CrazyBoards.org

Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!

I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.

I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?

Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.

I think you're right to maybe switch out the Geodon, tends to be very sedating and cause weight gain.

Wellbutrin is always a good/popular choice, many people seem to really love it and also have luck with quitting smoking on it (unfortunately, did nothing for my depression, no effect at all). I think it can possibly increase anxiety though, so watch out for that. Buspar I tried a looooooong time ago, don't remember/or know much about that one. Haven't heard much talk about it here.

You have some good/reasonable ideas, run them by your doc and hopefully they will titrate slowly (no one will start you on all 3 at once). Good luck!

• Like 1

I am not a geodon fan, but you should be careful that you still have enough. Hypo/mania coverage with only lamictal if you add Wellbutrin and lose your AP. Ever thought about latuda? 

8 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I am not a geodon fan, but you should be careful that you still have enough. Hypo/mania coverage with only lamictal if you add Wellbutrin and lose your AP. Ever thought about latuda? 

I've looked into latuda but I'm concerned again about the weight gain factor. I know it's not the worst possible side effect but it definitely doesn't help my depression and I'm worried about my health with how fast I gained on Geodon. When I was on abilify before I didn't gain so I might ask about replacing the Geodon with that in addition to the Wellbutrin and buspar? obviously depending on what the doc thinks but no combo I've tried so far has hit the mark. 

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

I think you're right to maybe switch out the Geodon, tends to be very sedating and cause weight gain.

Wellbutrin is always a good/popular choice, many people seem to really love it and also have luck with quitting smoking on it (unfortunately, did nothing for my depression, no effect at all). I think it can possibly increase anxiety though, so watch out for that. Buspar I tried a looooooong time ago, don't remember/or know much about that one. Haven't heard much talk about it here.

You have some good/reasonable ideas, run them by your doc and hopefully they will titrate slowly (no one will start you on all 3 at once). Good luck!

Yeah I've read that Wellbutrin can exacerbate anxiety in some (though hopefully not as much as the Adderall seems to do) which is why I'm hoping I can add something like Buspar to combat that but who knows what will work, right? I know they won't shift everything at once but the waiting game is so hard! I just want to find what works and I feel like it's definitely been an uphill battle. 

Buspar has not been that effective. You have to take it for a while before it works, not an as needed med. Nothing like the benzos. Some, of course, like it. I felt nothing after a month. It has been used as an antidepressant adjunct. 

Edited by notloki
add last 2 sentences

1 hour ago, lunafox said:

I've looked into latuda but I'm concerned again about the weight gain factor. I know it's not the worst possible side effect but it definitely doesn't help my depression and I'm worried about my health with how fast I gained on Geodon. When I was on abilify before I didn't gain so I might ask about replacing the Geodon with that in addition to the Wellbutrin and buspar? obviously depending on what the doc thinks but no combo I've tried so far has hit the mark. 

Yeah I've read that Wellbutrin can exacerbate anxiety in some (though hopefully not as much as the Adderall seems to do) which is why I'm hoping I can add something like Buspar to combat that but who knows what will work, right? I know they won't shift everything at once but the waiting game is so hard! I just want to find what works and I feel like it's definitely been an uphill battle. 

