Has anyone LOST WEIGHT on Seroquel

Am I a freak of what?? I read everything I could about Seroquel.. I feel great,

I am losing weight on this stuff...

My lifestyle remains the same but I am sleeping better  - that is it.. So I am up fewer hours, less active, because I am at rest more and less hyper but I am still losing weight.

Anyone else ???

Frosty.

Edited by frosty

yeah i was on seroquel and lost weight. i went off it a few weeks ago and i think i'm still losing.

not that i weigh myself.

just.. feel skinnier.

like i need to be skinnier.

;)

pj

yeah i was on seroquel and lost weight. i went off it a few weeks ago and i think i'm still losing.

not that i weigh myself.

just.. feel skinnier.

like i need to be skinnier.

;)

pj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Weird.... :)   I live in Ontario as well and so far it's just you and me PJ.

Frosty

I'm losing weight.  I mean, I was before Seroquel, the drug just slowed it down a bit.  Makes it harder.  But I've lost a few inches here and there, kept off the weight I lost before Seroquel.  It can be done.

ummmm....this is one side effect I'd like to order pleasee!!! B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what though?? I gained 20 pounds on Lamictal at your dose real fast...

But I had serious side effects and had to come off it.. (darn) ;)

So did the weight..

Frosty.

The worse ever was Paxil... EEW. I bloated up like a dead fish...  40 pounds in one month. My stretch marks had stretch marks.. I told the doc if I am so depressed about myself  by the sise effects of this pill, even if it pulls me out of the first depression, my self hatred is still going to keep me in a depressed state.. So what is the point... Got off that too.. 

They should make a pill that's a combo of an AP and tapeworm larva.

Just a thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't work V E .. The tapeworm probably would end up either sleeping all day 

or getting manic and forgetting to eat anyway.. ;)

Frosty

Just wrote on Seroquel in the "sleepies" thread but I thought I'd add a note here which I sure hope is wrong. Several studies (sorry no links) "show" that Seroquel tends to cause weight gain - and quite a bit (positive correlation in other words) -  in those for whom it  is most effective.

Speaking as someone who has decided NEVER  again to take a med which causes weight gain -  having just barely removed forty  killing lbs which trashed already fragile:  back, knees, lipids, heart and morale. From Nardil  (Not the reason I stopped it.)

GREAT medicine, though - for them as it works for.  I mean that.    Giving up sausage etc, was nothing. 

But it WAS killling me.

rt

PS MUST we have this "edited by" note??  ;) I'll be forced to add OCD to my dx list (was hoping to keep that. at least,  under wraps. )

Edited by realitytest

I've lost about 10 pounds since starting Seroquel about 2 months ago.  I had been at the same weight for years and never could lose more than a couple of pounds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have to add, and i don't know if it's something that's similar for you synthetic? i didn't gain any weight from seroquel, but when i think about it carefully i am pretty sure i lost weight when i STARTED lithium, but i was still taking seroquel - or rather, restarted seroquel because i was flipping out.

cause the s/e of starting lithium includes nausea, this makes sense. when i was first taking lithium (at 1500mg BID) i couldn't eat. too pukey.

i'm not on seroquel anymore. but this thought occurred to me.

pj

seroquel. gaahh. it's my wonder drug but it makes me fat.

i'm getting my buddha belly again. crap.

grouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On one of my many  research expeditions, I found out that Seroquel affects the Hypothalimus gland which is the control center for hunger in the body.. among other things. So what it does is mainly negate our  satiety centre meaning no matter how much you eat , you still feel hungry because that mechanism is

not working normaly as it should.

Frosty..

My thighs seem to be growing by the minute on this stuff, yep, I can't get enough food to keep me full for more than like 3-4 hours. Uggg.  I just stared at myself in the bathroom here at work and told myself I'm a disgusting fat pig.  ;)   FUUCK, I can't be fat because I get severely depressed when bigger than a size 2....

• 2 years later...
Guest goldheir
My thighs seem to be growing by the minute on this stuff, yep, I can't get enough food to keep me full for more than like 3-4 hours. Uggg.

Guest goldheiress
My thighs seem to be growing by the minute on this stuff, yep, I can't get enough food to keep me full for more than like 3-4 hours. Uggg.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, lost 14 pounds this year since Feb - from 158 to 144 which is great. Also lost weight on Lamictal cos i got so manic and anxious needed to exercise all the time to start with!!

Gained 30 pounds on Olanzapine, Carbamazepine , Sulpiride, Stelazine, Haldol, Loxapine, Sertraline, Paroxetine, and god knows what else, can't remember - all changes in space of one year. However, Lam and Squel have been good to me on weight front if nothing else.

• 6 months later...
Guest Guest

I started 50mg of seroquel a week ago. I wake up starving in the middle of the night, but feel like a zombie going to the refrigerator. Then I wake up in the morning with crumbs all over me. Don't even really remember eating. I don't have an appetite during the day though. Anyone else experience this?

Am I a freak of what?? I read everything I could about Seroquel.. I feel great,

I am losing weight on this stuff...

My lifestyle remains the same but I am sleeping better - that is it.. So I am up fewer hours, less active, because I am at rest more and less hyper but I am still losing weight.

Anyone else ???

Frosty.

