CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Raspberry

Melatonin with Lamictal, Gabapentin or epilepsy?

Does anyone take Melatonin with Lamictal or Gabapentin and have any side effects? I've seen mixed study results on taking it when you have epilepsy so is anyone here with the condition taking it with no ill effects?

I'm awake all night and have broken sleep in the day. Its always been this way and I'm not sure what else to try. I can't really function well like this and I'm missing appointments etc. 

Melatonin is a supplement so it is not regulated so there is no guarantee it really has a) Melatonin and b) really has the amount it says it does. Taking large doses of melatonin is not well studied. Talk to your doc, he can help you with your insomnia.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Raspberry said:

I'm awake all night and have broken sleep in the day. Its always been this way and I'm not sure what else to try. I can't really function well like this and I'm missing appointments etc. 

I agree with notloki that you need to talk with pdoc about your sleep issues, and see what doc recommends.

There are many medication options to help with sleep.......Have you tried any prescription meds for sleep?...

Edited by CrazyRedhead

For what it's worth, I take melatonin and have for many years, I also take Lamictal.  My doc has never said otherwise, in fact my previous one suggested melatonin at night & light therapy in the am to fix my broken circadian clock (it's still broke if you ask me).  But I am not epileptic, just bp, if you have epilepsy it might be a while different scenario, so you really should ask the doc.

Also, in line with what Notloki said, its not regulated so there's no way to guarantee you are actually getting what the label says.  I've noticed a huge variability in potency between brands that are supposed to be the same amount.  So some caution is warranted.

8 hours ago, notloki said:

Melatonin is a supplement so it is not regulated so there is no guarantee it really has a) Melatonin and b) really has the amount it says it does. Taking large doses of melatonin is not well studied. Talk to your doc, he can help you with your insomnia.

8 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I agree with notloki that you need to talk with pdoc about your sleep issues, and see what doc recommends.

There are many medication options to help with sleep.......Have you tried any prescription meds for sleep?...

My Gp wouldn't prescribe anything and I figured they might see Melatonin as a safer option. Its prescription only in the uk but you can buy it online but like you said its not regulated and that was the route I was going to go down. Last Dr told me to talk to my neuro again but he was less than helpful, he also wouldn't prescribe me an antidepressant (apparently some can lower seizure threshold) and suggested I speak to a therapist first even after I explained NHS waiting times are up to 2 years, some services won't see you if you have a long term condition or one they don't class as mild (no history of self harm etc) and I can't afford one privately. I seem to be going around in circles with them. I'm speaking to a different GP on Friday so I'm hoping I can get them to write to the neuro on my behalf and try something to get me to sleep. I do struggle to get meds prescribed as I had a high risk overdose a while back and have never been kept under a mental health service for long, NHS usually see you for a set amount of appointments for CBT then of you go. Its pretty funny how you can be told you're high risk of hurting yourself or ODing but can't get any help to control these things.

5 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

For what it's worth, I take melatonin and have for many years, I also take Lamictal.  My doc has never said otherwise, in fact my previous one suggested melatonin at night & light therapy in the am to fix my broken circadian clock (it's still broke if you ask me).  But I am not epileptic, just bp, if you have epilepsy it might be a while different scenario, so you really should ask the doc.

Also, in line with what Notloki said, its not regulated so there's no way to guarantee you are actually getting what the label says.  I've noticed a huge variability in potency between brands that are supposed to be the same amount.  So some caution is warranted.

Do you have delayed sleep phase disorder? I already have a huge light box but I honestly don't think its doing anything. My sleep has been an issues since I was little and only getting worse. My seizures and sleep TC's so I know that's an added problem. I've been doing pretty well with coping with my agoraphobia but you can't really join or interact with the real world if you can't go out in the day when people have 'normal' kind of hours.  

Thanks for your answers, I guess I need to bed the Dr on Friday. 

I've never really asked about my sleep patterns as a disorder, I know I'm wide awake at night and likely to oversleep in the morning.  I also can go between insomnia & hypersomnia depending on mood. Like you, I've had sleep problems since I was a kid.  I just ordered a dawn simulator alarm, I'm hoping that might help regulate my hours.  I like melatonin because it's mellow, no drugged or hung over feeling the next day.  But you should for sure check about the epilepsy before trying it, I have no idea if there would be an impact.

