CrazyBoards.org

Hi Dances!  Sorry about the pre-d but it looks like some small changes may help. Just wanted to add:

Diet Soda is really not good for you because of the sugar substitutes. Found this on web...”Diet soda has links to weight gain and metabolic syndrome, which can make diabetes worse or increase the risk of it developing. Some sweeteners in diet soda even cause insulin spikes in the blood which worsens insulin sensitivity over time and can eventually raise blood sugar levels.”

You can make smoothies everyday. It’s very easy and quick.  My girl takes them to work in large hard plastic cup with straw. I usually just use almond milk, frozen mangoes, berries (Costco has cheap frozen fruit), fresh fruit if I have, tablespoon almond butter for protein, water and little maple syrup which you could cut out. The advantage to home brewed smoothies is you KNOW exactly what’s in them. A friend puts in spirulina powder which was good.  You can also add kale, spinach, rice or soy milk   

I used to use a regular blender which was fine but my girl complained about the pulp so I bought the original small Vita Mix on eBay. It works great!  

Just making the smoothie makes me happy.   When that Vita Mix starts grinding I feel healthier  lol  

thank you both for the info and ideas.  I'm down to no more than one coke zero per day, which is actually significant progress.  My fasting blood sugar is also down to 73ish, which makes me no longer prediabetic by that marker at least.  My pdoc is going to give me until September/October to have the lifestyle changes take effect before measuring my A1C. 

I talked with my therapist and he was encouraging.  His thought was that if walking is something I can commit to doing, it's good for me.  I suggested that I try committing to the gym one day per week, so I'm going to try that out.  I'll also look into what I can get as far as in-home exercises are concerned.  Youtube is amazing sometimes.

I've been following this thread with interest as my last lot of bloods I was told that my sugar levels were at the high end of normal. Its scary how common PD is. Its 1 in 3 people in the UK. I've tried to cut back on carbs which is hard as its the bulk of my diet and I know I don't exercise enough. Being indoors all day makes it difficult and my physical health issues make me so bloody tired I don't try so I really need to get more motivated and make some effort to change this. I have been researching intermittent fasting but there looks to be mixed reviews on its effectiveness long term. Has anyone tried this or the 800 diet? 

The key is not to diet as diets are short term fixes. Change your everyday eating habits. Work with a dietitian to learn how to eat healthy. I went from full on diabetes to practically no prediabetes by modifying what I eat everyday. It took 2 years but my A1C test slowly went from 7.1 to normal. This is not something a short term diet or fasting will help because you get off the diet or stop fasting and you go back to your previous bad eating habits. Diabetes makes yo-yo dieting even worse for you. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going the nutritionist route.  It's sometimes covered by insurance.  I got three appointments at no cost with Cigna and I'm supposedly going to get six when I start with care first (change in employer).  I've found her helpful and good at tailoring things to what my needs are.  So for example this most recent appointment we worked on lunch ideas when I had a refrigerator but didn't think I had microwave access. 

I was told that stevia extract in small amounts are fine.  Zevia cola isn't great but it scratches the supper itch for a cold caffeinated carbonated beverage.  

I would have to pay to see nutritionist here. I guess as Dr Michael Mosley 5:2 diet, the blood sugar diet and intermittent fasting have been really promoted on the tv and forums I was hoping it would be an option. I don't need to lose weight but I do need to cut out so much crap. As for things like fizzy drinks I now buy sparkling water and add a tiny bit of squash into it but things like chocolate and carbs I'm really struggling to cut down on. 

Good luck with finding an exercise routine to suit you, I've dug out a really old Wii so trying to remember how to set that up.

There is a diabetic association website,  they don’t recommend any particular diet, but they show a plate with 1/2 veggies and a little carbs and the rest protein.  A lot of people do keto or low carb/high fat.  It is good you are taking it seriously.  I have type 2 diabetes. It runs in my family.  I still have a terrible diet.  The medications work, but I would need less and have more control  if I ate better.  I sometimes go to a uk diabetes website if I have questions.  If you are interested I will post the link.  

18 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

thank you both for the info and ideas.  I'm down to no more than one coke zero per day, which is actually significant progress.  My fasting blood sugar is also down to 73ish, which makes me no longer prediabetic by that marker at least.  My pdoc is going to give me until September/October to have the lifestyle changes take effect before measuring my A1C. 

I talked with my therapist and he was encouraging.  His thought was that if walking is something I can commit to doing, it's good for me.  I suggested that I try committing to the gym one day per week, so I'm going to try that out.  I'll also look into what I can get as far as in-home exercises are concerned.  Youtube is amazing sometimes.

Wow, !  73 is awesome.  You are doing great

• Like 1