CrazyBoards.org

Period woes

I had a mild eating disorder when I was younger.  It consisted of alternating between an extremely strict diet and binging (no purging).  I'm mostly over it...by allowing myself to eat what I want, but mostly without eating between meals, I am able to control both my appetite and my weight and keep the binging at bay.

But when I get my period I always go on a huge huge binge.  I mean, I eat in one day what I might normally eat over a period of 3 or 4 days!  It's like my appetite goes bezerk!

I'm still quite slim (size 4) but I'm always terrified that the binges will start me on a slipperly slope towards the problems I used to have.  Also, my weight ends up fluctuating around 5 lbs. at this time of the month due to the overeating, and I worry what consuming massive amounts of unhealthy (cookies, cheeses, etc) foods will do to me. 

Does your appetite get out of control when you get your period?  And...should I just not worry as long as my weight stays fairly stable?

i know that when i get my period, i will inevitably go on binging sprees.  no matter what my eating...errrr... difficulty is/was at the time, period = binge

have you tried maybe surrounding yourself with healthy foods with which to eat instead of having unhealthy foods around at your disposal?

Happens to me all the time! I eat way too much and then wind up with a stomach ache and a recurring thought of "Why the hell did I eat all that?!" but then again, I also have hyperthyroidism (which means super-high metabolism), so weight isn't a problem.

What I try to do to stop eating so much during my period is to just NOT go grocery shopping a week before, or during, that week. That way all I have in the house is ramen ;) And there's only so much ramen one can eat before going absolutely insane.

I had a mild eating disorder when I was younger.  It consisted of alternating between an extremely strict diet and binging (no purging).  I'm mostly over it...by allowing myself to eat what I want, but mostly without eating between meals, I am able to control both my appetite and my weight and keep the binging at bay.

But when I get my period I always go on a huge huge binge.  I mean, I eat in one day what I might normally eat over a period of 3 or 4 days!  It's like my appetite goes bezerk!

I'm still quite slim (size 4) but I'm always terrified that the binges will start me on a slipperly slope towards the problems I used to have.  Also, my weight ends up fluctuating around 5 lbs. at this time of the month due to the overeating, and I worry what consuming massive amounts of unhealthy (cookies, cheeses, etc) foods will do to me. 

Does your appetite get out of control when you get your period?  And...should I just not worry as long as my weight stays fairly stable?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, 45 year old ringing in, menopause factors at work, no doubt, BUT, first let me say: PERIODS SUCK ASS.

My period started in the middle of the night, and I had done well with the food and beverage thing through the PMS thing, but TODAY, well, so far:

2 heath bars

1/2 box of chocolate covered cherries

1 package (2 ea) poptarts

2 mountain dews

2 big glasses of water

1 chicken cordon bleu frozen food bad thingee

1 package ramen noodles

1/4 pound gummie bears

1 mounds "egg"

1 Ceasar Chicken Burrito

20 or so cashews

4 brazil nuts

So far...

I'm having a very rough period, but I've been having a PTSD mode and other turbulence. I have never had an anorexic or bulemic type eating disorder, but I've always had a fucked up relationship with food--like MOST women.

I have to keep things in perspective. What I really wanted to do today was hide in my room and get drunk off my ass, take a handful of Klonopin and sleep for 3 days. Some stronger drugs would be nice, illegal...nicer.

But I don't DO that anymore...

It's all about perspective.

Tomorrow's another day.

S9

i really dont have any good advice but i totally commiserate. i always binge the week before my period. it's like for three weeks of the month, i eat a relatively normal amount of calories (or actually probably a little less than normal since i am a twenty year old college girl in america, heh.) but for that one week, i can't get full. as soon as i finish a gigantic meal, i want more food. i am also very thin, and even when i complain about bingeing, my doctors and friends tell me i must need the calories because i don't really gain weight from it.

sorry for the narcissistic rant, but it does feel good to complain. my only advice is to eat as healthy of food as possible while you are bingeing (i know it's hard when you are on your period bc of cravings) but like 50% light cheese instead of regular (tastes really good to me), those sugar free low fat chocolate puddings are pretty good, pink lady apples are amazing (they actually taste like a treat to me) and have a lot of fiber, diet soda, etc. good luck...i know it sucks.

I think almost all women have this problem of binging due to PMS.  I don't know any that don't.  And chocolate especially!  I want some NOW.  I wonder if I can sweet talk the bf into a trip to the store.  this thread is maing me hungry!

Evil bitchy depressed cranky crampy Dee

i seem to be ravenous right before my period, and then once i get it, my appetite drops and i don't want to eat anything (with small bits, perhaps, of wanting to binge). i fixate on cheese.

i'm mostly like this anyway (it's what i told pdoc the other day when he asked if i have an ED), but it's more pronounced during pms.

pj

Oh yes, I'm in the same boat.  Slightly pre-period, I'm freaking ravenous at all times.  I want chocolate and salty potato chips, salty anything. Period stage, still starving...and then it's like bam, as soon as it's gone, i'm back to normal and usually loose the weight I put on while on the rag...which is good.  I still hate my body though even though I fluctuate between a size 0 and a size 2.  I've always had eating disordered shit, but I think it stems more out of perfectionism.  I don't want to be average or even slim.  I want to be little boy thin like the gaunt little figure skater/ballerina I used to be.  I have the palest skin in the world and blonde hair/blue eyes, so I've always idolized the delicate fragile look as opposed to healthy and curvy.....

one of my pms symptoms is greatly increased appetite....i eat huge quantities of food and am still hungry...then i'm hungry an hour later.  thank god it passes in 24 hours, otherwise i'd be as big as a house.

I have to agree. I always want to binge around my period. Or if I don't binge I at least end up eating very unhealthy. It's usually that I'm at school and get a couple chocolate bars or a danish or something. I try not to keep any "bad" foods (read: binge triggers) in my house. Although I still end up finding something to overeat on ;)

Personally I would try not to worry about it. THe more I obsess the more likely my ED is to get out of control.

AMeth

one word, guys: chocolate...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No shit.....no shittttt......

Before the period sucks.  I might eat a horse or tear through 6 jumbo hershey's chocolate bars.  It's just the way it is.  How can we stop this binge??  I hate being a fatty, I need to go back to boyish and scary skinny....

i seem to be ravenous right before my period, and then once i get it, my appetite drops and i don't want to eat anything (with small bits, perhaps, of wanting to binge). i fixate on cheese.

i'm mostly like this anyway (it's what i told pdoc the other day when he asked if i have an ED), but it's more pronounced during pms.

pj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i fixate on cheese too! weird.

I know what you all mean.  The week or so before my period, I eat everything, and crave anything sweet.  Right now its jelly beans.  I just bought some at the store, and have already tore into them.  I could honestly eat the whole freakin bag right now.  I really hate this. 

chocolate and bread, me. not together. but I restrict food (I have anorexic leanings) the rest of the month, and I have a fast metabolism or something.

for a while magnesium averted choc cravings...but, since efexor tapering, its been *gimmee chocolate NOW* each month!

• 6 months later...

I read somewhere that meatbolism is faster during periods, so you can theoretically eat more than normal without gaining weight - I don't know how much more you can eat though.

When I was younger I used to comfort eat a little bit and had massive chocolate cravings, but I can't say that had anything to do with my period, more to do with being depressed I think.

Now I'm too scared to eat a lot and can't without purging. I still love chocolate of course!

Archived