CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

I was prescribed Thorazine by a psychiatrist I saw when I was taking an Intensive Outpatient Therapy (IOP) program. The side effects were ok. Then I saw my regular psychiatrist, and she said I needed to get off of Thorazine if I was going to continue being a patient of theirs. So, why don't many doctors like to prescribe Thorazine? 

14 minutes ago, lisa2712 said:

So, why don't many doctors like to prescribe Thorazine? 

It just really depends on the individual doc.......I had one of my pdocs prescribe Thorazine without a problem.....Some docs feel comfortable prescribing it, and some don't.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lisa2712 said:

Hi,

I was prescribed Thorazine by a psychiatrist I saw when I was taking an Intensive Outpatient Therapy (IOP) program. The side effects were ok. Then I saw my regular psychiatrist, and she said I needed to get off of Thorazine if I was going to continue being a patient of theirs. So, why don't many doctors like to prescribe Thorazine? 

Got that same reaction after an inpatient, but that doc turned out to be idiot. Later docs let me, who had more experience or had been around longer, but always as a last line 

• Thanks 1

It’s just older so many psychiatrists these days don’t have as much experience using it. People also worry about movement side effects like EPS and TD, for which the older drugs get a bad rap (not entirely deservedly since the newer ones can cause those things too) 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

From what I have dug up:

Unfortunately, there is a comparatively high chance of EPS and Tardive Dyskinesia when compared to your run-of-the-mill atypical antipsychotic. Typical side effects include lethargy, drowsiness, disconnection from reality, emotional numbing and and apathy.

Edited by Simba Cub
  • Thanks 1