CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Blahblah

TOO overly-focused on Stimulants...

Posted (edited)

Just to preface, I don't take Ritalin for ADHD...it's more for Depression, motivation, procrastination, mental stamina purposes.

Has anyone found that you get TOO focused on it? Maybe because I don't actually have ADHD, but I start working on 1 thing and become OBSESSIVELY focused on it (like it brings out the uber perfectionist in me). I forget to eat, I don't take breaks from my desk, and then my brain just shuts off from exhaustion. At the end, I've accomplished only 1-2 tasks.

I have great difficulty switching tasks or getting all "priority" things done, because I get so stuck on working for HOURS on the same little thing!

Basically, my processing speed is much slower, I can't adjust to "fast paced" situations, because I mull on things, make revisions over & over & over etc. On the other hand, if i go without taking it, I lay around, procrastinate, lack all motivation, and I'm unable to start anything at all. Not sure how to solve this? Do other stimulants work in the same way?

Edited by Blahblah

Of the stimulants related to Ritalin or amphetamine, amphetamine is regarded as the smoother, softer drug. Definitely different from Ritalin. It would probably be a good idea to trial an amphetamine based product. I imagine you have already tried this but can you reduce the dose of Ritalin and still function ?

• Like 1

Impaired task salience (I believe that's the term: meaning impaired ability to switch tasks efficiently) is actually a sign of ADHD. Hyperfocus is also a sign of ADHD in some people, others it's impaired attention span.

I agree with notloki, amphetamines are definitely considered the smoother of the two stimulants. An even smoother stimulant is methamphetamine (Desoxyn), but it is considered neurotoxic, some say even at therapeutic doses, to serotonin neurons. (I speak from experience about the smoothness of the stimulants, except for methylphenidate, which did nothing at all for me. Dexmethylphenidate at just 25 mg made me have panic attacks...)

I do know what you mean though about not being able to get things done. I'm either hyperfocus or no focus at all.

What are your thoughts on trying an amphetamine stimulant like Adderall, Dexedrine, or Vyvanse?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, notloki said:

Of the stimulants related to Ritalin or amphetamine, amphetamine is regarded as the smoother, softer drug. Definitely different from Ritalin. It would probably be a good idea to trial an amphetamine based product. I imagine you have already tried this but can you reduce the dose of Ritalin and still function ?

Where I live, amphetamines are not prescribed. I could barely get Ritalin, and it will be a nightmare to even get adderall considering I'm not ADHD ? When I take breaks I can function - but I'm even more unproductive. I can't sustain any motivation or interest in anything.

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

Impaired task salience (I believe that's the term: meaning impaired ability to switch tasks efficiently) is actually a sign of ADHD. Hyperfocus is also a sign of ADHD in some people, others it's impaired attention span.

I agree with notloki, amphetamines are definitely considered the smoother of the two stimulants. An even smoother stimulant is methamphetamine (Desoxyn), but it is considered neurotoxic, some say even at therapeutic doses, to serotonin neurons. (I speak from experience about the smoothness of the stimulants, except for methylphenidate, which did nothing at all for me. Dexmethylphenidate at just 25 mg made me have panic attacks...)

I do know what you mean though about not being able to get things done. I'm either hyperfocus or no focus at all.

What are your thoughts on trying an amphetamine stimulant like Adderall, Dexedrine, or Vyvanse?

This is super interesting, because as a child, I would hyperfocus, sometimes on irrelevant tasks (or if was something particularly enjoyable). Maybe the Ritalin is in fact, heightening this hyper-focus on 1 task - For example, it's like having an assignment to write a short essay, yet over-revising the introduction, obsessing hours straight and then not even turning the thing in! Counterproductive.

I dont' have access to any other stimulant, I could potentially try to get adderall, but it would mean jumping through a million hoops and having to justify all over again, why the heck I need a stimulant in the first place.

Posted (edited)

I also recall reading somewhere that if someone without ADHD, takes methylphenidate over time, they are more vulnerable to developing hyper-focused or rigid behavior, difficulties with multitasking, even problems with short-term working memory, increased depression. Anyone know if this is true or is it just BS?

In my experience (taking it pretty consistently for over 1 year now) it really has helped me focus on difficult subjects and has improved cognitive performance.  But it makes me habitually sit for 12+ hours straight studying and reading on the computer, no breaks to even walk outside. This doesn't seem healthy, but stopping & starting it (not taking it consistently every day) worsens mood swings. Does anyone experience this?

Edited by Blahblah

I try to take breaks from dexedrine every couple of weeks so it works better.  Usually I feel really depressed the first day, no focus, just want to sleep.  The day after I am usually OK. 

Sometimes when I take it, it makes me hyper focused on different things.  I also tend to jump from task sometimes.  I think this is due to extreme boredom possibly. 

When I took Ritalin I would do the same thing for hours.  Reading, watching, drawing, whatever.  I didn't like that feeling.  Plus over time it just made me really angry. 

3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Where I live, amphetamines are not prescribed. I could barely get Ritalin, and it will be a nightmare to even get adderall considering I'm not ADHD

Adderall is amphetamine.

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I also recall reading somewhere that if someone without ADHD, takes methylphenidate over time, they are more vulnerable to developing hyper-focused or rigid behavior, difficulties with multitasking, even problems with short-term working memory, increased depression. Anyone know if this is true or is it just BS?

Long story, which I don’t want to get into, but basically, idiot husband who was NOT ADD convinced his GP that he was (he cherry-picked googled symptoms, like I said, long story), and also convinced GP to prescribe an obscene amount (20mg/5x a day). It massively changed his personality, he became angry, couldn’t focus although he thought he was hyper focusing (lost two jobs in less than two years). It seemed like it basically altered his perception of reality. 

A lot of other factors were in play too, but yeah, if you’re not add/adhd, from my experience it could be very detrimental. 

45 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

Long story, which I don’t want to get into, but basically, idiot husband who was NOT ADD convinced his GP that he was (he cherry-picked googled symptoms, like I said, long story), and also convinced GP to prescribe an obscene amount (20mg/5x a day). It massively changed his personality, he became angry, couldn’t focus although he thought he was hyper focusing (lost two jobs in less than two years). It seemed like it basically altered his perception of reality. 

A lot of other factors were in play too, but yeah, if you’re not add/adhd, from my experience it could be very detrimental. 

I’m not adhd but I get lots of benefit from 20x3 of adderall as far as depression., focus, and battling fatigue. I’ve had no long term I’ll physical effects besides building a tolerance 

It used to be common to use amphetamine as an antidepressant booster, often paired with a MAOI. Sedation from meds is a real issue and right now all we can do about it is reduce the dose or add one of the 3 stimulants. I think there are select places where amphetamine can be used in a non-ADHD diagnosis.