CrazyBoards.org
Britton777

Provigil? Is this really for me? I’m so confused

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone. I’ve been bouncing from one trial of medication to another for the past 4 1/2 years with adverse reactions. Nothing has helped. I just saw a new psychiatrist on Monday. An older gentleman who actually seemed to listen. He was also a longtime professor our local university. 

My symptoms are treatment resistant insomnia, chronic, severe anxiety, chronic derealization, ocd (pure o) racing, intrusive thoughts (often presenting as songs looping in my head, but a switch can also go off in my head where I obsessively think about something to the point of it driving me crazy)  brain fog, depression. My body and brown simply will not turn off. I’m stuck in constant fight/flight.  I believe the lack of sleep is the catalyst for most of this (all of this started after sudden onset of insomnia) Maybe it wouldn’t go away with sleep, but I know it would get better. My main goal is sleep, but seems unattainable after 4 1/2 years.

I have tried every medication under the sun (well, mostly) 

The doctor decided to prescribe provigil (modafinil) which seems counterintuitive to me. He was clear that it could go either way. Possible that it could calm me down, possible that it could let me up and make my symptoms worse. 

Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite conservative  and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 

Wondering what your thoughts are on this given my symptoms? Seems counterintuitive...but maybe it will help. So confused. 

Edited by Britton777

Seems like you should be trying something sedative if insomnia and anxiety are your main symptoms. But it could help your treatment resistant depression. Provigil had no effect on me so I will defer to others to discuss this subject. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have never heard personally of anyone being prescribed Provigil for insomnia and anxiety-related problems.....

Provigil is known as a "wakefulness - promoting" agent, and is used to decrease sleepiness.......For example, it is used as a treatment for narcolepsy, which is excessive daytime sleepiness....

I am not the doc, but can't really understand his reasoning behind this one....Seems unusual to me, IMO..

At least you will only start out with a small dose to see what it does.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Britton777 said:

Hi everyone. I’ve been bouncing from one trial of medication to another for the past 4 1/2 years with adverse reactions. Nothing has helped. I just saw a new psychiatrist on Monday. An older gentleman who actually seemed to listen. He was also a longtime professor our local university. 

My symptoms are treatment resistant insomnia, chronic, severe anxiety, chronic derealization, ocd (pure o) racing, intrusive thoughts (often presenting as songs looping in my head, but a switch can also go off in my head where I obsessively think about something to the point of it driving me crazy)  brain fog, depression. My body and brown simply will not turn off. I’m stuck in constant fight/flight.  I believe the lack of sleep is the catalyst for most of this (all of this started after sudden onset of insomnia) Maybe it wouldn’t go away with sleep, but I know it would get better. My main goal is sleep, but seems unattainable after 4 1/2 years.

The doctor decided to prescribe provigil (modafinil) which seems counterintuitive to me. He was clear that it could go either way. Possible that it could calm me down, possible that it could let me up and make my symptoms worse. 

Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite reserved and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 

Wondering what your thoughts are on this given my symptoms? Seems counterintuitive...but maybe it will help. So confused. 

That’s an interesting choice. I would definitely think something sedating would be a better option like CNO mentioned. This is kind of mind baffling.

Provigl made me so crazy. I was manic and so off kilter. I was super jittery and just completely manic. But I was taking 400 mg provigil too because it was 2 doses, one AM and one afternoon.

I take nuvigil now. It’s much smoother. I take 200 mg. But I have sleep apnea and probable narcolepsy. So YMMV for sure on this one. 

It’s good you are starting very low in dose. If you are having such anxiety and insomnia It really is a wakefulness agent as others have said. It’s “officially” for people with narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and shift work. Keep close contact with your pdoc.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Britton777 said:

Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite reserved and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 

Yeah maybe weird, but it seems like nothing sedating ever works for you so it's not a bad time to be out of the box

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Yeah maybe weird, but it seems like nothing sedating ever works for you so it's not a bad time to be out of the box

Seems that this is kind of his thought on it too. Out of the box, but it definitely sounds like a weird choice. I’m easily thrown into manic feelings from medications, so this worries me. 

18 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

That’s an interesting choice. I would definitely think something sedating would be a better option like CNO mentioned. This is kind of mind baffling.

Provigl made me so crazy. I was manic and so off kilter. I was super jittery and just completely manic. But I was taking 400 mg provigil too because it was 2 doses, one AM and one afternoon.

I take nuvigil now. It’s much smoother. I take 200 mg. But I have sleep apnea and probable narcolepsy. So YMMV for sure on this one. 

It’s good you are starting very low in dose. If you are having such anxiety and insomnia It really is a wakefulness agent as others have said. It’s “officially” for people with narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and shift work. Keep close contact with your pdoc.

Unfortunately nothing sedating has ever helped me?

But trying this worries me. 

12 minutes ago, Britton777 said:

Seems that this is kind of his thought on it too. Out of the box, but it definitely sounds like a weird choice. I’m easily thrown into manic feelings from medications, so this worries me. 

Unfortunately nothing sedating has ever helped me?

But trying this worries me. 

Don’t be worried. I said YMMV. And it’s good you are starting so very low in dose. You never know, this could be your needle in the haystack. You might just get lucky and have this be your miracle med!

