CrazyBoards.org

Rash caused by anxiety?

Ok, so I have this rash on the back of my legs.  Click here for the full story.  Breeze and I think it was caused by anxiety.  Has that happened to any of you?  I'm seeing a dermatologist on 3/21.  I see my pdoc again 3/28.  Right now, it's just itchy itchy itchy and making me nuts!  Well, more than usual, anyway.

~CS

It happens to my husband from time to time when he is stressed. He gets little irregular shaped rough raised patches in places where chafing is likely (like around the ribcage by the arms, inner thighs, etc. He complains that they itch like hell and that hydrocortisone doesn't help. We tried adjusting the laundry detergent, but that did nothing as well. Finally he got some Rx steroidal cream from his GP which worked. I don't know what the technical term is...

--Weasel

what does it look like? (sorry if its in the other thread, i dont have the concentration to actually READ whats there ;) )

i had this happen to me when i was 19.  i broke out in a SERIOUS rash all over my body.  went to doctor - they thought i had chicken pox again.  then red measles.  i had massive amounts of blood work done. then, i had an abundance of biopsies taken.

the final outcome? anxiety.  it took quite some time for it to go away...but it did on its own.  it was scary...but yeah.

school, parental issues, moving out on my own, etc etc etc...i think it just all came crashing down on me...and out in my skin!

who knows.

but yeah...thats my story.

tal

Maybe it is related to hives.  My oldest got hives because he wanted his ear peirced really badly, but was afraid of the pain.  He worked himself into a frenzy the day before the peircing was to happen and broke out in itchy red splotches all over his arms and torso.  The school freaked and made me pick him up.  The dr. said it was hives (I thought hives were large round bumps but I guess not) and gave him benedryll.  The benedryll helped.  Benedryll makes me sooo sleepppyyyy  ;) it could double as an anti-anxiety med, because I'd be too tired to worry.  But I'm interested in what your derm. dr. says.

I used to have warts when I was young.  We tried everything to burn them off but to no avail.  Then something major happened (sorry I can't tell) an dI wasn't worried anymore and they all fell of and disappeared!  Nowadays, I get an occational water bump/ water zit thing.  It's very small and doesn't last long.  The skin is an amazing thing when it comes to stress.

Thanks for responding.

I have little red bumps on the backs of my calves.  In some places, there are enough that they've kind-of grown together, if that makes any sense.  So it looks more like red splotches.

This also happened back in August.  If it happens again, I need to know what to do about it, so I'm trying not to get better until after I see the dermo.  I know that sounds weird.

I've tried two different steroid creams, and neither one has worked.  At all.

The skin is the largest organ in the human body.  I actually know kind-of a lot about it because I work in cosmetics.

After I see the dermo, I'll post and let you know what he said.

~CS

Guest ~Aurelie~

hi cs sorry to hear the rash is still there. i have always had skin problems and i'm sure it's anxiety related. apparently when i was small there was a neck rash for long long time. walked round holding cold wet face cloth on it all the time.

i break out in full body hives a lot. and i have excema mostly on my hands. it's awful. hurts bad. hands bleed.

i feel for you. i hope you get good results with dermatologist.

what will help take your mind off it in meantime? cookie? better be a damn good cookie huh?

aurelie

CS, when my parents were alive, my mother broke out in a rash.  It was usually on her face, neck, torso, and when it got bad--her whole body. 

My dad was starting to get senile, and she had to make all the decisions for them.  It freaked her out, I guess because she had every test known to the medical profession, and they could never find a cause.  They called it "unspecified dermititis" and her internist gave her Zoloft.  I wish I had known then what I know now---I would have gotten her into a pdoc and gotten the big guns for anxiety.

Anyway, I hope you get a chance to relax during your visit home and maybe that will make the rash go away.  The only thing that helped my mother's rash was Prednisone.  ick.

olga

I get hives when I'm really stressed out. Reactine works wonders for it (I think that is a Canadian allergy med-- it's fab because it doesn't make you drowsy). Benadryl helps too, but it's not so useful in my case because I tend to get the hives in the morning for some reason, and Benadryl makes me too tired to go on with my day.

I had tons of allergy testing, etc, done to rule everything else out but eventually I just realized it was stress and anxiety. Since then, I've been able to notice when I feel the hives starting (my knees get really warm; weird, I know) and then I can usually calm myself down before they come full-on.

Archived