CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  

Today I asked my therapist (who is a psychiatry resident) if it's typical to have a complete remission of symptoms with medication (as I've had with clozapine). He told me about 1/3 of patients with schizophrenia have symptoms remit on a medication regime. Then he quickly corrected himself, saying I "definitely don't have" schizophrenia. I asked him what the difference is between schizoaffective and schizophrenia and he said if I has schizophrenia there is no way I could be in a PhD program and actually succeeding in school. He also said schizoaffective has positive symptoms of psychosis (hallucinations and delusions) but not so much the thought disorder and negative symptoms. 

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had this conversation with their doctors. I always thought schizoaffective was basically just schizophrenia plus a mood disorder, but I guess that's not the case?

I think the Dx Schizoaffective Disorder was taken out of the DSM years ago. So, as with Aspergers, it is no longer a formal diagnosis?

9 minutes ago, Hume's doona said:

I think the Dx Schizoaffective Disorder was taken out of the DSM years ago. So, as with Aspergers, it is no longer a formal diagnosis?

It is still in the DSM....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Butterflykisses said:

It is still in the DSM....

ok

there was at least plans to remove it 5 or so years ago

my drs don't use it anymore (in australia)

Actually i got told the same by many many doctors, they all say i must be sza because there is no way i can handle two bachelors and succed in them. I dont really know whats the difference but even in hospital they told me something like that about sza once that sza have possitve and mood symptoms but not so many negative ones that can affect their thoughts and even motivation that much. which i still think is weird.

I got told that my symptoms were interchangeable - I could be labelled as having either Schizoaffective Disorder of the Depressive Type or Schizophrenia with Co-Morbid Depression... loosely. He prefers the latter.

Actually, it's true for both to have 1/3 of people with a schizophrenic illness or schizoaffective illness to have total recovery by 30 years later. They are seeing more people recover. Though many people with schizophrenia do struggle with functioning (myself included) recovery is possible. It's just not a requirement for the diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder to have lower levels of functioning. Both can be equally debilitating, but have roughly the same chance of recovery. I have read this in literature and have had this discussion with my psychiatrist, though I'll have to cite later.

Edit: psych used to use schizoaffective and schizophrenia interchangeably with me but I have not been depressed even without antidepressants for most of the duration of my illness, and so he seems to prefer to use schizophrenia as of late--my other mood symptoms are accounted for by my comorbid bpd.

Edited by xanathos
More info