CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
dancesintherain

Appetite suppression?

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Hi all,

i know that topamax and Wellbutrin can be used for appetite suppression.  Are there other options?

Are you hoping to lose weight, or just maintain weight by suppressing appetite?.........According to link below, there are 5 drugs approved by FDA for weight loss:

One of them is a bupropion-naltrexone combination drug called "Contrave"

Another one is Qsymia, which is a combination of phentermine-topiramate

Liraglutide (Sandexa) which is administered by injection, so that might be problematic

Lorcaserin (Belviq).......And Xenical (orlistat), which works by interfering with fat absorption.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-drugs/art-20044832

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Posted (edited)

thank you both.  hoping for weight loss--I was 50 pounds overweight because of zyprexa (in part presumably), so I switched to Fanapt.  I've lost 15 pounds progressively, though I added 10 when going onto it.  However, I've been having messy sleep problems and I was wondering whether a small dose of zyprexa would help.  It did so enough (as well as making my head feel clearer) that I'm going off Fanapt and back onto zyprexa--and seeing if I can keep the weight loss up because I've developed a bunch of healthier habits.

I promised an IP pdoc that I wouldn't touch adderall again (I was put on it for energy but it likely is part of why I went manic).  My guess is that other stimulants are nixed for similar reasons.  I haven't heard of the others that you mentioned CR. 

Edited by dancesintherain

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

I haven't heard of the others that you mentioned CR. 

They are all approved by FDA for weight loss, so hopefully your doc might let you try one.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

that makes sense.  thanks!

Just wanted to give you a heads up about the medications I listed..... They are all pretty expensive, and some might not be covered by your insurance.......(I looked them up on goodrx for the prices).

Edited by CrazyRedhead

With amphetamines the amount of weight loss is not that great as appetite suppression does not last that long, it is quickly subject to tolerance. Unless you just eat nothing but amphetamine pills and then your weight loss will be rapid, as with any total fast. I've taken amphetamine in some form for decades and for the most part gained weight. Provigil has strong appetite suppressant abilities that did not go away after taking it for months. I have a friend who loves topamax for weight loss, she says she has not experienced tolerance of this effect. 

Topiramate, generic Topamax, is $3 for 30 25 mg tabs at GoodRX, the standard dose for weight loss. At this dose the side effects common to Topamax are unlikely to appear.

I lost quite a bit of weight on Ritalin.  But if stims are off the table i guess that isn't an option. 

Posted (edited)

If it makes you feel any better about not being able to take adderall, I never lost weight on it that I can remember. In fact, I continued to gain for the most part. I took one small dose of Adderall IR in the morning for energy/mood lift. I did notice my appetite would be suppressed for the 3-4 hours or so the Adderall was in effect. But then after the adderall wore off, I'd be super hungry so would still consume the about same amount of calories daily.

Edited by aquarian
  • Like 1

I lost more weight on Ritalin than I did on amphetamine. I never got used to the appetite suppression. Of course Ritalin is not an amphetamine. 

1 hour ago, aquarian said:

If it makes you feel any better about not being able to take adderall, I never lost weight on it that I can remember. In fact, I continued to gain for the most part. I took one small dose of Adderall IR in the morning for energy/mood lift. I did notice my appetite would be suppressed for the 3-4 hours or so the Adderall was in effect. But then after the adderall wore off, I'd be super hungry so would still consume the about same amount of calories daily.

Adderall doesn’t help me either. Dances does your current doc have the same reservations about stims? I only ask because if you have changed your core combo you might have more protection against mania. However if you personally are not comfortable with using any stims that obviously it’s a mute point 

Dances, is wellbutrin an option with your dx? The appetite suppresant side effect has still not worn off for me in the 1.5 years ive been on it?

The Nuvigil I take curbs my appetite well for most of the day. I just need to get better about not snacking later at evening time. But during the day I don’t really have much of an appetite.

I don’t know if this is considered a stim or not. Or if it would rock the boat of stability for you because it is activating.

I have bad sleep disorders so I take it because apparently I can’t stay awake during the day without it. Ugh. I hate being tied to a pill like that.

Anyway, just an option I’m throwing out there. (Oh and I’m also on Topamax and metformin too for weight management, which work mediocre, but it has helped some for sure).

On 3/29/2019 at 12:09 PM, dancesintherain said:

Hi all,

i know that topamax and Wellbutrin can be used for appetite suppression.  Are there other options?

thanks,

dances

I think Nuvigil probably falls into the too stimulating category, but thanks. 

I may give topamax a second go since it's cheap and easy to access, with the knowledge that there are other newer options out there.  My complaint last time, I think, was that it made me a space cadet. I'm not 100% sure that was the fault of the topamax as I had a lot of life crap going on at the time.  So I might see if that happens again. 

I only realized how real the "zyprexa hunger/appetite" thing is when I recently switched back to it from fanapt.  It's crazy. 

Vyvanse was working well to help me stick to a strict very low calorie diet but my pdoc put a stop to it as it's contraindicated in psychosis. I imagine most of the stimulants used for assisting weight loss would also be contraindicated. The main one I can think of is Duromine (phentermine).