How was I supposed to know that nothing sedating has ever worked for you? I couldn’t have possibly known that. And I don’t think you have a signature with any meds you’ve tried or not tried. I’m sorry if I made you feel worried. That wasn’t my intent. You asked for people’s thoughts on this and I shared my thoughts and experience. I don’t understand your reaction to my post.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Don’t be worried. I said YMMV. And it’s good you are starting so very low in dose. You never know, this could be your needle in the haystack. You might just get lucky and have this be your miracle med!

How was I supposed to know that nothing sedating has ever worked for you? I couldn’t have possibly known that. And I don’t think you have a signature with any meds you’ve tried or not tried. I’m sorry if I made you feel worried. That wasn’t my intent. You asked for people’s thoughts on this and I shared my thoughts and experience. I don’t understand your reaction to my post.

No worries! I was worried before you wrote that! 

If I put all the a signature with all the meds I’ve tried it would be a mile long! Lol

Just now, Britton777 said:

No worries! I was worried before you wrote that! 

If I put all the a signature with all the meds I’ve tried it would be a mile long! Lol

Oh ok. Well I’m sorry you are worried. I thought you were upset with me. I hope this med helps you. You never know until you try! Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 2:29 PM, Wonderful.Cheese said:

So the doctors office called today and apparently  they don’t make a 50 mg provigil pill here in the US. They decided to call in 50 mg nuvigil instead. 

I’m hoping it is more smooth as you had mentioned. The last thing I need/want is to feel manic, anxious, jittery or crazy. I just can’t wrap my head around trying this medication. The only thing that I can think is because I’m paradoxical to everything, maybe I’ll be paradoxical to this. 

I think my biggest worry is the length of time it stays in your system if it ends up spinning me out. Wish it had a shorter duration. From what I’ve read, it has a longer action than provigil and that was already long! ?

Edited by Britton777

15 hours ago, Britton777 said:

So the doctors office called today and apparently  they don’t make a 50 mg provigil pill here in the US. They decided to call in 50 mg nuvigil instead. 

I’m hoping it is more smooth as you had mentioned. The last thing I need/want is to feel manic, anxious, jittery or crazy. I just can’t wrap my head around trying this medication. The only thing that I can think is because I’m paradoxical to everything, maybe I’ll be paradoxical to this. 

I think my biggest worry is the length of time it stays in your system if it ends up spinning me out. Wish it had a shorter duration. From what I’ve read, it has a longer action than provigil and that was already long! ?

I really hope it works for you. Like you said, maybe because you have had paradoxical reactions to other meds that the same will occur with the nuvigil. That would be great! It might just be the med that works great for you! You never know until you try.

And YMMV but I did find that nuvigil lasts longer than provigil. Not by much though, like extremely much. So try not to worry too much about that. Mine wears off around lunch time. And again, personally nuvigil is more smooth for me than provigil. If that helps at all.

And YMMV too because I’ve never taken just nuvigl alone so I cannot comment on any experience with that. 

Good luck with this med trial. Give it a fair shot. I hope it works out!

• Thanks 1

Does nuvigil and provigil work similar to amphetamine/stimulanteds like Ritalin and Adderall for people with ADD/ADHD? Does it tend to calm them down in a similar way? 

Technically, Provigil and Nuvigil are classified as "wakefulness promoters" and not stimulants. Technically. However, many pdocs treat them the same as stimulants. I believe that studies on people with ADHD have returned disappointing results on Provigil/Nuvigil as opposed to stimulants (amphetamine and Ritalin).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jt07 said:

Technically, Provigil and Nuvigil are classified as "wakefulness promoters" and not stimulants. Technically. However, many pdocs treat them the same as stimulants. I believe that studies on people with ADHD have returned disappointing results on Provigil/Nuvigil as opposed to stimulants (amphetamine and Ritalin).

Is it possible that it could calm my extreme OCD (pure o) and anxiety? Or would it likely make it worse? I also have very very bad insomnia (which I believe is the catalyst to most of my symptoms) Seems like a strange medication to prescribe someone with my symptoms, but I have tried virtually everything and nothing helps. 

My body is ass backwards. The narcolepsy medication Xyrem (date rape drug) didn’t even make me sleep and caused severe anxiety. I even tried chloral hydrate which didn’t put me out either. I have no idea what is going on with me. Doctors are stumped. 

I have tried both Adderall and Ritalin at very low doses. On both meds I was able to take a small nap during the day, which was an odd but welcomed effect for me (which makes me think there was ‘something’ to it), but did not help me sleep at night. After trying both, on different occasions, I had to give up after several days as the OCD and other unwanted effects became too strong. 

Im very sensitive to medications, even at minuscule doses. 

I was going to pick up the nuvigil today to try tomorrow morning, but found out Costco pharmacy is closed on sundays. 

I’ve read that provigil and nuvigil both work on dopamine receptors..?? When I tried OTC l-dopa, I went off the rails. 

I am easily thrown into medication induced mania, irritability and raciness. 

I’m at a loss?

Edited by Britton777
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Britton777 said:

Does nuvigil and provigil work similar to amphetamine/stimulanteds like Ritalin and Adderall for people with ADD/ADHD? Does it tend to calm them down in a similar way? 

NO.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, Britton777 said:

I’m at a loss?

How are you doing?.....Have you tried the Nuvigil yet?