Most weight gain from seroquel is because of histamine antagonism. When scientists breed mice without histamine receptors they can't get fat on seroquel the way the mice who have histamine receptors can. Or something like that (histamine blockade results in this other chemical called AMPK getting messed up, which in turn leads to leptin going screwy, end result is eating heaps and fatness).

You may be genetically not vulnerable to histamine-mediated appetite / leptin FUBARy

Since you are sleeping more, your metabolism is healthier (metabolism goes to crap during sleep deprivation), which in turn is resulting in weight loss. Leptin increases , so does thyroid hormone, when one is properly rested. Glucose tolerance improves, and sleep deprivation can actually cause transient diabetic condition (diabetes type II leads to obesity and vice versa).

Generally speaking, the short story is that you are a lucky lucky individual who is immune to histaminergic weight gain, so you are immune to seroquel diabetes/weight gain effects. However you reap all the benefits of sleeping normally, including better metabolism and weight loss.*

*of course there may be other reasons for the weight loss, but assuming it is healthy and not pathological loss of weight this is the likely reason.

• 1 year later...

I started taking seroquel years ago and I was already overweight when I started. Back in 2005 I lost 20 kilos or 40 pounds by cutting out all junk food and walking everyday. My seroquel was cut from 250mg to 50 mgs in March but I have been injured ever since and have not worked out. So I will get going again and see if I can lose again. I think with Seroquel it will not show on the scales it only shows in your clothing so dont despair but you need a 1500 calorie a day eating plan and exercise.Good Luck my lovelies.

I lost weight with Seroquel-- I was not to happy about taking it when my doc told me of that side effect but I actually ended up losing (then again I am have some crazy ass random reactions to various meds-- kinda fitting I guess)

I feel like I don't have an appetite from it... which is a yipee for me!

Guest Girl_interrupted

I have lost weight on Seroquel.Not sure how much. It has really shown in my clothes. It has been also though regular excercise as well.

• 1 year later...

I am on 300mg of Seroquel and have put on *at least* 20-25 pounds... All in the gut... I'm afraid to quit smoking due to the fact that I may "blow up" even more.... I have moderate to severe Panic Disorder, Bipolar 1 and GAD so going off my meds is not a choice.... Has anyone lost the "belly" with a combination of diet and excercise? There has to be a way to maintain my issues without looking the way I do.....

-3XC3SS

Last time I was weighed (a few months ago), I had lost a little since my previous weight before Seroquel. But the amount I lost was very small.

Since not freaking out all the time, I have been in a much better position to live healthier. I have reduced carbs and eliminated meat / fish from my diet. I am also exercising a lot more, though mainly to reduce pain levels.

I have been a healthy weight for a couple of years. Before that I was barely eating (I still have a fairly poor appetite) and too thin, which was horrible.

• 1 year later...

Just recently started taking seroquel after knowing for years im bipolar and BPD. A week ago I had a stress/anxiety triggered seizure where I earned a 3day stay in neurology floor at local gosp. Wasnt neurological but psychological so I spoke with the in patient psychologist..he asked about racing thoughts, past "tendencies" etc. BAM..seroquel. After a year of therapists someone finally listened to me and put an actual dr on it. Didnt really have a choice because my mind had finally snapped and gave the ultimate physiological sign of something being wrong inside my mind. The way it was described was my brain finally said FUCK YOU and hit the reboot button. The exact words the psychiatrist used there! Since starting the meds my appetite has actually diminished despite everything I've read on the drug. I think the side effects definitely depend on the person taking the med. Frankly im glad its the opposite for me because at 5'8 and 235lbs..I dont need any gains in that dept.

• 2 years later...
On March 15, 2006 at 3:09 PM, frosty said:

Weird.... :)   I live in Ontario as well and so far it's just you and me PJ.

Frosty

On May 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM, OscillateWildly said:

Most weight gain from seroquel is because of histamine antagonism. When scientists breed mice without histamine receptors they can't get fat on seroquel the way the mice who have histamine receptors can. Or something like that (histamine blockade results in this other chemical called AMPK getting messed up, which in turn leads to leptin going screwy, end result is eating heaps and fatness).

You may be genetically not vulnerable to histamine-mediated appetite / leptin FUBARy

Since you are sleeping more, your metabolism is healthier (metabolism goes to crap during sleep deprivation), which in turn is resulting in weight loss. Leptin increases , so does thyroid hormone, when one is properly rested. Glucose tolerance improves, and sleep deprivation can actually cause transient diabetic condition (diabetes type II leads to obesity and vice versa).

Generally speaking, the short story is that you are a lucky lucky individual who is immune to histaminergic weight gain, so you are immune to seroquel diabetes/weight gain effects. However you reap all the benefits of sleeping normally, including better metabolism and weight loss.*

*of course there may be other reasons for the weight loss, but assuming it is healthy and not pathological loss of weight this is the likely reason.

I haven't gained anything on this medicine to me it's been the best option for me 

• 2 years later...

I started taking150 mg of quetiapine in April 2018 after having aorta surgery and being in a coma for3 weeks. I lost 50lbs the 2 months I was in the hospital.I have also lost another 10 lbs since I’ve been out of hospital it’s aug27,2018. I gained weight the last few years going through premenopausal nothing would help me loose it I could just look at food and gain weight.so for me this medicine is awesome!

Edited by Jtpsoul
  • Like 1