CrazyBoards.org

CrazyRedhead

Help--Windows 7 support ending--what to do?

I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop computer for years, and have been pretty satisfied with it.....

However, according to what I read, Microsoft will be ending all support for Windows 7 in January 2020.......I guess I will need to purchase and download  a new software package for another version of Windows  before then.

Does anyone know if there's any way to get a download free from the internet?

Should I get Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?........Some people I've talked to have Windows 10 and said they didn't like it......Haven't heard much about Windows 8.1...

Any suggestions or recommendations welcome..........Thanks all

You don't want Windows 8.1.  It's a mess.  

I'm using Windows 10 at the moment but boot into Linux when needed. 

For the first year Win 10 was out you could upgrade for free but that ship has sailed.  Your best options will be to be buy a Win 10 CD or maybe try Ubuntu or Linux Mint, depending on your software needs. 

I wouldn't use pirated Windows.  It's dangerous to not get the official security packages and they are released.  

I'd go with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-English-Flash-Drive/dp/B075RM5BHV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=windows+ten&qid=1556199162&rnid=491286&s=software&sr=1-1

https://linuxmint.com/

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Velvet Elvis said:

You don't want Windows 8.1.  It's a mess.  

I'm using Windows 10 at the moment but boot into Linux when needed. 

For the first year Win 10 was out you could upgrade for free but that ship has sailed.  Your best options will be to be buy a Win 10 CD or maybe try Ubuntu or Linux Mint, depending on your software needs. 

I wouldn't use pirated Windows.  It's dangerous to not get the official security packages and they are released.  

I'd go with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-English-Flash-Drive/dp/B075RM5BHV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=windows+ten&qid=1556199162&rnid=491286&s=software&sr=1-1

https://linuxmint.com/

Thanks, VE.......I was wondering why I didn't hear much about Windows 8.1.....No, I will def not be using a pirated Windows 10...........Thanks also for the link...!!

If you don't use any windows specific applications, I'd second Linux mint. Their default install if your computer is relatively modern. Otherwise the mate or xfce version would do the trick

Wine is a Linux emulator for windows apps but I cannot vouch for the experience or ease of use.

If you are not very technical or don't have the drive to learn something new, windows 10 is quite good.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Linux. You can set it up the way YOU want rather than take what Microsoft has already decided FOR you. There are high-quality analogues to most Windows applications with the exception of games. If you are a gamer, you definitely should go with Windows. Of course, you can install both and dual boot.

• Thanks 1

If you go with Ubuntu, I'd a avoid their main distribution and go with one of their spins.

The default gnome 3.x shell is terrible.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!.....

I've been using windows 7 so long it will be difficult to change, but I think I can do it.

Windows 10 is at least somewhat close to windows 7.

Of the Linux distributions either the main version or the mate version of mint will be really similar in look to windows 7.

Just now, argh said:

Windows 10 is at least somewhat close to windows 7.

Of the Linux distributions either the main version or the mate version of mint will be really similar in look to windows 7.

If both of them are similar in look to Windows 7 (Windows 10 and Linux versions you mentioned), which one in your opinion would be better for me?

I'm not a gamer, but I like streaming movies online, if that makes any difference......Which one is easier to understand for an older person (50s) like me?

59 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

If both of them are similar in look to Windows 7 (Windows 10 and Linux versions you mentioned), which one in your opinion would be better for me?

I'm not a gamer, but I like streaming movies online, if that makes any difference......Which one is easier to understand for an older person (50s) like me?

Windows 10 would probably be easier. It is more inline with what you're familiar with.

While Linux works quite well OOTB, when it doesn't work it tends to be a bit troublesome. I'll  admit that even though I was a linux sysadmin for a few years, I constantly have to look stuff up to fix whatever went wrong with Linux. Thankfully it isn't too often. Also grrrr systemd (other linux users will understand)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, argh said:

Windows 10 would probably be easier. It is more inline with what you're familiar with.

Thanks..!!....... Sounds like Windows 10 would be easier for me....Appreciate the feedback..