Abilify+wellbutrin+ BuSpar in one round of changes is really a lot to cram in at once, it makes it hard to sort out problems vs benefits 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Aeiou62
      I need some energy, some motivation, some good manic voodoo. Why cant i have that without losing my damn fool mind.?
      Hasnt anyone looked at that? Why must I be either lazy and lethargic or 90mph? Im always tired, always fatigued. I need to know how to get my mojo going WITHOUT my kookoo taging along every time. I cant believe nobody has studied this.
    • By braindeadbedhead
      This is a long shot, but I figure I can't be the only one who has ever had this thought. Is there a way to induce a state that includes the productivity/happiness of mania - without all the extra bullshit? 😅
      Mania is better than any drug, the euphoria is incomparable. Every time I skip a few days of sleep, feel an increase in energy, or anything that might be the beginning of an episode, I think - ''Please let this be the onset of the best feeling in the world. I can't do this shit anymore''. I feel so guilty admitting to that, because I know that being manic and being functional are generally not compatible. I also don't ever want to end up in hospital again, because that never fails to be a de-humanizing experience.
      I have not had any symptoms of mania since my last hospital admission, three whole years ago. It was the first and only manic episode that I've ever had, and it lasted for about three months. I feel like I could have avoided hospital completely if I had experienced mania without the accompanying psychosis. If I could just achieve that level of elation without:
      rapid speech word-salad delusional beliefs dangerously impulsive acts (e.g. jumping out of a car on the highway because the sky looked beautiful and I wanted a loser look) I look back on those ugly symptoms and I could never cope with them now. I go to college full-time, I work, and I have so much to lose if I lost the ability to communicate with others and behave safely. On the other hand - my life just feels so damn gray and stagnant; I miss feeling invincible. 
    • By Persona_Is_Life
      Hello! 
      I'm trying to figure out how to address my nervous tics lately. They've been persistent this past year and are always changing. From eye blinking, to head shaking, to sticking my elbow in my sides, squeaking, to a eye closed swallow things. I can't remember them all. 
      I don't always have them. If I've properly slept and aren't stressed/anxious they don't exist at all. As I'm typing this I keep needing to pick up my thumbs and bend them till I hear something crack. 
      I don't know where to put this though! 
      Thanks!
    • By Blahblah
      This has become the central topic of my latest ruminations...I'm still in my 40's, but I'm worrying a lot about getting older. I'm having some random health issues (aches/pains, chronic fatigue etc) that I never had before.
      I don't have any children and get triggered every time I see photos of other people's kids (literally everyone I know my age has kids now). I know that it's not a given that all families are happy or one's kids will take care of you in old age, but it's just the thought of having a family around! My parents are approaching late 70's and they live very far away, cannot travel. I have no other close family (or even close friends) that I can really depend on.
      Anyone know how to remedy these anxious thoughts? One of my biggest fears is being alone in old age, with increased health issues, and being totally isolated/alone in despair. I'd rather die young.
    • By mikl_pls
      I have ADHD primarily inattentive, and until recently it was pretty much decently controlled. However, in the last 4-6 months, I have been suffering greatly from the inattentive symptoms so much so that they are practically debilitating. Also, my motivation to do anything, recreational or not, has just gone completely out the window. My room has been an absolute mess—an embarrassingly barely traversable sea of clothes and trash that I just cannot bring myself to pick one single thing up. I'm sure depression is a factor, but just... FUCK! I ran off the road the other day because I was flapping my gums talking to my friend and not paying attention to the road. I got a flat tire on my brand new set of 4 tires and bent the fucking rim of the wheel! That's going to cost a lot to fix... Going to have to probably leave my car at the dealership while they order the part to replace it with...
      My pdoc just simply doesn't prescribe me stims anymore. Won't get into that. We got into an argument and now she's all vindictive about it. She barely prescribed 10 mg Adderall before that anyway as the death of her husband left her very conservative with prescribing, especially stims.
      So my gdoc does my stims. He didn't know what to do. I asked about adding a little oral selegiline (Eldepryl) for the levoamphetamine metabolites (more noradrenergic = better for inattention) + MAO-B inhibition for more dopamine (better for motivation symptoms), but he said "that sent shivers down [his] spine just thinking about prescribing that" and preferred to stay away from it. So I asked about protriptyline (Vivactil), which I've taken before with some success, and he agreed. Problem is, it's so uncommon and hard to find that I'm going to have to use a mail-order pharmacy to get it, very likely.
      Any self-proclaimed ADHD experts out there? Should I be searching for a second pdoc to see specifically for my ADHD? Someone who will go above the 60 mg max of Dexedrine for my ADHD? A second amphetamine stimulant? (Adding methylphenidate to amphetamine will cancel each others' mechanisms of action out...) I have tried all the amphetamine stimulants and so far Dexedrine is the most potent, even more potent than Desoxyn (methamphetamine), which I hated... I don't want to go back to Adderall because of the shortage... Evekeo my insurance doesn't pay for, but would actually probably be best for me because of my inattentive symptoms. (shrugs)
      Anyone have any ideas on other augmenting options? Add something like phentermine? I don't think protriptyline (an NRI) is going to cut it. Atomoxetine 80 mg hasn't, desipramine 200 mg hasn't, and nortriptyline 150 mg hasn't either. I've tried amoxapine up to 150 mg I think, but it doesn't feel too potent, and has dopamine blocking, and maprotiline I'm afraid of the seizures and the sedation/weight gain...
      Kinda thinking about giving an MAOI another try, but my pdoc is so so so stingy with those...