No epilepsy here but i do take melatonin with gabapentin and Lamotrigine. Still titrating the Lamotrigine however.

no issues thus far.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

I've never really asked about my sleep patterns as a disorder, I know I'm wide awake at night and likely to oversleep in the morning.  I also can go between insomnia & hypersomnia depending on mood. Like you, I've had sleep problems since I was a kid.  I just ordered a dawn simulator alarm, I'm hoping that might help regulate my hours.  I like melatonin because it's mellow, no drugged or hung over feeling the next day.  But you should for sure check about the epilepsy before trying it, I have no idea if there would be an impact.

This is me but never get hypersomnia. I can't work out how to change my sleep pattern at all. I go to bed at a reasonable hour but I'm still awake at 10am so then sleep until 3pm+. I feel like exhausted all the time but night comes and I'm wide awake and ready to do more. I have a daylight simulation clock although I can't work out how to turn the bird song off so may throw it at the wall soon.

Really not sure what else I can do. I spent half of last night doing the 4,7,8 breathing technique but I still didn't drop off.

10 hours ago, argh said:

No epilepsy here but i do take melatonin with gabapentin and Lamotrigine. Still titrating the Lamotrigine however.

no issues thus far.

Thank you. Good luck with starting your lamictal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raspberry said:

This is me but never get hypersomnia. I can't work out how to change my sleep pattern at all. I go to bed at a reasonable hour but I'm still awake at 10am so then sleep until 3pm+. I feel like exhausted all the time but night comes and I'm wide awake and ready to do more. I have a daylight simulation clock although I can't work out how to turn the bird song off so may throw it at the wall soon.

There is a non-drug method of treating insomnia called "sleep restriction therapy", that works for some people.....

https://www.verywellhealth.com/sleep-restriction-and-behavioral-therapy-for-insomnia-3015232

Basically, the idea behind this therapy is to restrict your time in bed according to when you actually sleep.........If you get in bed and can't sleep within 15 minutes, get out of bed, and stay out of bed until you can actually sleep.....If you go to bed and can't sleep, don't stay in the bed tossing and turning.......It is also recommended to keep a diary of your sleep patterns.....For more details, see the article........

There are other articles about it that you can google easily........Wouldn't hurt to at least try it, IMO.

Sleeping until 3pm or later is setting yourself up for another night of tossing and turning......Think about it....If you sleep until 3pm, are you going to be tired enough to sleep again by 9 or 10pm?--probably not, for most people.

IMO, the reason why you are still wide awake at bedtime , is that you are sleeping way too late in the day.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

There is a non-drug method of treating insomnia called "sleep restriction therapy", that works for some people.....

https://www.verywellhealth.com/sleep-restriction-and-behavioral-therapy-for-insomnia-3015232

Basically, the idea behind this therapy is to restrict your time in bed according to when you actually sleep.........If you get in bed and can't sleep within 15 minutes, get out of bed, and stay out of bed until you can actually sleep.....If you go to bed and can't sleep, don't stay in the bed tossing and turning.......It is also recommended to keep a diary of your sleep patterns.....For more details, see the article........

There are other articles about it that you can google easily........Wouldn't hurt to at least try it, IMO.

Sleeping until 3pm or later is setting yourself up for another night of tossing and turning......Think about it....If you sleep until 3pm, are you going to be tired enough to sleep again by 9 or 10pm?--probably not, for most people.

IMO, the reason why you are still wide awake at bedtime , is that you are sleeping way too late in the day.

Thank you, this is definitely something I need to try. I've tried staggered sleeping but I've never got out of bed when I can't sleep, I lay there and daydream instead, so I think I'll have to try getting up also I spend a hell of a lot of time on my bed when not sleeping as its the room I use the most so I really need to stop doing that, I've never really thought of it as an issue but maybe that's a huge part of it. 

Last night I went to bed at 1am didn't sleep until about 8am woke up at 10 when my med alarm went off and went back to sleep until 1.30pm, its only 4.30 now and I'm already flagging. My issue with forcing myself to stay awake is that because all my seizures are in my sleep it means when I'm over tired I will have a seizure or if I have a seizure I'm like a zombie and will fall asleep. I really need to get better seizure control. 

• Like 1