3 hours ago, argh said:

While Linux works quite well OOTB, when it doesn't work it tends to be a bit troublesome. I'll  admit that even though I was a linux sysadmin for a few years, I constantly have to look stuff up to fix whatever went wrong with Linux. Thankfully it isn't too often. Also grrrr systemd (other linux users will understand)

i remember when arch linux switched to systemd from initscripts

it was a pretty simple transition, but lots objected

red, if you didn't grow up with computers, 100% go with winblows

• Thanks 1

I use Windows 10 at work. I found transitioning to it from my previous job, where I used Windows 7, was basically seamless. If you're comfortable with Windows 7, I think upgrading to Windows 10 is a very safe bet.

At home I use a mac. I got a macbook back in the days of Windows Vista. I had spent the previous 10 years tinkering with (cheap) computers and it was such a relief to have a computer that just worked right out of the box. I'm not constantly worrying about antivirus, anti-malware, etc. My first mac laptop lasted 11 years (including heavy use the first 5 years when I was college) before I replaced it - and I believe you get what you pay for. If my grandmother (who is not tech-savvy - my father is quite tech savvy, so he is not a good example) were buying a computer today, I would tell her to buy a mac. She doesn't have a lot of money, but a basic mac is something she could afford. I would not be as worried about her getting scammed or spammed. Like the ads used to say... it just works. 

If I were needing a new computer for personal use today, and a mac was out of reach financially, I would probably get something I could put Linux on. Any major operating system will allow you to run a modern internet browser, stream music and videos, and run software for budgeting, writing, photos, etc. That would meet the needs of most Americans.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, argh said:

The default gnome 3.x shell is terrible.

I, on the other hand, love the Gnome shell. It's the one I use every day. However, you can have as many desktop environments as you want and change them according to your mood if you want. I have both the Gnome shell and KDE. It just happens that I prefer the Gnome shell.

As for Apple, the problem with Apple is that you don't get what you pay for. You pay for cutting edge technology and instead get technology from 1 or 2 years or more ago. That's my rub with Apple. You need only look at the hardware specs and compare them. Apple just has their magic marketing fairy dust. And they are loathed to admit problems. They just today finally acknowledged a problem with their Macbook keyboards for the years 2015 through 2017. 

If you are talking about laptop manufacturers, I have had great success with Samsung. I also have a pretty good Lenovo.

• Thanks 1

@CrazyRedhead I have been thinking this through. If I were not into experimentation and not a computer geek, I'd go with Windows 10 because it is closest to Windows 7 in many ways. It's not a bad OS. VE was right about WIndows 8.x though. Skip it at all costs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jt07 said:

on the other hand, love the Gnome shell. It's the one I use every day. However, you can have as many desktop environments as you want and change them according to your mood if you want. I have both the Gnome shell and KDE. It just happens that I prefer the Gnome shell.

i prefer tiling window managers, with no DE

WMII etc

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hume's doona said:

i prefer tiling window managers, with no DE

WMII etc

This is the beauty of Linux. We can all have our individual preferences and still be using Linux. But with Windows, it's the MS way or the highway.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 12:17 AM, Hume's doona said:

i remember when arch linux switched to systemd from initscripts 

Don't we all! I'm not completely illiterate when it comes to technology but I can't understand half or what you and jt07 are talking about. Which isn't meant as any sort of criticism at all. I'll have to ask one of the kids how to set the VCR because I don't understand how it works. What? Speak up! People don't use VCRs anymore? Well fuck me sideways with a spatula. I'm not that old but I remember the good old days before Twitter when we had to offend someone to their face, and then we'd go at each other while riding a donkey and throwing meat byproducts at each other whilst humming hits from the 80's. An elegant weapon for a more civilised age.

But what I meant to say was Windows 10 can be expensive. It's actually free to download and install and apparently has very few limitations if you aren't using a product key. And these keys can be picked up cheaply from places like ebay or any number of online retailers. I'm running Windows 10 with a key I got off ebay, and you shouldn't need to go into double digits to upgrade.

• Like 1