemed to help fast, mostly because it let me sleep and calmed me down. Still no hypomanic reactions as far as I remember. 

Since then I have stayed on Mirtazapine 45 mg, but they have tried to add every other antidepressants under then sun. The problem is that I now get hypomanic every time they add another drug. 

So what does this mean? Am i truly bipolar even though I've had normal reactions to 3 differents antidepressants in the past? I started lexapro 5 mg yesterday, and 3 hours after the first dose I felt euphoric and speedy...

Have you heard of something similar before? I can't seem to find any answers anywhere :(

Edited by Cyclingsarah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Cyclingsarah said:

Have you heard of something similar before? I can't seem to find any answers anywhere :(

If you don't mind sharing, are there any more meds you're currently on?........I assume you're bipolar, so are you on any mood stabilizers or an AAP?

Bipolar folks usually need a mood stabilizer or an AAP to protect against mania.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Cyclingsarah said:

Ok, so this might be a weird question, but I am desperate for some answers.

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for 3 years now. Pdoc has a hard time treating me, since I have strange (hypomanic) reactions to antidepressants. 

The thing is I was on Sertraline 5 years ago with NO problems at all. I reacted normal to the drug and it helped me a lot.

Then 3 years ago depression came back and they started me on fluoxetin which sent me way deeper into a depression and made my anxiety 1000000 x worse. But no hypomanic reaction at all - just the opposite. They then switched me to mirtazapine which seemed to help fast, mostly because it let me sleep and calmed me down. Still no hypomanic reactions as far as I remember. 

Since then I have stayed on Mirtazapine 45 mg, but they have tried to add every other antidepressants under then sun. The problem is that I now get hypomanic every time they add another drug. 

So what does this mean? Am i truly bipolar even though I've had normal reactions to 3 differents antidepressants in the past? I started lexapro 5 mg yesterday, and 3 hours after the first dose I felt euphoric and speedy...

Have you heard of something similar before? I can't seem to find any answers anywhere :(

Why do they feel like you need another antidepressant? If they cause issues, couldn't you try something like an aap? Or are u already one one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

If you don't mind sharing, are there any more meds you're currently on?........I assume you're bipolar, so are you on any mood stabilizers or an AAP?

Bipolar folks usually need a mood stabilizer or an AAP to protect against mania.

I am on valproate 600 mg and Gabapentin 300 mg for mood stabilization. Lots of other meds for mood stabilization have been tried, including AAP's. Just don't understand why I have been able to stay on antidepressants in the past without a mood stabilizer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

Have you tried lamictal or lithium? Good meds with antidepressant properties for bipolar folk who get manic off of Antidepressants 

Haven't tried lithium yet

Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

Okay.......if you're doing well on the mirtazapine. why does your doc want to add another AD?

Because I keep getting depressed and it hasn't helped much on GAD. I can barely function. Definitely need an antidepressant that works

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cyclingsarah said:

Haven't tried lithium yet

Because I keep getting depressed and it hasn't helped much on GAD. I can barely function. Definitely need an antidepressant that works

I have seen several folks here say lithium really helped their depression.......Also, quite a few people here like Latuda-it's supposed to work for bipolar depression....It's a newer AAP.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So you can only take one antidepressant, the rest cause hypomania or mixed episodes. I think if this is repeatable 1) you are most likely bipolar 2) you got lucky with only one AD among many. Why do you keep trying antidepressants if they don't work and make you manic ? To be diagnosed bipolar you have to meet a certain number of the criteria. Manic reaction to AD's is one of the criteria.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cyclingsarah said:

I keep telling the doctors that I am sure of the bipolar reaction. They keep saying it's just me who is sensitive to medication. Also, we keep trying antidepressants because I'm seriously depressed and anxious, and they won't let me try Lithium.

What..??........I am not even bipolar, but my pdoc let me try lithium in the past,  as an adjunct to my ADs..........Why won't they let you try it?

Is there an option for you to get a second opinion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cyclingsarah said:

I know, I don't get it either. 

I am on my 3rd opinion already. They all say the same thing?? 

Did Lithium work for you? 

No, it didn't help for me.......But you have bipolar, a completely  different diagnosis than I do.....So it might work for you, I don't get it why doc won't let you at least try it.

It's usually one of the first meds tried for bipolar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

No, it didn't help for me.......But you have bipolar, a completely  different diagnosis than I do.....So it might work for you, I don't get it why doc won't let you at least try it.

It's usually one of the first meds tried for bipolar.

Exactly.. But it's difficult when they don't agree with the diagnosis.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Hope you found something that did ?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is your official diagnosis? I find the lithium issue unusual. I've been on it for years. It's cheap and proven. Are you BP II? Maybe they think you need to be BP I? I don't know, just throwing things out.

Before I was dx'd officially as bipolar, I tolerated lexapro, but in hindsight, I think it just made me hypomanic and they overlooked it. I also was on prozac without mania. But Zoloft made me so manic I was committed to the psych ward. So I started ok but got more reactive to SSRIs, even on lithium. (I am also capable of going manic on my own unmedicated....) I haven't taken SSRIs in several years. It's not worth it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, elby said:

What is your official diagnosis? I find the lithium issue unusual. I've been on it for years. It's cheap and proven. Are you BP II? Maybe they think you need to be BP I? I don't know, just throwing things out.

Before I was dx'd officially as bipolar, I tolerated lexapro, but in hindsight, I think it just made me hypomanic and they overlooked it. I also was on prozac without mania. But Zoloft made me so manic I was committed to the psych ward. So I started ok but got more reactive to SSRIs, even on lithium. (I am also capable of going manic on my own unmedicated....) I haven't taken SSRIs in several years. It's not worth it.

Officially my diagnosis is MD and GAD. I think they are under the impression that lithium is a too "heavy" drug for me, since I don't even meet the criteria for BP ll. But from what I can read on this site, most people don't feel overmedicated or zombified on it. 

It's day 5 on lexapro and I still feel giggly, warm, kinda high BUT depressed. So my guess is mixed state. 

Are you still on Lithium? What do you think of it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...