Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Blahblah

TOO overly-focused on Stimulants...

Recommended Posts

Just to preface, I don't take Ritalin for ADHD...it's more for Depression, motivation, procrastination, mental stamina purposes.

Has anyone found that you get TOO focused on it? Maybe because I don't actually have ADHD, but I start working on 1 thing and become OBSESSIVELY focused on it (like it brings out the uber perfectionist in me). I forget to eat, I don't take breaks from my desk, and then my brain just shuts off from exhaustion. At the end, I've accomplished only 1-2 tasks.

I have great difficulty switching tasks or getting all "priority" things done, because I get so stuck on working for HOURS on the same little thing!

Basically, my processing speed is much slower, I can't adjust to "fast paced" situations, because I mull on things, make revisions over & over & over etc. On the other hand, if i go without taking it, I lay around, procrastinate, lack all motivation, and I'm unable to start anything at all. Not sure how to solve this? Do other stimulants work in the same way?

Edited by Blahblah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the stimulants related to Ritalin or amphetamine, amphetamine is regarded as the smoother, softer drug. Definitely different from Ritalin. It would probably be a good idea to trial an amphetamine based product. I imagine you have already tried this but can you reduce the dose of Ritalin and still function ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impaired task salience (I believe that's the term: meaning impaired ability to switch tasks efficiently) is actually a sign of ADHD. Hyperfocus is also a sign of ADHD in some people, others it's impaired attention span.

I agree with notloki, amphetamines are definitely considered the smoother of the two stimulants. An even smoother stimulant is methamphetamine (Desoxyn), but it is considered neurotoxic, some say even at therapeutic doses, to serotonin neurons. (I speak from experience about the smoothness of the stimulants, except for methylphenidate, which did nothing at all for me. Dexmethylphenidate at just 25 mg made me have panic attacks...)

I do know what you mean though about not being able to get things done. I'm either hyperfocus or no focus at all.

What are your thoughts on trying an amphetamine stimulant like Adderall, Dexedrine, or Vyvanse?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, notloki said:

Of the stimulants related to Ritalin or amphetamine, amphetamine is regarded as the smoother, softer drug. Definitely different from Ritalin. It would probably be a good idea to trial an amphetamine based product. I imagine you have already tried this but can you reduce the dose of Ritalin and still function ?

Where I live, amphetamines are not prescribed. I could barely get Ritalin, and it will be a nightmare to even get adderall considering I'm not ADHD ? When I take breaks I can function - but I'm even more unproductive. I can't sustain any motivation or interest in anything.

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

Impaired task salience (I believe that's the term: meaning impaired ability to switch tasks efficiently) is actually a sign of ADHD. Hyperfocus is also a sign of ADHD in some people, others it's impaired attention span.

I agree with notloki, amphetamines are definitely considered the smoother of the two stimulants. An even smoother stimulant is methamphetamine (Desoxyn), but it is considered neurotoxic, some say even at therapeutic doses, to serotonin neurons. (I speak from experience about the smoothness of the stimulants, except for methylphenidate, which did nothing at all for me. Dexmethylphenidate at just 25 mg made me have panic attacks...)

I do know what you mean though about not being able to get things done. I'm either hyperfocus or no focus at all.

What are your thoughts on trying an amphetamine stimulant like Adderall, Dexedrine, or Vyvanse?

This is super interesting, because as a child, I would hyperfocus, sometimes on irrelevant tasks (or if was something particularly enjoyable). Maybe the Ritalin is in fact, heightening this hyper-focus on 1 task - For example, it's like having an assignment to write a short essay, yet over-revising the introduction, obsessing hours straight and then not even turning the thing in! Counterproductive.

I dont' have access to any other stimulant, I could potentially try to get adderall, but it would mean jumping through a million hoops and having to justify all over again, why the heck I need a stimulant in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also recall reading somewhere that if someone without ADHD, takes methylphenidate over time, they are more vulnerable to developing hyper-focused or rigid behavior, difficulties with multitasking, even problems with short-term working memory, increased depression. Anyone know if this is true or is it just BS?

In my experience (taking it pretty consistently for over 1 year now) it really has helped me focus on difficult subjects and has improved cognitive performance.  But it makes me habitually sit for 12+ hours straight studying and reading on the computer, no breaks to even walk outside. This doesn't seem healthy, but stopping & starting it (not taking it consistently every day) worsens mood swings. Does anyone experience this?

 

Edited by Blahblah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to take breaks from dexedrine every couple of weeks so it works better.  Usually I feel really depressed the first day, no focus, just want to sleep.  The day after I am usually OK. 

Sometimes when I take it, it makes me hyper focused on different things.  I also tend to jump from task sometimes.  I think this is due to extreme boredom possibly. 

When I took Ritalin I would do the same thing for hours.  Reading, watching, drawing, whatever.  I didn't like that feeling.  Plus over time it just made me really angry. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Where I live, amphetamines are not prescribed. I could barely get Ritalin, and it will be a nightmare to even get adderall considering I'm not ADHD

Adderall is amphetamine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I also recall reading somewhere that if someone without ADHD, takes methylphenidate over time, they are more vulnerable to developing hyper-focused or rigid behavior, difficulties with multitasking, even problems with short-term working memory, increased depression. Anyone know if this is true or is it just BS?

