CrazyBoards.org

So I have been experimenting with larger than usual dosages of both ambien and xanax at the same time because my dr is giving me the OK to see which dose works for me. For example, tonight I ate 6mg of xanax and 70mg ambien, yes i typed that right lol. But the thing is, I am honestly not feeling much at all even after eating 3 bars and 8 ambien and its frustrating as h**l !

Does anybody else mix this combination for sleep? The dr said I can take either 2.5-5mg of ativan or up to 8mg of xanax along with ambien 80mg for insomnia. Now this only went through insurance because I have 1 primary and 3 secondary so basically if one insurance rejects the claim, another one of my secondary insurances will pay.

Anyway heres the big question. I know I do have a high tolerance for benzos, I was on valium 40mg for quite a few months and have been on benzos since 2014. But has anybody else taken something along these doses together for insomnia? Quite curious what you guys have to say about this...

Wow- I'm pretty impressed your doc lets you do that. To me doses that high might indicate that you need some additional help from another med approach. I'd be worried about the rebound insomnia if you had to switch/come off those meds cuz that would be one hell of a titration schedule. However, you've tried all the other usual stuff for sleep right? So don't get me wrong I don't blame you for trying to get relief I just wonder how sustainable that is longer term

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Wow- I'm pretty impressed your doc lets you do that. To me doses that high might indicate that you need some additional help from another med approach. 

^^This^^.........However, mmaryland, from what you listed as past meds, I see you haven't tried Belsomra.....That might be worth a try, at least.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I take 1 mg Klonopin and 6 mg Lunesta and don't have any morning hangover. I've been on this dose for over 10 years so obviously tolerance is not an issue.

@notloki tolerance varies from person to person, so although you may not have any to Klonopin, congrats, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen to everyone else.

@crazyredhead yea i have tried belsomra for 2 weeks even at the 20mg dose and nothing. I've tried almost all sleep meds you can name besides Xyrem

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, mmaryland said:

@crazyredhead yea i have tried belsomra for 2 weeks even at the 20mg dose and nothing. I've tried almost all sleep meds you can name besides Xyrem

Considering that your pdoc is pretty open-minded, maybe Halcion?..

Low- dose Thorazine?.....

Just throwing those out there.......

Edited by CrazyRedhead

8 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Considering that your pdoc is pretty open-minded, maybe Halcion?.......Low dose Thorazine?.....

Just throwing those out there.......

been there too with the halcion, worked wonderfully but wanted to pull me off of it. And no thanks to the thorazine, I am actually really going to ask about Halcion next time I visit my doc which is tomorrow. So any other suggestions other than maybe the halcion?

• Like 1

Just now, mmaryland said:

been there too with the halcion, worked wonderfully but wanted to pull me off of it. And no thanks to the thorazine, I am actually really going to ask about Halcion next time I visit my doc which is tomorrow. So any other suggestions other than maybe the halcion?

I think it would be a good idea to ask about the Halcion again, since it worked well before..........Another suggestion would be Dalmane (flurazepam).....

Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

I think it would be a good idea to ask about the Halcion again, since it worked well before..........Another suggestion would be Dalmane (flurazepam).....

Dalmane, got it thanks! I mean is it long or short half life? I think I need something like Halcion since I have initiation insomnia, once I am asleep im usually out cold, it's just getting to sleep is my biggest issue. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, mmaryland said:

Dalmane, got it thanks! I mean is it long or short half life? I think I need something like Halcion since I have initiation insomnia, once I am asleep im usually out cold, it's just getting to sleep is my biggest issue. 

From what I have read, Dalmane has a longer half-life than Halcion......

Edited by CrazyRedhead

4 hours ago, mmaryland said:

What bothers you about Thorazine? 

• Confused 1

On 3/11/2019 at 9:10 PM, Iceberg said:

What bothers you about Thorazine? 

its another AP, a hefty one at that. I got halcion 0.25mg as thats all it comes in, so should I even ask about trying Dalmane if Halcion works well for me? Only thing that sucks is that I am kind of stuck taking a benzodiazepine at least 5 nights of the week in order to get some shut eye and I dont want my tolerance to get out the wazooo....so that's when I turn to you guys for suggestions (besides thorazine). Is nefazodone sedating? Would alternating ambien and halcion prevent some tolerance at least? What about lyrica or gabapentin? How do those compare to eahc other for insomnia? Do halcion and gabapentin have cross-tolerance? I don't wanna overwhelm yall with all this questioning lol

@Iceberg how did remeron 45mg feel? Did you feel even more sedated than at 15 than 30 or was it actually activating at 45mg like some texts say

45, while I wouldn’t consider too activating, didn’t help sleep. If halcion works then you probably wouldn’t need the dalmane for now. I have found that for me halcion is the least hangover-y benzo, and I’ve taken it in higher dose than .25. You could alternate I guess, definetly would need pdoc to sign off on that plan. I know I’m beating a dead horse but I’ve had docs use Thorazine in a similar way for sleep, especially if I couldn’t take a benzo that night for some reason. I only bring that up again cuz it’s the only med I have a near 100% sleep success rate with...I know you don’t want the Thorazine tho so have u ever talked to pdoc about other PRN stuff that hits hard like an AP that might be deep in the bag of tricks?  Nefazodone is pretty rare these days but you could always ask. Lyrics and gabapentin can be used for sleep but I would think that since you’ve gone round lots of powerful stuff that they may not be super reliable for a monotherapy option...gabapentin didn’t make me tired at all...however I kno one person that likes it +ativan for sleep, and one pdoc who uses it as a 2nd Line add on to other Meds so YMMV on that 

Taking Klonopin daily for 6 years has made me unable to get any effect from Ambien. I have to take at least 30mg of Ambien for it to put me to sleep, which is too much. I think benzos have a cross tolerance with z-drugs. In my case, I take trazodone for insomnia if you would like to try that. Oh also, for some odd reason taking Restoril does work for me even though it is a benzo. But, I don't like the idea of taking two benzos. Look into that or maybe other z-drugs?

Benzos and Ambien don’t really help me sleep. You might be like it’ll mee. I find mirtazepine helpful as well as a decent dose of Seroquel (beware weight gain)