CrazyBoards.org
confused

The ketogenic diet and remission of psychotic symptoms in schizophrenia: Two case studies

I don't have access to this study

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0920996419301136?via%3Dihub

i saw a blog  post about it in Psychology Today

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/advancing-psychiatry/201904/chronic-schizophrenia-put-remission-without-medication

2 individuals is a miniscule sample size.  Is there anything to this study?

I would rather be on a specific diet than all of these pills if I could be stable.  It is such a delicate balance with my meds.   Have tinkered with them, with pdoc, to a good result. Not planning on any changes.

• Like 1

I did keto for a year.  Lost some weight, but no remission of symptoms. 

My brother still does it and got off his ADHD and anxiety meds though. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, confused said:

I would rather be on a specific diet than all of these pills if I could be stable.  It is such a delicate balance with my meds.   Have tinkered with them, with pdoc, to a good result. Not planning on any changes.

Honestly, I would talk to your pdoc about it........There haven't been a lot of studies done concerning the keto diet causing  remission, so there's a little evidence out there, but not enough yet to say for sure, IMO.

Although, I really can't see any harm in trying the keto diet if you choose to, and the doc says it's okay........Not trying to be discouraging, but the diet is difficult to stick to long term....Difficult, but not impossible........When I tried it some years ago I just couldn't stay with it.....I caved in to the carbs......

YMMV though......If it's okay with your doc, try the diet and see how you do...Certainly can't hurt to at least try.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I do think there is something to the ketonic diet and mental illness. I was on an effective ketogenic diet for 3 years because I was on a very strict and low cal diet to lose weight and my body was burning fat to get the needed calories. At least, I was told that it was effectively a ketogenic diet.

My depression went into remission without meds during the years I was on the diet. If I went off the diet for any reason, my depression would come back and my mind would be muddled again. The thing is that I couldn't maintain the low cal diet forever once I achieved my desired weight loss. So I relapsed and here I am on meds.

I wouldn't recommend anyone going on a low cal diet, but adhering to a ketogenic diet might help some people.

Keto is tough!!! The carbs you eat are like next to nothing. I couldn't even do it for a week. I eat really healthy but sheesh do I love my cereals, fruit, pasta, rice noodles, and other things that you don't realize are mainly carbs. I don't really like meat all that much, so eating it basically every single meal was extremely difficult. I admire people that can stick to it, seems they do lose weight.

• Like 1