 

Long story, which I don’t want to get into, but basically, idiot husband who was NOT ADD convinced his GP that he was (he cherry-picked googled symptoms, like I said, long story), and also convinced GP to prescribe an obscene amount (20mg/5x a day). It massively changed his personality, he became angry, couldn’t focus although he thought he was hyper focusing (lost two jobs in less than two years). It seemed like it basically altered his perception of reality. 

A lot of other factors were in play too, but yeah, if you’re not add/adhd, from my experience it could be very detrimental. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

Long story, which I don’t want to get into, but basically, idiot husband who was NOT ADD convinced his GP that he was (he cherry-picked googled symptoms, like I said, long story), and also convinced GP to prescribe an obscene amount (20mg/5x a day). It massively changed his personality, he became angry, couldn’t focus although he thought he was hyper focusing (lost two jobs in less than two years). It seemed like it basically altered his perception of reality. 

A lot of other factors were in play too, but yeah, if you’re not add/adhd, from my experience it could be very detrimental. 

I’m not adhd but I get lots of benefit from 20x3 of adderall as far as depression., focus, and battling fatigue. I’ve had no long term I’ll physical effects besides building a tolerance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to be common to use amphetamine as an antidepressant booster, often paired with a MAOI. Sedation from meds is a real issue and right now all we can do about it is reduce the dose or add one of the 3 stimulants. I think there are select places where amphetamine can be used in a non-ADHD diagnosis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By mikl_pls
      I apparently have very treatment-resistant OCD. My pdoc hasn't said it, but I have gathered this from my profound lack of insight into my obsessions, psychotic preoccupations, and the fact that OCD is not only interfering with life, but treatment as well.
      I have tried novel strategies like memantine (30 mg), lamotrigine (400 mg), zonisamide (400 mg), topiramate (400 mg), etc. I've tried somewhat high doses of SSRIs (my pdoc hates prescribing anything at max dose) (fluoxetine 80 mg, fluvoxamine 100 mg (nightmare), escitalopram 10 mg (nightmare), sertraline 200 mg), SNRIs (venlafaxine XR 825 mg!!, duloxetine 120 mg, desvenlafaxine 150 mg, Fetzima (joke...)), Viibryd 40 mg, Trintellix 20 mg, etc., clomipramine 225 mg. I've tried various antipsychotics (typical and atypical) alongside SSRIs: fluphenazine 1 mg tid, perphenazine 4 mg tid, trifluoperazine 5 mg bid, haloperidol 1 mg tid to 5 mg x1, pimozide 2 mg bid, etc. Nothing seems to really help. Basically, if there's a way to treat it, I've probably tried and failed it or tried it partially due to conservative prescribing habits of my pdoc.
      I have not tried low-dose clomipramine + SSRI, supratherapeutic doses of SSRIs (pdoc won't hear of it...), higher doses of typical antipsychotics (for acute psychotic preoccupations), certain antipsychotics (thioridazine, clozapine, etc.). I'm thinking about seeking a second opinion from another pdoc soon because my current pdoc is no longer helping me. She just keeps me on the same useless regimen and never wants to change anything, pats me on the back saying "you're better than you think you are," and sends me on my way. The office staff are severely understaffed, and one of them in particular always bitches me out after my sessions because it's so late, but it doesn't matter if I take 5 minutes or 55 minutes... she's going to bitch me out no matter what about it. She never says anything to the people who go back there and take two hours though. Just me, because I'm at the end of the day. It royally pisses me off and I'm about to snap at her, and I really don't want to (the office staff person). I'm also about to snap at my pdoc and ask if she'd rather the meds kill me or me kill me due to inadequate medication. I know meds aren't all there is in treatment, but she seriously has to budge for something to change.
      I am seeing a therapist, but he's new and still getting to know me, so nothing has been done yet. He's taking notes and asking thorough questions though. I like him so far. He actually has a white dry-erase board in his office that he uses to illustrate things he's trying to convey to patients, and he's the only therapist with one in that whole office. I wish I could see my original therapist though. She's known me since I was 9 years old... She knows me like no other mental health practitioner knows me, and has the most extensive history on me. Last I saw her, she was in "partial retirement," which meant she blocked off half her office to this new guy (ex-pastor gone family counselor), disposed of all her notes on all her patients, sent half of her patients to this new guy, and kept the other half of her patients (mostly younger patients she said). I saw her twice or 3 times during that time, and she dismissed me after that. I wasn't really seeing her for my own purpose, but because of a problem I had I didn't know how to deal with. I tried calling her semi-recently when I was looking for a counselor several times, texting her, everything, and never got an answer, so I assumed she fully retired.
      Anyway, I didn't mean to digress so much in this post.
    • By Michelle1
      I hate being on adderall.  I can't seem to work when i'm not on it.  I'm on 15 mg now.  It's working, but I feel speedy & have a hard time sleeping.  I'm wondering If i go down to 5 mg, if I can still get some work done.  
      Does anyone just take 5mg of adderall?  
×
×
  • Create New...