Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
DammitJanet

Update: solved. Lexapro: does anyone take it at night?

Recommended Posts

An addendum to my previous post, but curious to see if there’s any hope I may be able to take it at night, to avoid daytime drowsiness. I’m already very fatigued during the day due to...lotsa stuff. 

Edited by DammitJanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take Celexa, not Lexapro, but the psychoactive chemical is the same and I take it in the evening. Having said that, some people do find it energizing or even energy neutral, I guess it is energy neutral for me. You just have to try it to find out how it affects you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SSRIs can typically be taken at any time of day that is convenient and works with how they affect your level of awakeness. Total mixed bag. 

Edited by tryp
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jt07 said:

I take Celexa, not Lexapro, but the psychoactive chemical is the same and I take it in the evening. Having said that, some people do find it energizing or even energy neutral, I guess it is energy neutral for me. You just have to try it to find out how it affects you.

Thanks Jt.  I’m so scared to start it today. So much needs to be cleaned in my apartment. 

6 hours ago, tryp said:

SSRIs can typically be taken at any time of day that is convenient and works with how they affect your level of awakeness. Total mixed bag. 

Thank you for the info. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

It was slightly energizing for me, so morning. 

Didn’t cause drowsiness at all during the day? And what dose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, actually I went off of it, it was too activating. It’s been a while, but I think 30mg, IIRC

ETA: but I also had different than normal reactions to seroquel, so this is seriously YMMV.

Edited by Rabbit37
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

No, actually I went off of it, it was too activating. It’s been a while, but I think 30mg, IIRC

ETA: but I also had different than normal reactions to seroquel, so this is seriously YMMV.

Ok that’s scary. I too, often get odd or paradoxical reactions to meds. 

We’ll see how my already bad sleep goes tonight. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

What I’m most hoping for, is more depression relief and help for the anhedonia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on Lexapro for 6 years and always took it before bed. I remember my doctor saying it didn't really matter. If it made me drowsy I could take it at night. I can't remember if it actually make me sleepy but aside from restless and vivid dreams I was sleeping like a baby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

I was on Lexapro for 6 years and always took it before bed. I remember my doctor saying it didn't really matter. If it made me drowsy I could take it at night. I can't remember if it actually make me sleepy but aside from restless and vivid dreams I was sleeping like a baby.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m hoping I can sleep tonight as it hasn’t really add me drowsy today. Crossing fingers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, Celexa (citalopram) and Lexapro (escitalopram) were all kind of energizing and anxiety-inducing when I started them but they become more calming after a week or two. So it may not hurt to start by taking in the morning and then move it to the evening once you've adjusted to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I’ve already been on it for a few weeks now, so I’m just taking it in the morning with no side effects...though I have been getting headaches, so it may be due to the med not sure. Will probably increase it on Monday. Thanks for responding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Yeah, I’ve already been on it for a few weeks now, so I’m just taking it in the morning with no side effects...though I have been getting headaches, so it may be due to the med not sure. Will probably increase it on Monday. Thanks for responding. 

Are you planning on ultimately eliminating the Viibryd once you increase the Lexapro to 10mg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, browri said:

Are you planning on ultimately eliminating the Viibryd once you increase the Lexapro to 10mg?

That all depends on how I’m feeling...so far there isn’t much improvement. This drug is just a shot in the dark, as celexa never helped me. But since it’s a little different and supposed to help anxiety too, we’re giving it a shot. Just waiting now. See pdoc on Monday. Probably increasing it then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah if Celexa didn't help you, don't write off Lexapro just yet. It's definitely more potent than Celexa I believe. Also they both seemed to cause a certain level of fatigue but Lexapro wasn't as bad as Celexa. So in my experience they were a bit different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter what, I’m still hardly sleeping...unless and only unless I take Seroquel...which I’m not fond of. It raises my prolactin, which makes my breasts very painful and I’m groggy all day after. And it wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t affect me so bad. My mood after one night of no sleep makes me dysphoric and crazy feeling, and am cognitively worthless. Can’t even drive without raging either. Ugh. Doc won’t try anymore stuff out of the norm so I’m stuck. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

No matter what, I’m still hardly sleeping...unless and only unless I take Seroquel...which I’m not fond of. It raises my prolactin, which makes my breasts very painful and I’m groggy all day after. And it wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t affect me so bad. My mood after one night of no sleep makes me dysphoric and crazy feeling, and am cognitively worthless. Can’t even drive without raging either. Ugh. Doc won’t try anymore stuff out of the norm so I’m stuck. 

I’m sorry DJ. I had a similar experience with lexapro. Rage and crazy feeling. This was before they said I was bipolar and before they correctly said SZA.  

I’m sorry I wish I had the answer. Thinking of you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I’m sorry DJ. I had a similar experience with lexapro. Rage and crazy feeling. This was before they said I was bipolar and before they correctly said SZA.  

I’m sorry I wish I had the answer. Thinking of you. 

No no I must not have explained clearly, sorry. I don’t mean the Lexapro is causing that. I’ve had this problem with sleeping and all the dysphoria, rage, discombobulation etc for decades now. The Lexapro is giving me no noticeable side effects that I’m aware of unless my headaches are from it. The awfulness is strictly from not sleeping for just one night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DammitJanet said:

No no I must not have explained clearly, sorry. I don’t mean the Lexapro is causing that. I’ve had this problem with sleeping and all the dysphoria, rage, discombobulation etc for decades now. The Lexapro is giving me no noticeable side effects that I’m aware of unless my headaches are from it. The awfulness is strictly from not sleeping for just one night. 

Oooooh. Sorry I must have misunderstood! I apologize! 

I hope you get some good ZZzzZZZ’s tonight!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Oooooh. Sorry I must have misunderstood! I apologize! 

I hope you get some good ZZzzZZZ’s tonight!

You and me both. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...